Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

Guest fish

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The water is looking yellowish brown with a very slimy feel and a layer of bubbles on top. Now when I do a water change this evening does it need to be only 25%?

Yeah, you can definetely change more of the water, if you feel uncomfortable with just 25%. I can't remember - there is a filter on Comet's hospital tank, right? I would definetely check the ammonia/nitrite readings, and then do the water change accordingly. Lets say if the ammonia is up 0.5, then I'd change close to 80% to get it down to almost zero. If you would only change 25% on a reading of 0.5, you barely get it down to 0.3-0.4, which is not enough. So, I'd test the water and go from there.

How is Comet doing with the medicine now?

All Comet's red spots are gone. I have 2 aqua tech 5-15 filters on her qt tank but had to take out the carbon cartridge before treating with maracynII. Today when I do the water change I will put the filter cartridges with carbon back.

That's great news - hopefully the Maracyn 2 has given Comet a a break with the bacterial side of things. I'm not sure what others think, but it maybe worth repeating the course at some stage just to "knock it on the head" I think the bacterial side of things is the biggest problem with Comet right now and in the abscene of injected antibiotics it may be wise - but it's your call and then again the visable redness has gone afterall. Any reduction in the swelling at all? Improvement in behaviour? :)

Comet's behavior is still the same- good. I also have the maracyn, I wonder if I should use it next after a break so it may get the other bacteria. I think the swelling may be just a tiny bit better. I will check better after the water change now.

You can repeat a Maracyn 2 course another time after the intial course - I think that's what I'd do now personally.

If the red spots started to reduce during an initial course of Maracyn 2 (which acts mainly agaisnt gram negative bacteria) but has now started to return it may well be worth repeating the course after all.

Or maybe try a course of plain old Maracyn (which is active against gram positive bacteria) - it may respond better to that?

I don't know what else to suggest either. One things for sure - the Metro-Meds are keeping things at bay anyway, so continue that for sure :exactly

I am going to try a course of maracyn and see if that helps any better. Still no luck in finding a vet willing to help. Comet's red spots that were there yesterday disappeared today after I applied vaseline on the area. So maybe I should wait a little before I start the maracyn?

Comet's red spots that were there yesterday disappeared today after I applied vaseline on the area.

Oh that's interesting.. I wonder why it helped so much?

I think we all assumed the cause of the red spots was proabably a systemic bacterial infection but maybe the spots are more superficial in nature, especially if they are responding to a topical coating like vasaline?

Do they look more like abrasions, are the spots showing through the scales or has he lost scales in those areas? You were using a topical antibiotic cream or something once before, right? - maybe you could start that again and see if it helps too?

I'm just wondering if a topical dip of some sort may be more effective in this case - don't ask me what though..

I don't really know what else to suggest, PM Andrea again to look at your thread and see what she thinks :)

I'll post some pics soon. Comet has no lost scales and the red spots show through the scales. Sometimes when they dont go away so easy I think its turned into an infection but at other times when they go away with vaseline I think they are there because of the bulge being above water.

It is really tricky with those red spots, hm? Again, if they are mostly in the area where the fish is exposed to air, or whatever is keeping him down in the water (I assume, you still have that floating device in there, right? :unsure: ), then I'd think its from just that exposure. If the spots are on other places on the body, then it could be something else. Vaseline not only keeps the area from drying out, it also helps with any bacterial issue that might be going on at that spot.

Comet didn't respond much to the MaracynII treatment, right? Have you started the other Maracyn yet? :)

Archived