Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

Guest fish

Wow, look how nicely the redness has healed up - at least I hope it isn't just the pictures... :unsure:

How does Comet like the Metromeds? He gets a nice load of it, yes?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 5 of metromeds. By the way how many days should metromeds be given?? The redness has cleared up and Comet loves her metromeds. She even tries real hard to swim down to grab a pellet or two from the bottom of the tank.

Day 6 of metromeds. Comet is again having a hard time swimming down to get her food so I have to help her go down to eat the metromed pellets. She is having some regular poop but also long translucent stringy poop too. Here are some pics...

Camera354.jpg

Camera353.jpg

Camera352.jpg

Camera351.jpg

Edited by fish

Fish, good news about Comet!

And Metromed, just like Medigold, can be given just fine for up to a month, which I definetely would recommend as long as you still see that stringy poop. :thumb:

Hello Fish :rolleyes: I'm back from 10 days away and so glad to see Comet still hanging in there.

You know, those long thin strands are exactly what my telescopes were leaving around the tank. I wonder what RanchuG thinks it is. Is it eggs, internal worm poop, bac infection? I wish someone could say......

Anyway, you've been amazing with her. I'm off again later today so will check in when I get back in another 10 days or so.

Fingers crossed

:goldfish:

Day 10 of metromeds... One change I noticed is that Comet has not pooped for two days now. Should I feed peas along with the metromeds?? Comet has also stopped moving around a lot so I have started walking her few times a day.

Well, not pooping doesn't help his upside down issue, so yes, feed a pea or two in addition to the metromed. I suspect that Metromed might plug some fish up - not just Comet, but I have noticed that with some of my food sensitive fish sometimes. I soak Metromed a little bit before feeding. It takes forever to fully soft up, but a little bit helps. :)

The peas helped Comet poop yesterday. The bulge is looking bigger. Comet has developed few red spots on the bulge again. I applied antibiotic ointment. Feeling so frustrated, I wish the bulge could go away somehow so Comet could get better.

On someone else's topic i saw that, rarley, but sometimesit is beneficial to take a needle and pundture the fish to release things....I wouldn't do this without talking to a mod and reeeeeally knowing what you are doing first, but it may be a route to take. Hang in there Comet!!!

Comet has started getting more red spots again like before. I am applying triple antibiotic ointment. The bulge area is starting to look so scary (almost ready to explode) :scared I just feel so bad for Comet.

Boy, there is just no way that Comet catches a break, is there??

How does the bulge feel now? Hard or soft and mushy? How does his entire belly feel - the same way? Fish, to be perfectly honest, I am beginning to run out of ideas here. I would suggest a round of amikacin injections or Baytril, but you said you can't find a vet to do it? :unsure: Can't remember that part without going through 14 pages.

I would definetely NOT try to try puncturing the bulge. You need to know where all the organs are in a fish, and what exactly is around that bulge, plus the fact that we don't even know what the bulge is made of. If a vital organ is hit accidentally, that would be fatal. You might release any toxic material that could be inside that bulge as well, which will kill from the inside really fast. Kind of like a raptured appendix in a person - not a good idea.

Somehow Comet reminds me of one of my calico ranchu. She has a huge belly, but all over, not just in one spot. Every time I think she is going to explode, the belly gets even bigger, and her belly is extremely soft and mushy. I have her quaranteened, and she is on Metromeds exclusively. I don't know what causes her fatness, and I have tried hand stripping her of any possible eggs without any success. At this point, all I do is feed her metromed, have her water temperatures up in the mid 80s and epsom salt in the water, that is all I can do. I have her for about 3 years now, and she is my most beautiful ranchu.