Help! Fantail Floating On Top!

Guest fish

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comet is not looking too good today :scared . She has little blood spots all over her bulge again :help: !!! Photobucket is down right now but will post a pic soon.

post-12918-1186334446.jpg

Edited by fish

Darn, I feel the pain just looking at poor Comet! :thud That is the spot that is constantly out of the water, right? And you are still having ointment on it, or not?

If that would be my fish, I'd try to get some egg crate stuff. Its basically white plastic that usually goes as cover into those cheap lights on the ceiling. I find it at my local HomeDepot in the lighting section, and it comes in sheets that you can cut to size. I would get that and put it into the tank, so Comet isn't exposed to air anymore. Boy, I feel so sorry for the poor fish.

That is how egg crate sheets look like... :)

http://www.collins-consulting.org/orchids/eggCrate.jpg

I sure hope the Metromeds get there soon. I put the envelope in the mail this morning.

Thanks Andrea for the Metromeds :thanks . I have been putting vaseline on Comet's bulge everyday. I will start to use the antibiotic ointment from today. I saw the egg crate sheet. The problem is that when Comet's bulgy body presses against anything so far it has gotten very bruised. I tried to use plastic sheets but whenever Comet moved around, the sheets would move and she would get stuck and badly cut on the edges. I then tried soft craft foam but whenever she tried to swim under it her skin would get badly bruised. I am trying to figure out how I could use something made of glass that has no edges she could cut herself on. Open to ideas.....

Yeah, that is a problem that the poor thing might get bruised with the plastic stuff. Hm, maybe something soft that floats? I would think maybe styrofoam, but it still might be to rough for the compromised belly.

Maybe a towel cut to the size of the surface area, then fastening it with a few suction cups?? Using 2 suction cups on each side of the tank, then cutting holes into the towel accordingly? If the suction cups even hold up a towel.... Maybe a soft kithen towell, that isn't too heavy??

Have you considered making a Pottassium Permanganate (PP) paste? That usually clear up open wounds on pond fish pretty well. I don't know how hard it would be to get PP in your area. I have a whole bottle of it, but the post office doesn't permit shipping it the normal way, since its considered hazardous material. Maybe a local feed store has it, or even Sears? The crystal form is the purest, and you can make a paste really easy with just a few drops of water. Just make sure you don't spill anything on you, because it stains everything you come in contact with - clothes, skin... and you would need to wear protective eye glasses, just to be sure.

I will try and look for the Pottassium Permanganate today. The triple antibiotic cream is helping a little. Some sores have started healing but a few look bad.

I floated a clean rubbermaid container lid on top to help Comet stay under the water. She keeps moving out but it still seems to be helping. Here are todays pics...

Camera346.jpg

Camera347.jpg

Oh yeah! Definetely much better now with the lid on the water surface. The vaseline is nice and all, but it doesn't contain any antibacterial things, so an antibacterial ointment most definetely should get some improvement on the issue.

Comet spends all day like this, or does he actually move around some here and there? You might want to consider "walking" him every so often, a few times a day. Basically hold him in your hand, right him into the position the fish would normally be, and just "walk" him through the tank like that. It stimulates the muscles he doesn't use at the moment due to his constant floating. Its similar to handicapped people that get gentle exercises by moving their hands and feet.

Comet does try to move around several times in the day and I do walk her if I notice that she is not moving around very much. She does double swim loops several times. I think her swimming is somewhat lopsided as it is probably hard for brain to compensate for her upside downness. A lot of times she uses the wrong fins for movement in a certain direction but she looks totally cute when the opposite happens!!!! :rofl .

The metromeds arrived today so I will start them tomorrow. Comet is looking much better today. Have not been able to find potassium permanganate so far but the triple antibiotic cream is working well on the sores.

I just realized that it has been over 2 months now that comet ha been in serious condition. i want to congratulate you for being such a caring owner, and I hope to God that she gets better. Keep up the good work and good luck to you.

How is comet doing now? I hope the metromeds is going to work, and if not perhaps Daryls suggestion of Baytril injections would be a good way to go next if you could possibly find a vet that would do that for you..many vets have Baytril - its a fairly common antibiotic- and might be willing to do it with a little persuasion :blink:

What a tough little fighter she is and you are a caring sweetheart to be so good and patient and devoted. Pixie and Shamu who have dropped by regularly have been so supportive and kind too. I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you and your comet that she will mend :hug .

Day 3 of metromeds... Comet is hanging in there. She had some normal poop along with a long translucent string yesterday. Thanks for your good wishes and support everyone. I will keep posting everyday.

Day 4 of the metromeds. No change in the size of the bulge yet. And now I have floated two lids on top of the water to keep Comet submerged most of the time. Here are some pics...

Camera350.jpg

Camera349.jpg

Camera348.jpg