Not Feeling The Magic...

Guest FishHobbyist1564

Guest Fish Breeder!

hi ive had two males and one female in a breeding tank where the water is higher than it was in the other tank where they live... now the males have MILLIONS of tubercles, and the female's anal vent is sticking WAY out! But there has been no action, the males dont even try to rush into her, they are just doing their own thing... why is this? Do they not like this female? This is the only female i have sadly :(

Why aren't they feeling the magic lol?

Edited by Fish Breeder!

I tried for almost 2 years - no joy. I had eggs, I had fertile males. I did not get fertile eggs.

I started back from square one - prepping the fish for breeding. Prep work starts the summer/fall before breeding in the spring. It involved proper feeding, etc. The fish are then given a proper dormant period.

After the dormant period, the fish are brought to spawnig shape. This can take about 2-6 weeks. Then, if you are lucky, they will spawn.

Many fish - the less genetically complicated - less "fancy" ones are far less difficult to get to that point. I do not know what you are trying to breed, but some breeds are very difficult - others, not so.

Many people who live in warmer climates (Florida, etc) report unsuccessful breeding of the fancier breeds because of the warmth.

IF there is ANYTHING bothering your fish - any parasite or small glitch in the water parameters, many of the fancier, more delicate fish will not breed.

This is very very late in the season here, and most eggs that I am seeing are not very fertile - yeilding very few viable fry from a release. The eggs are simply too old.

You may just need a bit more time.

Some males do their best thing when kept separately from the females and only placed in a tank with the girls when they are actively releasing eggs. Other males do better if kept with the females. Some are soooooo quiet in their breeding activities you may not notice what is going on. Others thrash and splash and glue eggs on your walls!

Give it time. If not this year, prep for next.

:)

Guest Fish Breeder!

ok thanks lol would you advise that i keep two males and one female or one male and one female? Also would you advise me keeping the male with the female or keeping him separate during the dormant period? I have fantail goldfish... Also how early in the morning will they breed? because i want to watch them and make sure to take them out immediately when they're done

Guest Fish Breeder!

i am adding to the post above...

My female and male just sit aroun din the corner, but when i have two males and one female, they move around and keep going... so would it be better to keep two males in with her?

• Supporter

I know you were probably exaggerating, but you said the males have millions of tubercules? Are they all on the gill covers or are they elsewhere on their bodies? I just want to make sure your fish don't have ick (a parasite) or something! Even my largest, most mature fish only has probably 30-40 tubercules, and they are all on the gill covers or around the eyes. Just checking! I would hate to have you have a sick fish and not realize it, but I apologize if you already know that-I never know how knowledgable people are about their fish until they have been around for awhile.

Good luck getting them to breed. :-)

Edited by jen626

Guest Fish Breeder!

lol i know these are tubercles. They are all over the gill covers, around the eyes (as you said) and they are also on the frint part of their pectoral fins (which is also another spot where they should be). There are no white spots anywhere else or on the fins (which would be ick... but yea they would probably have about 25 tubercles, not a million lol! :D

But here is my plan...I am going to keep the males in the breeding tank (there are two males). I will keep the female in a separate tank and i will start conditioning them. Then, when she looks like she has some eggs developed in her, i will put her with the males and let her get used to them for a while. Then when it is night time, i will increase the temperature and let it get warmer overnight. Then the next morning, i will see what happens! If they dont breed, then i will just wait until the next day, and the next, and then ill try conditioning them again lol! What time do they usually start spawning? Like about what hour in the morning is the average spawn? I want to watch and see if one of the males isnt active, so i can take him out.

Does that plan sound good??

• Supporter

LOL< I forgot about the ones on the pectoral fins. So you know what you are looking for, great!

You know, I am not a breeding expert, so I am not sure about the conditioning and keeping them separate and stuff. I am not sure if you can keep the female totally separate and she will develop eggs or if she has to be around a male for it to happen? There are lots of experts here though that will know the answer to that though, so hopefuly you will get an answer soon.

My male fish had breeding stars and chased for about a year before the females actually spawned eggs, but I was not actively trying to get them to do it either. When they finally did spawn, it was the night before a storm, which is something that can trigger breeding. Even indoor fish can tell changes in the barometric pressure and for some reason this triggers breeding. Large water changes, temp changes can help too, as you mentioned. I did a large 50% water change two nights ago and woe up to them spawning again. When mine spawned the first time it was pretty early when they start actually releasing eggs, probably aound 4:30 am, but they were still releasing eggs at 7:30 so I caught the end of it. Last time they started around 6:00 am. They do eat the eggs rather quickly, by the time I came out there was only pieces of eggs left, plus a few between the rocks and the ones stuck to the filter intake screen. They stick to everything too, and you cannot get them off, which I did not know. I thought I could scoop up the eggs and move them, but you either have to have a breeding mop, plants or a mat at the bottom to remove, or you can remove the fish, as it sounds like you plan to do (way easier!). The only reason I got some eggs was because I pulled my filter intake screen off and put it in a bowl, just to see what would happen-and I ended up with 50 fry!

So basically, I was not even trying to breed my fish, it just happened. And of course it happens right before we are going to move, which meant transporting 3 week old fry, who are very delicate. My fish are not fancies though, they are commons and comets, and apparently it is easier to get them to breed, so you may have to be patient.

Good luck with everything and hopefully someone will be by shortly to answer your more technical questions. I hope it happens for you! Fry are a lot of work, but also very interesting, cute and fun! :-)

If you plan on raising the fry in the tank where they spawned, you will need to plan on changing out 99.9% of the water after spawning. The spawn will drive the ammonia through the roof.

Right after the eggs hatch, you again have to watch for ammonia.

Guest Fish Breeder!

thanks guys, but does my plan on keeping the males in the tank and then putting the female in later sound good to you? Will the female still be able to grow eggs if there are no males in her tank with her?

(the plan that i am talking about is in my last post)

Edited by Fish Breeder!