Veiltail And Ryukin

Guest MrGQ

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a Ryukin and a Veiltail? I've seen pictures of some gorgeous very long tailed and finned veiltails. I keep searching and can't find any around my area at all-not even for special order. However, I also have seen pictures of very long finned Ryukins that look like veiltails. Will someone please educate me and if possible tell me where I can find pictures to compare the difference?

• Admin

Veiltails is basicly the type of tail on a goldfish, the shape of the veiltails body is the same style of the fantails body.

Ryukins are way different in the bodys, there bodys should have a high hump right behind the gils.

So in a since you could have a Ryukin veiltail mix.

This page will show you the difference in the fish :D

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/ftypes.html

Hi and welcome to Koko's! :hi

Let's see, the most important difference is the tail. A veiltail has a long, draping tail with no forking or indentations. Also the dorsal fin should be very high(tall). They have a ryukin shaped body though, without the big hump. Ryukins have the forked tail. I think veils are very rare. I have yet to see one with my own eyes!

Edit: Koko beat me to it!

Edited by glitterfish

• Admin

yeah she just might do that, i tried to see what the difference was but i dont see it, its like what is a Lionchu.

Interesting thread.

Thanks guys for the answers and the welcome. I look forward to hearing what Daryl has to say.

I am captivated the the long flowing tails-the longer the better. I think that's what makes goldfish so intriguing to me. I sure hope I can find one for my tank one day.

Good Grief!!!! I hope I do not let you all down!!!! :rolleyes:

The Veiltail Goldfish is, indeed, a separate breed of fish. This does not mean that you cannot have a veiltail on another breed of goldfish - as in a veiltail on a Ryukin or Fantail or even EggFish. This will not make them Veiltails - but a fish with a veiltail.....

Veils are fairly rare - you will not find them in a standard shop. But there are fish out there to be had if you get to know the breeders and dealers.... Ranchugirl, here on Koko's, has a few she got from a breeder.

You can find fish with magnificent tails in a fair number of places. I happen to be a fanatic for long, flowing goldfish finnage - I LOOOOVE the long fins. So I keep a majority of fish with magnificent tails.

A Veiltail goldfish is closely related to the Fantail and Ryukin - but the dorsal contour of the Veil is a smooth curve - you should see NO hump! I have loaned out my standards book at the time, so I cannot directly quote it, but what I remember is that the body depth must be greater than 2/3 the body length, and long fins - the longer and higher the better. (double anals, double paired fins, twintail,etc.). A veiltail on the true Veiltail goldfish has a unique carriage - diffferent from any other fish. It is a dramatic downward curve of the tail - so that it looks like a train of a gown trailing behind the fish. This is a mark of a true Veil - one that you should see in no other fish.

A Ribbon tail Ryukin (or Fantail) can demonstrate this downward drape, but it is not seen or recognised in any other fish.

The other distinct feature of a Veiltail is the tail shape itself. Glitterfish and Koko are correct - the veiltail's shape is the same shape at the ends as is the broadtail in a Broadtail Ryukin. This means that instead of any indentations in the tail - making forks in the tail (or lobes like a butterfly's wings) the broadtail/veiltail will have a straight trailing edge of the tail.

I have Broadtail Ryukins - a dear love of mine. I have had three spawnings of Broadtails - yeilding a fair number of moderately good broadtails and a smattering of ones that look pretty good. Depending on where you live, I would be willing to send you a few in a few months. I need to see how they are developing - I would hate to send you something that would not yeild the tail that you wish. Many look to be ribbontails, many are standard tails and some have Tosakin tails. There are a few broadtails in the bunch. There are fewer still, that combine the true deep body of a Ryukin with the tail. Coupling a calico color with a broadtail and a hump is a real feat - one that I am not sure I have accomplished yet.....

I will keep trying. Perhaps eventually.....

:)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the information Daryl and offer!!!!

The truly did clarify it for me.

Having a fish the a veiltail would be a true dream come true for me. Hopefully one day.

I agree that a calico would be a real feat and treat. :-0)

I have a very pretty Ryukin right now-my prettiest fish in my opinion. I'll have to take his picutre and find a way to post it. He doesn't have my dream tail by any means but is very pretty just the same.

Good luck with your fry. You'll have to post pictures soon.

I live in Florida, BTW, and have searched all over and can't seem to find a fish coming to Orland, FL (about 2.5 hours from me) or Jacksonville, FL (about 1.25 hours from me) anywhere.

Thanks again for the great explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

If you ever find a decent fish store in the ORlando area, good luck! I used to live in the ORlando area, and was quite disappointed with the goldfish selection. I used to have much better luck in south Fl (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami particularly), but who drives all the way down, considering the traffic! :thud

I didn't have much luck in Jax either, but I wasn't familiar with all the stores in that city. There is a Petsupermarket right off of the San Marco exit, across from Target, I believe, that sometimes had some nice fish. Althought hat was about a year ago, so I don't know how they are now.

