Sign in to follow this  
Guest fish

Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

lets hope he gets better real soon, I wish him luck

Guest fish

Since yesterday Comet has been very quiet and has'nt moved very much. I dont know if she is worse in health or has gotten really spooked by my trying to put a sling on. Maybe I should leave her alone to calm down and fix all her hurts yesterday. Do the mods agree??

Also Toothless and Daryl plz let me know what to do in my answers to you above.

Is Comet confirmed a female????

Edited by fish

Guest fish

Comet has developed blood streaks on tail fins today. I wonder if it is from stressing out yesterday????

Oh God, that's awful!

I think I would want to get hold of a vet who could give an injection.

It looks like the capillaries are breaking down under the pressure of the swelling. Maybe the mods would disagree, but being saturday I'll bet everyone's going to be off line.

I'll try to see who's online......

Guest fish

Please I hope a mod can help soon. I apologise for being a pest but I am fighting for my fish!!!

I honestly do not know whether Comet is a male or female - he/she is definately one or the other - 50/50. But if I had to guess, I would put my money on female.

The red you are seeing may look absolutely AWFUL, but I believe it is the result of exposure to air. This is a nasty sore and can cause great stress, but is not life threatening in and of itself. It simply adds another layer of problems to what is wrong with poor Comet.

There is a chance that what is wrong with poor Comet is mostly bacterial. You said that he/she had red streaking in the fins first, before the floating, correct? Red streaking can be a sign of water that is not what the fish needs - in some fish the slightest amount of nitrite (0.25ppm) is enough to cause the red streaks and distress. But red streaks from poor water quality typically take a while to disappear. They slowly clear from the body to the tip - and can take months to completely clear a tail of red. If the red disappeared rapidly, I would tend to think of it as something other than common tail congestion.

I would still suggest trying MetroMeds from Goldfish Connection. They should work better for you than MediGold.

The next step would be to do as Pixiefish has suggested.... hie thyself to a vet and ask for them to help you inject the fish. It is not hard and you should be able to learn to do it yourself after a bit of explanation and a demonstration. The injection is typically given in the muscle of the belly. Since you will be piercing the scales, this will also not damage good scales on the body. Ask for Baytril - the dose is 0.05milliliters for a 2inch (body) fish, 0.1milliliters for 3 inch fish, and 0.2 to 0.3 milliliters for about a 6 inch fish. Baytril is quite forgiving - it is ok to err on the side of a slightly larger dose when in doubt. You will need to inject the fish daily for 3 days and the every other day for 4 days (two more doses). This may help. It may not.

Poor Comet looks to be in a pretty bad way. He/she is still worth fighting for - there is still a possiblity that you can cure her, but it is not going to be easy or quick. I wish you the best of luck. It is soooo commendable that you care so much. I wish there were a lot more people like you in the world.

:hug

Guest fish

Thanks Daryl. I have ordered the medi gold from the goldfish connection. I have also called all vets around and no one works with fish!!! Also Comet is now under a sheet of craft foam on top of the water surface. The foam seems to be much softer and safer at the edges. Only problem is it is not see thru so I have to remove it every time I work with Comet.

I have always kept my water well kept and changed every week or more. I even have not gone on a vacation for the last 2 years because I dont want the fisg to suffer!!!! The only thing I have not been able to eliminate is the nitrates. They have ranged from 5-20 but I do water changes everytime it goes to 20 to bring it down.

Edited by fish

Guest fish

Hey Pixiefish, thanks for PMing Daryl. Could you please tell her I have replied and am on and waiting for her. Thanks a MILLION!!!

Also Daryl the streaks in Comet's tail were very light and did go away fairly rapidly.

Edited by fish

Guest fish

Daryl, I ordered the Medi gold by mistake. Should I go ahead and order the Metromeds too? Please let me know asap. Thanks.

I really wish I could PM!!!!!

Edited by fish

Guest fish

I guess it is late and the computer keeps logging me off again and again. I will check back again tomorrow.

Edited by fish

Guest fish

Another morning, and Comet is still alive. I am so scared as to what I may find each morning when I go check on Comet. I have removed the soft foam sheet for a little while today after I applied the triple antibiotic ointment on Comet's bruised scales and fin. I know that area floats above the water but maybe I can relieve the pressure against its body for a while. Im just following an instinct here to see if the reddness will get relieved.

Go ahead and get the metromeds. Having medi-gold as well will come in useful if you ever need it. Just keep eye on expiry date :)

Pleased Comet is hanging in there :)

Edited by Blue

Guest fish

Hey Pixiefish and Blue, if I could give out awards you two would get the award on "Most Supporting" and "Caring". Thanks for sticking by me through this time. I am soooo exhausted today but I cannot give up!

Boy! What a saga this is! Poor Comet.

What happened with the sling? Did you give up on it to reduce stress? I'm thinking that if you can get the red area below the water line then it will be easier to see if the redness is due to dryness or not. I guess my worry is that if it's eggs and they are putrifying inside her then aggressive anti-biotics would be the only way to go.

Do you have a Garden Centre with a pond department near you? Very often those places will have numbers of pond doctors - well here in UK they do, anyway. People who pay squillions for their prize Koi's don't want to see them go out in hurry, so a pond doctor is who they usually call on when something is wrong. Just a thought.

I think you must deserve some Koko award for tireless fish care by now!

Oooooo! How spooky! We were posting at the same time with the same idea about 'awards'

It's telepathy!

Guest fish

The sling was getting too hard to do because Comet was putting up a big fight, so I have stopped working on thet till she is better. The redness was because of Comet fighting me on the sling. I keep it covered with the antibiotic ointment and vaseline. I also realised thet the redness could be worsening becaose of the pressure of Comet's body pushing up against the foam sheet ( to keep her submerged)so today I have taken the sheet out fo a while to see if it makes any difference.

Also with the foam sheet Comet was unable to swim around and as soon as I remived it she is able to move around. Hope something works!!! :unsure:

Guest fish

Yes it has and we both are not done fighting yet :noway .

Guest fish

I am now going to go to bed. No more changes with Comet today. Will check back tomorrow for any more advice. I have put the foam sheet on top of the water surface so comet can be submerged all night.

Edited by fish

Hello, Fishy Fish.

Just checking in to see how Comet is today?

Did you have any thoughts on the pond doctor idea? :idont

:pond

Guest fish

Comet is still with us. She is showing a reduction of the redness(I have been applying antibiotic ointment on the red area) The bloating is still there. A new thing I notice today is that when I hold Comet to apply the ointment, she seems to be trying to bite and nip at my fingers near her mouth!!!!. Is that her way of saying leave me alone-dont touch me??

I looked for pond doctors and have not been able to fine anyone here that can help me.

I'm also surprised that Daryl or Toothless have not given me any answers to the questons I had while replying to their queries! I hope they let me know what else to do soon.

Edited by fish

Hmmmmn. Maybe she's saying she's hungry.

Has she been able to get much food with all of this?

I expect Daryl or Toothy will be by soon - I know Toothy had some pet care issues of his own this w/end. It's frustrating when you're desperate for input, but everyone here is just offering voluntary help and sometimes they have work or other commitments. I remember when I was trying to save my Calypso and initially no one was around for days - I was really frantic.

If we work on the following basis :

a) if it's a tumor, then there's really nothing to be done,

b) if it's eggs, then what needs to happen is for Comet to get some antibiotics inside her, and the sooner the better.

I'm wondering what the others think about giving her an epsom salt bath? Would this be any help?

Are you still keeping the temp 79/80?