Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

Guest fish

I'm so sorry, Fish. You've been working SO hard , it must be very upsetting.

Just until a mod drops by - have we ruled out an internal worm infestation for sure?

It been so long now that I've lost track along the way.

I really hope you can find a way to turn her around, She's such a beautiful fish.

:heart

Pixie

PS. Just one very LONG shot - but - my local lfs wonk has just told me about a miracle drug called 'garlic excellar' (?) not sure about the spelling or if it is sold your side of the pond. It is apparently a concentrate in which you soak the food. He says it will erradicate parasites and bacterial infections, too. He had a shipment of cichlids that were sick for months and after trying every treatment in the book he eventually gave this one a whirl and they were all better inside of three days. I am going to collect my bottle tomorrow so I'll post you back with the details. Anything is worth looking into at this point I guess.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all u have to dissolve 10 teaspoons of salt that has NO ADDITIVES in tank water then slowly add it to the tank. After 12 hours do this again with another 10 teaspoons. After another 12 hours do this once more with 10 teaspoons again. Leave it in for about a week, and only add back the salt that u take out. So if its at 0.3% and u change, lets say 4 gallons, u only add back 12 teaspoons of salt.

Hey Fish.

I'm about to go off to the lfs so I'll post back when I return - but meanwhile, I was just wondering about the salt.

What was your reason for wanting to use it? Is it to protect against the red patch becoming infected? Why don't you PM Ranchugirl and run it by her first?

If you do decide to use it, an easy way is to stick the salt in a bucket with an air stone (if you have a spare) and let it run over night until it is disolved. A spare heater will help this along too or you can pour a small amount of boiling water on top to get it started. Only use aquarium salt or kosher salt - NO household salt which usually contains a toxic anti-caking agent. Add the salt solution to your tank slowly having first made sure all the granules are disolved.

Will let you know about the garlic treatment when I get home later.

:rolleyes:

I have checked all around and cannot find any fish vets. I have PMed Daryl for advice too. I will add the aquarium salt only if advised by a mod. I am hoping it can help reduce stress and protect from infection. I do not want to complicate matters for Comet. She is probably very weak. I want to try to do what is good for her and whatever can help her. That is why I post the pictures so the mods can see the problem to figure out how best to help.

Edited by fish

Hi Fish. Sorry I'm so late.

I got hold of the garlic elixir as planned. It's not all it was cracked up to be and literally is JUST concentrated garlic. I've done some research on it today and it certainly does seem able to boost the fishes immune system and help it fight infection. I think you can probably do it at home - you just need to soak the food in the garlic and a small amount of water. It can't hurt but obviously isn't going to be a 'cure all'. I hope you can get hold of Daryl or Ranchugirl.

I have checked all around and cannot find any fish vets.

If you have LFS's in your town, you can call them and ask them who they use when they need meds for their own sick fish. I ran into that problem too when I just opened the phone book and started calling veterinarians. But the LFS's were able to give me the name of 2-3 vets that would prescribe antibiotics for fish, and also that new about fish diseases. It's usually the emergency pet hospitals that can help you, and not your normal cat/dog veterinarians. I don't know why they don't advertise that they work on fish, but I think it's mostly because they think fish owners don't care about their fish pets. :cry1

Thanks Lolafish, I went to the LFS's around here yesterday but none of them knew of anyone who could help.

The red area on Comet's bulge seems to be better today. It seems like it is clearing up. Thank goodness!!!! I will take some pics and post later today.

I just found this thread and you have been through quite a struggle. I think that if there were more people like you in the world, things would be a lot better. Have you ruled out that the bacteria could be producing gas andthat's what is causing the bloating to grow? That would make sense that when you started the medicated food that it would reduce the amount of bacteria and therefore the amount of gas......And check up on worms, too. I saw that someone had mentioned that, and I think that would be worth looking into. One last thing, if she is eggbound, then salt dips are supposed to help that. Good luck to you and Comet :thumb: !!!!!!!

Today Comet has no red areas. She seems to be hungry and able to swim down for just enough time to grab a pellet. Today is day 30 of her medigold. Do I continue giving her the medigold for longer or should I stop and put her back on progold??

Please Mods I need advice!!!!

Edited by fish

I don't know about the meds, but thats great that she has no red and is swimming!!!!! Is the swelling going down yet?

Man! No one around!

If no one drops by try mailing Rick at the Gfish Connection.

This time of year people are away, busy etc.... Tough when you need advice.

I'm really pleased she is looking more perky.

Fingers crossed.

:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone, Comet is the same today. Her bulge is still big. I wonder why it went down for a few weeks and has gotten big again :unsure: ??? I am continuing her medigold for now. I hope I hear from the mods soon for any advice.

Well, that looks much better, Fish.

I guess if it is eggs you may be in for the long haul while they re-absorb. Perhaps the swelling then shrinking is something to do with gasses caused by the eggs breaking down? Not sure at all - but if it was a tumour it would continue to grow larger rather than enlarge then deflate.

Thanks Pixiefish and Shamu. It has been 3 months already and I am so lucky to have a summer break where I can devote so much time in taking care of Comet. Schools will open in end August. Then I'll be back to work. Time will be very precious then. I wonder how long this haul will be...

Comet is the same as yesterday but she has a few very small red spots again. I think it may be the bulging that is making the reddness. I hope the mods can help soon. I did PM Daryl but havent heard anything yet.

Edited by fish

Well, I certianly hope she gets better before you start school and have to leave her for long periods of time.....She is lookig better from the pics you took yesterday, though, good job!!!