Watch out for the Orlando koi show next year - there is a vendor there that always has some nice fish. Steve is his name, and don't be scared by his looks. Although long hair and looking somewhat frightening, he is okay to deal with. His best fish are usually gone within a couple of hours.

The two clubs in Jax also put on shows every year, and the one in the gold club area is the bigger show. One vendor there used to bring good fish, but I am not sure if he still participates. His name is Chris - big, huge, bold guy.

Check out the club page for the exact url's... :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Clubs.html

Guest avalon

Hmmm tis a pity Pearl had her tail chewed off, she had an absolutely gorgeous veiltail.

I find it interesting that veiltails are rare, around here if you get any fish from the nymph tank at the pet store, they'll generally grow up to be a veiltail.

Hmmm tis a pity Pearl had her tail chewed off, she had an absolutely gorgeous veiltail.

I find it interesting that veiltails are rare, around here if you get any fish from the nymph tank at the pet store, they'll generally grow up to be a veiltail.

Do those nymphs have forks in their tails?

Guest avalon

They look like a single tailed goldie with a fantails body when young, sometimes with a fork, sometimes not and when they grow to about 4 inches, look much more like veiltails. They aren't show quality or anything, just the product of someone breeding his pet goldies..

I know those nymphs as we got them here also in Perth. Unfortunately, veiltails are not single-tailed, and I can't imagine any nymphs (big or small) getting even close to resembling veils.

True veils are rare, and saying that nymphs will generally grow to be veils is quite a bit far-fetched....

well my lfs is really great with quality and getting rare fish but i have only ever seen 2 veiltails and they had to be special ordered. so yes i would have to say even in australia veiltails are very hard to find and those fish that you have seen avalon were most likely not veiltails

Its a shame, really, that veiltails aren't offered in fish stores - they are just not the fish for everybody, I guess. A bit sensitive due to their tails, they get red streaks more easy if the tank conditions aren't where they are supposed to be. Plus the fact that those long tails and very high dorsals are about as delicate as a bubble eye's bubbles - you don't want those to rip.

My brother lives in Germany, and I was really jealous when he told me a few years ago that he got 2 veiltails at a pet store for under 3 German Mark back then. Knowing my brother, I wasn't the least bit surprised when he told me months later that they didn't make it. :rolleyes:

Guest MrGQ

I'm so thrilled. I just got 3 veiltails. I got them from a breeder and had them shipped to me. That made me nervous. They were delivered on Thursday-the 5th. They are really young, 6-7 months. It's going to take time for their colors, size, finnage, etc to all develop. I just hope I do right by them. I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop and grow. I have them in quarantine right now. I think one will be all orange, one white with red or orange, and on e black(?). We'll see. If I can figure out how, I'll try and post a picture some time this weekend.

Oh, yes, please, me too - pictures, pictures! Which breeder was it?

Hi Guys,

Here are the pictures of my veiltails. I'm a little disappointed. They aren't as flashy as I had hoped, but they are young (6 months?), so hopefully wiht some Progold, I just ordered some, time, and good water conditions they will get larger, more colorful, and improve their finnage.

I've also included pictures of my 25 and 55gl tanks for the heck of it.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get these posted. I have had a horrible day. My computer got corrupted and I've lost all my files. I had 2 years worth of pictures (my last vacation-rare occasion, my dogs, puppies, family, etc) on there that are now gone forever. I wasn't even able to download them on to a disc first. Sorry for sidetracking.

Anyway...I hope you all enjoy the pictures and that they come through. I'll take some better ones as time goes by. I look forward to your feedback.

Bonsai-a blue(?) veiltail

461048687109_0_BG.jpg

Opal-white with what will be orange/red fins

137128687109_0_BG.jpg

Geisha-she's so dainty

227128687109_0_BG.jpg

Geisha again-should be red/orange with white markings

627128687109_0_BG.jpg

25gl tank-kept in my study

917128687109_0_BG.jpg

55gl tank-kept in my livingroom

417128687109_0_BG.jpg

MrGQ, maybe its just me, but I only see red X's instead of the pictures.

And sorry about all the pictures - that must have been quite a mess and a shock. What happened to the computer?

Sorry guys. That's odd. I can see them fine. However, I think, if you right click on the boxes, then go to properties and copy the URL you can open them in a new window by pasting the URL in the Address field. I hope you can see them. They weren't easy to come by. :-0)

Funky - once I started right clicking and copying the URL's, the pictures showed up... :unsure:

Anway, very nice fish you got there. I especially love your red/white one, she has such a beautiful high dorsal fin, and will get a stunning coloration when she grows up. The blue one is nice too, and maybe the forking in its tail gets less with age. I also love your bigger tank - that is some awesome decor in there! :thumb:

What breeder did you get the fish from? Just curious - I never had any other veils than the ones from Al Foster, but ordered some from Janet Purdum once she is up to par with her health again. I'd love to compare the different veiltails available.