Sign in to follow this  
Guest fish

Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

Guest fish

If you advise I will try this but I am scared too. Will Comet get red spots on her scales after this procedure? How much pressure? I dont want to hurt her.

Edited by fish

Guest fish

Hi toothless, are you still there? Should I go try the stripping now and report back??????

Edited by fish

Im not sure, but I think u should try it

Guest fish

I want to try the stripping only if a mod is standing by because if something happens I cannot PM anyone and I'd want to make sure what I did was fine.

Guest morgannsmommy1

Im not a fish expert but i think you should go ahead and try it. I dont think they would have sent you the video if they didnt expect you to try. I imagine you would use the same pressure as if you were rubbing dried honey off your arm. The fish in the video didnt seem to mind so maybe comet wont.

Good Luck!!!!

Guest morgannsmommy1

Ps fish,

have you looked under the disease disscussion page? They have addresses and websites for fish doctors? I dont know where your from but maybe you could call one of them and then email the pics and ask them what is wrong with her/him? i know you have gotten excellent advice on here but it never helps to consult a dr.

just a suggestion of course. :idont:goodluck

Listen people! :stop

"Im not sure, but I think u should try it"

"I'm not a fish expert but I think you should go ahead and try it"

When Fish is asking if she should try stripping eggs now, she's asking the advice of people like Toothy and Daryl who actually know and are very experienced!

This is not a proceedure to be taken lightly. Whilst it may end up being necessary, it's also very risky; with the wrong pressure it can rupture the internal organs and kill the fish. So obviously she is right to want a mod standing by if she is going to try it.

Can everyone please remember that 911 is just like A&E. You wouldn't be standing in there going "um well, I'm not sure, but gee, maybe you should go ahead with electric shock treatment/open heart surgery/kidney transplant?"

The only person a patient wants to hear from is a doctor. So, unless you are certain or have a lot of knowledge or experience, don't offer advice here. This is not like the Discussion forum where people are still able to exchange ideas - this is a section where people have seriously sick fish and come for expert suggestions to stop them dying.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a trend which has been bothering me a lot lately.

Fish - as Toothless ended by saying he'd look for some other vids, I would take it that you're in the preparation stage. I would definitely take some more advice so that you feel confident you know how to go about it.

Edited by Pixiefish

Guest fish

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I will feel most comfortable doing this procedure with a mod standing by, so whenever Toothy wants to stand by so we can message back and forth before and sfter the procedure, I'll be waiting for the go ahead. We could also set up a day and time thats OK with Toothy.

sorry, I didnt mean to give out wrong advice :sorry:: , but to make it up for u I will pm toothless for u again, since u obviously need some help :goodluck

Guest fish

Shamu23, its allright, no harm done. I know you are all trying to help.

ok, thanks, I pm'd toothless, but he's not online right now, I hope Comet gets better :)

I pm'd another mod for u, Im sure help will come along soon. :)

Guest morgannsmommy1

Sorry for my thoughts!!!!!

I was just reading the whole thing and had it been me that is what i would have gathered to do.

Good luck with your fish and I'll butt out now.

Guest fish

Thanks morgansmommy1, I do appreciate your help and input!! I am preparing to do this but I will need a lot of Mod support and help before and after the procedure. Then Comet will need to be monitored closely by all.

Edited by fish

Hi. :)

Whether you do this or not is up to you. The success rate of actually clearing egg bound goldfish is supposedly rather low. In fact, too much pressure applied too late in the process of impaction can rupture the infected ovaries and cause the worst. It's risky and I don't want you to think any less. Here's a page I came across:

http://www.goldfishvet.com/faqs/eggimpactionquestions.html

I've read several of his (Dr. Johnsons) other pages in the past and he does not recommend it if the fish has been egg bound long. See, I can't really tell with a large degree of certainty that this IS eggbinding , I only have suspicions. I really wish I could tell you more. Perhaps just lightly handling her each day would help. Just to allow her to bump herself into your hands or fingers with her own body mass and momentum....

Sorry to discourage the stripping, I'm just not sure it's the right thing..... :unsure:

Guest fish

Thanks Toothless for the honest advice. Comet is on day 4 of the medi-gold. She is pooping brown poop everyday. I do give her a little light massage on her swelling everyday when I apply the vaseline. She also seems to be more energetic than before. I hope that is a good sign! Will keep everyone posted regularly. Maybe good thoughts and prayers do help!!!!!

Guest fish

Comet is still alive!!!! Yay :happydance . Day 5 of medi gold. She seems more energetic.

thats great news, lets hope she gets better fast :D

Hey Fish. This sounds like good news. :D

Have you got the metro-meds yet?

Go to 'treatment' and look for Ranchugirls thread called 'metromeds, something interesting'.

Pixie

Guest fish

Comet is getting more energetic. She actually swam down to eat her medi gold today!!! The bulge seems to be stable and not growing for right now.

Thanks Pixiefish, I will check it out today.

The medi gold needs to be given for 10-14 days. Should I do 10 days or 14 days???

Edited by fish

wow, thats great news :D

Listen people! :stop

"Im not sure, but I think u should try it"

"I'm not a fish expert but I think you should go ahead and try it"

When Fish is asking if she should try stripping eggs now, she's asking the advice of people like Toothy and Daryl who actually know and are very experienced!

This is not a proceedure to be taken lightly. Whilst it may end up being necessary, it's also very risky; with the wrong pressure it can rupture the internal organs and kill the fish. So obviously she is right to want a mod standing by if she is going to try it.

Can everyone please remember that 911 is just like A&E. You wouldn't be standing in there going "um well, I'm not sure, but gee, maybe you should go ahead with electric shock treatment/open heart surgery/kidney transplant?"

The only person a patient wants to hear from is a doctor. So, unless you are certain or have a lot of knowledge or experience, don't offer advice here. This is not like the Discussion forum where people are still able to exchange ideas - this is a section where people have seriously sick fish and come for expert suggestions to stop them dying.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a trend which has been bothering me a lot lately.

Fish - as Toothless ended by saying he'd look for some other vids, I would take it that you're in the preparation stage. I would definitely take some more advice so that you feel confident you know how to go about it.

I share these sentiments in a general capacity as well as within this thread. Everyone should be reminded that when taking advice online you should always research things yourself as thoroughly as possible. Ultimately the fish are your own and any decision you make in treatments are you're responsibility. The internet is so valuable in putting us in touch with people with experience but at the same time it doesn't hurt to be cautious and to take the time to try and filter and evaluate what is being advised.

Guest fish

Comet is a great fighter!!!!! I love her soooo much. She is still the same as yesterday. I didn't order the metromeds as I had the medi gold.

thats great, I wish her luck again :D