Sign in to follow this  
Guest fish

Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

Guest fish

The tank temp is between 74 and 78. Comet gets sinking pellets called Pro Gold, shelled cooked peas and soaked Anti Bacterial Medicated Fish Food. I have not tries epsom salts yet... too scared to mess anything up without proper advice. Also I have to hold Comet and take it down to the tank bottom to feed.

ps: thanks for the link Blue!!!

Edited by fish

Guest fish

Sorry I keep saying "it" because we are not sure if Comet is a male or female.

Hey there. Glad to hear there are no new symptoms.

Could you get the tank up to 79/80? Is there a heater in there?

I thought the link was really good. I was very interested by the idea of the 'weighted jacket' gradually lowering the fish in the tank so that the water pressure would compress the swim bladder and force the air to gradually dissipate into the blood stream. Did you see that? There was another link to describing how to do it.

Also, if this is a bacterial problem then continuing the medi food is important. Sometimes it's not strong enough, though, and other anti-biotics need to be administered. I'll let someone else advise on this.

PS To sex your fish - go to the breeding section where you'll find a couple of diagrams.

Edited by Pixiefish

Guest fish

No I dont have a heater because we only have 2 fantails. If you think I need one I will go out and buy it tomorrow.

Well, it would definitely help.

Fancies digestion is certainly aided by higher temps, anyway, and as SBD seems to respond to warmth I don't think you could go wrong. You will certainly want to use it in the Winter if it gets cold where you are.

Guest fish

I can cover the ac vents in the room to make it go up to 78 - 80. Will that be enough?

Guest fish

I got to go for tonight. I'll check back again tomorrow for any help.

thats great that ur fishie is doing better :D , Im sorry the mods have not come yet, im doing the best I can to get their attention, the warmer water might help, u should defianently try it

ok, I finally got a mod's attention for u :)

Hi there, Fish - sorry you are having such troubles with Comet.

Swimbladder is a tricky thing to treat, especially when it keeps on advancing, and the fish had it for a long time. It isn't even neccessarily something you did - could very well be that his quality of life (or lack of such) before you bought him contributed to his troubles now. He might have been sensitive to nitrates all his life, just nobody noticed it before or knew about it, and he has to suffer now because of it.

If you haven't tried it yet, put a small crystal of epsom salt inside a pea, and feed it to him. Epsom salt fed like that is a laxative, and might at least linder his problems somewhat.

You don't have a picture of the bulging belly by any chance, do you? That could either be Comet being a female, or even an internal tumor. Has the bulging continued since you started feeding him the mediated food?

Oh, and I'll put this into the 911 section - it definetely qualifies... :)

Guest fish

Thanks Ranchugirl! I will try the epsomsalt in pea today. Yes the bulging has continued to grow. His medicated food was stopped after 10 days 2 days ago. Yes you could be right. I was thinking of malformed swim bladder, egg impaction or a steadily growing tumor. I can try to take a picture of Comet but I dont know how to upload it to the site. Any suggestions???

Guest fish

I gave Comet the peas with epsom crystal in it. As i am new here I cannot post a picture yet though the picture would be able to make things more clear to the pros.

that looks strange, the mods will probably know what it is though

Guest fish

Sorry the main picture of Comet on post # 41 got messed up. I have fixed the picture on post # 44. Gosh it is day 3 and still no help yet. I'm sorry but i am very anxious about Comet. I hope it is not in pain or something. It is totally so helpless right now. It makes me sad to see Comet suffer.

Guest fish

Can someone ask a mods help please. I am too new and cannot pm yet.

Yup! I already did. Hopefully Daryl or Toothless will answer soon. What bad luck.

Edited by Pixiefish

That is some size of swelling. Hows his appetite? From angle of pic it looks like it could be a tumor as it is similer in shape to a tumor. As SBD doesnt cause swellings like that. Internal tumors do distend the body which is what your pic appears to show. Unfortunately with tumors there is no cure all you can do is keep the fish comfortable.

Guest fish

Comet cannot eat by itself anymore because it cannot swim down to the tank bottom. I have to hold Comet gently and take it down to the food and it eats a few bites. I am not sure how often to do this but so far am doing this once a day. Someone plz help so we can know what it is thats wrong with Comet.