Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

Guest fish

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fish

Day 8 of the medi gold!!!!! Comet's bulge is definitely looking smaller today. I massage her bulge gently every day and put some vaseline on after. All the redness is gone!!!! Yay I'm so happy I can cry!!!

Guest fish

Day 11 of medigold. Comet is still the same. She seems to be swimming a bit more but when she stops swimming she floats back to the top, upside down. I still do the massage everyday before applying the vaseline. I hope I can help Comet recover as best as she can.

Edited by fish

Guest fish

Day 14 of the medi gold. Comet and I are still fighting. The bulge looks a little bit smaller but Comet still cannot stay down in the tank. Also today I noticed long, very thin translucent strings coming out of her. She also is pooping fine.

I know Metro-Meds can be given for a full 30 days if I remember correctly...so maybe you should extend the treatment with Comet for a little longer until you see marked improvement? I don't think you can OD on the meds right now, when you are still fighting an infection. Plus, the antibiotic food is usually very nutritious as well, so if anything, better than going back to regular food.

Glad you are hanging in there. As long as you don't see worse happening, it's all good.

Have you posted any pics lately?

Hello Fish

"Also today I noticed long, very thin translucent strings coming out of her. She also is pooping fine."

Could this be the eggs being reabsorbed and released?

I'm just wondering, as I've been finding these loooooong whitish translucent threads, too. I'd thought that it was some kind of bacterial problem and haven't been able to diagnose it so far. But today I saw for the first time a long thread trailing one of my telescopes with a single bubble on the end. I just read Trinket on another thread saying that can indicate eggs. Sorry, don't mean to crash your thread!!

How does she seem now? Able to swim a little more?

Comet seems the same as two days ago. She does seem to have more energy than before. I am going to continue the medi gold till she is much better. I will try and post pics soon.

Today Comet has a few red spots on her bulge area. I am thinking it is because that area is above water most of the time so I have applied extra vaseline so it stays covered and can heal. Everything else seems the same. Will keep everyone posted about Comet everyday. Everyone on this forum has been a lot of support and help so I want to say THANK YOU :thanks for everything and helping me not panic and stay focussed to be able to help Comet.

Comet is still hanging in there. She is still floating on the top upside down. she is still on medi gold anh her bulge seems to be growing bigger again. I take care of her everyday but am at a loss for what else I can do to help her.

Hi everyone. Comet is still alive but still floating upside down at the top of the tank. Just wanted to update everyone about Comet. :)

Hi everyone, Comet has some big red spots again on her scales where the bulge is staying above the water. I have applied vaseline as it has always helped before. I will be asking for help if this turns out to be something else.

Today Comet's bulge is very red and big. I am very upset and sad :( . We have been fighting this battle for about 3 months now. It is day 28 of the medigold. I was hoping Comet was getting better. I dont know what to say or do now. I just had a good cry today :cry . We have fought long and hard but today she is looking pretty bad. Does anyone have any suggestions for us to try to save Comet? Here are a few pics from today:

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x198/oo...t=Camera336.jpg

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x198/oo...t=Camera335.jpg

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x198/oo...t=Camera334.jpg

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x198/oo...t=Camera333.jpg