Equipment For A Large Tank

Hi all,

I am thinking of setting a large display aquarium - 5500 litres. This coldwater setup will be mainly for goldfish and a few butterfly koi.

Any suggestions on:

1. The best filtration system, including pumps, media, etc

2. Lighting

3. UV Sterilizer

4. Other equipment

Thanks.

Edited by JohnF

ok, I dont know how much that is in gallons but each koi needs at least 250 gallons, and are usually not happy in tanks, a pond is much more suitable for them, why dont you just go with some beautiful goldies? As for the filters and stuff, I couldnt recommend anything, but you dont really need a UV sterilizer, you would need a large filter and airstone though, lighting doesnt really matter when it comes to goldies I think, whichever you prefer. Hope this helps somewhat :D

Thanks Shamu.

I do not intend to house koi forever in this tank. I have got ponds for such. But showing some small tategoi would be interesting.

This tank will be a public exhibit, mainly for school children and its purpose is educational.

My concern is equipment. At home I usually go for diy, but this time I have "some budgeted spending money" :) and intend to go for the best efficient system.

Any suggestions on pumps, filters, UV's, etc?

well as I said u dont really need a UV sterilizer, Aquaclear filters are great. How long are u gonna keep the koi in there, I was just thinking that maybe the kids are gonna end up thinking its ok to put a koi in a tank, I really think u should stick with goldies, they're beautiful too

well unless you plan on getting green water or letting the algae grow you do not need a uv steriliser with the filters i would go with the aqua clear best filter brand around in my opinion. a goldie tank needs 10x filtration so you need a filter that pumps something like 55000litres and hour which is a hel'l of a lot of water. or you can have a couple of filters to bring your litres per hour up to 55000litres so good luck

Edited by rock4life

good for u, goldies look so pretty, u could get a bunch of different ones, and at the same time u could teach the kids that goldfish need a big tank :D just make sure not to mix single and twin tailed goldfish, and I wouldnt get any bubbleyes or celestials, cause they'll just end up hurting their eyes. Maybeu should get some fantails, orandas, pearlscales, and ranchus or something like that, that would look really cool. As for the filters, u could probably get a few aquaclear filters, those are great :exactly