Sign in to follow this  
Guest fish

Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

hi, sorry I havent been around for a while. Glad to hear that Comet is such a fighter. I hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted.

Guest fish

Comet eats only when I hand feed her because she cannot swim down. I feed her a few peas with a crystal of epsom salt in each, every day.

Guest fish

Her red area is much better but her fin looks terrible still.

Guest fish

The medi gold just arrived. Please let me know if it is ok to start or wait. Its ingredients are sulfadimethoxine and ormetorprim sulfa. Do I still need metromeds too?

Edited by fish

Im not sure, but I think u could start the medigold, Im also not sure about the metro meds, but didnt someone say u need them?

Guest fish

Daryl said I needed the metromeds. I dont have those yet. I have the medi gold. I need Daryl to tell me if I should start it.

I'm going to log off for the day. Be back tomorrow.

Edited by fish

Hi Fish:

I just read your thread. You are in very good hands with Daryl and Toothless...they have helped me so many times. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I recently lost my favorite calico black ryukin to egg impaction. It happened so suddenly, One day, she was swimming fine, eating and pooping great and the very next day she was lying on the bottom of her tank on the side. Despite all Daryl's advice and all that I tried, there was nothing I could do to help her, it broke my heart. Don't give up! Although it looks bad, there is always hope!

You know, I have to little fantails that are flippers. If it is meal time, or if I come up to the tank, they flip right side up and swim fine, but if it is resting time, they flip and use plants to anchor themselves down. Sometimes, they even just sit on the bottom flipped upside down. It is so depressing because you want the best for your fish and it's so hard to know what do do. Looking at your fish, I agree 100% with Daryl - I definitely think thaty our little guy has something bacterial going on - my recent experience (all based on Daryl's advice) is that pristine water and Metromed is the best hope for your little guy. Good luck to you - and bless your heart for trying so very hard. :hug

Definitely go with what you have right now.

How is she doing? Can you update us on everything?

Good luck! :heart

PAul

Guest fish

Comet is still hanging in there. The red in her scales is much better. She fought me when trying the sling she hurt herself in the process. Her bulge still grows. I am starting day 1 of the medi-gold today, thanks to the advice of toothless <Definitely go with what you have right now.> Im keeping all my fingers and toes crossed!!!!! I hope this works.

goodluck with the medigold, lets hope it help a little

Pleased hes hanging in there :D Keep up the good work :)

Guest f1shface

I'm sorry for your problem. I had an oranda with constant swim bladder issues and used epsom salts to get rid of bloat. it worked for quite a while in addition to peas. epsom salt directions on this site. good luck

I hope he keeps hanging in there, it looks pretty bad, poor fishie

Here are a few pics:

Slowly but surely. Hang in there! Wishing you and your fishie well. It's so hard to see them ill. :ill

I'm glad the redness seems to be fading. That a good sign. However, the bulge growing noticeably is'nt. Whatever it is, I hope it ceases to grow..... :unsure:

How does the sling work for her? Are you still trying it on her at all? Is there a chance you could snap a few pics of her with it on? That is, IF you are still trying it.

Good luck and hang in there. :heart

Paul

Guest fish

Toothless, Comet is fighting me too much whenever I try the sling. At this point I decided to let it go because I dont want to hurt or stress her out right now. She has a lot to overcome first.

The bulge keeps growing and now is looking pretty big and the area is starting to look whiter. I am worried but will keep taking the best care of Comet to give her a fighting chance!!!

wow, its pretty big. Well, tell her that I wish her luck, I just lost one of my fishies, I hope urs gets better fast. :goodluck

Guest fish

I'm sorry you lost a fishie :sorry:: What was its name and what kind? Thanks for your good wishes. Comet says thanks too!

Edited by fish

His name was Bubbles and he was a tiny red cap oranda, he died of dropsy. Comet is a cutie, Im sure she'll get better soon :)

Hmmm, I wonder if this is some egg impaction. Tumors and such just don't grow that fast.... :unsure:

If this is egg impaction, your going to need to do something because they can rot inside of her and worse.

Should you choose to try, here are a couple videos that shows the hand stripping process:

The second one is the male but the process is essentially the same. Light pressure moving from the center of body mass towards the vent.....

I'll try to find some more vids....

Guest fish

Thanks toothless, I will check out the videos and post again. This is day 2 of the medi-gold. Comet did poop brown yesterday after having day 1 of the medi-gold.