Ranchu "standing On Head"

Kimma

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0ppm

Nitrite Level? 0ppm

Nitrate level? 10ppm

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.0

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.0

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 29 gallons, its been running for aprox. 5 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? AquaClear 110

How often do you change the water and how much? 1x per week about 25%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, The floating ranchu about 2.5", 1 ryunkin 3", 1 pearlscale 1.5"

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime with waterchanges, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Proper pH with waterchanges to stabalize my pH

Any medications added to the tank? none

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? Hikari Flakes, soaked first in tankwater

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

I just finished supper with the family and turned on the aquarium light to feed my fish and noticed my ranchu Brody was stading on his head floating near the top of the aquarium. Normally, this is how I thought he was sleeping, but he would get near the bottom by the rocks and float with his head down. I have never seen this behavior before. I am thinking that it might be SBD but I am not 100%.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to add that the pH from the tap is usually superlow, it hardly registers on with the test. I think that because its testing so at 7.0 right now we are going to go ahead and do a waterchange to try to get rid of some of the nitrates. I am out of pH adjuster so that's why I am so reluctant to change the water without it. I lost a lot of fish before we figured out what was killing them. I just read that this might help with SBD.

Edited by Kimma

Don't bother to change water yet - 10 n'ate won't hurt. I'd kill for a nitrate that low.

Check your ranchu's mouth - does he look like he wants to expel a piece of gravel. Sometimes they hang like this when they have something trapped.

Otherwise, head standing can sometimes mean intestinal worms.

Hopefully someone else can advise.

Please get yourself some more pH buffer ASAP. Without it, when you do a waterchange you'll be subjecting your fish to unnecessary fluctuations in pH which can be detrimental to their health.

Depending on the morphology of your head stander, this could just be a simple case of SBD or constipation. I would try fasting for a few days and feeding only peas for a couple more. This is the first step in trying to cure constipation.

Next, I would consider broadening your goldfish's diets. Try feeding sinking pellets, peas, bloodworms and other foods that easily sink without soaking. This will help to keep any and all air that may be getting into its digestive tract. Feeding a wide variety of foods is recommended anyway as they can greatly benefit from the different proteins, nutrients and vitamins available in such foods.

I hope this helps a bit. Post back soon. :)

Paul

Thanks Pixie and Toothless for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I found Brody stuck to the filter intake this morning. I really wished I would have turned it off now. But, I know that's not good either.

I purchased more pH buffer today, so I plan on doing a waterchange tonight. My other fish are still doing very well. They were doing so good too. I had had them for almost twon months. If anyone remembers all my fish that died before we figured out about the pH I lost 5 in as many weeks. So, its a very sad day.

EDIT-Also, thanks for the suggestions about the food. I all ready have some frozen bloodworms but haven't feed them any in a while. Friday I will pick up some sinking pellets and some peas. I might all ready have some of those, I will have to check the freezer. Is there any certain brand of pellets that are better than the others? I am working very hard to keep my fish happy and healty and I want to get what's best for them.

Thanks again,

Kim

Edited by Kimma

Stuck to the filtr intake??? Was he dead? I sure hope not....

Do you provide any plants or ornaments he can wedge himself into? If not, I would get him a nice bushy silk plant so that he can wedge himself into it to stay stable while he's resting......

Post back soon. :)

Paul

Paul-Sorry it has taken me so long to post back. It has been crazy at work, as usaual!

He was not breathing when I found him stuck to the filter. My other fish are still doing very well, no signs of illness. I am keeping a close watch on them. I bought some frozen green peas yesterday and gave them a whirl. They scarffed them up, just loved them. Still haven't gotten by the LFS for sinking pellets, but have plans too.

Thanks for all you help.

Kim