Do I Have A Blind Fish!?

Guest Kilope

Guest Kilope

You know my mum mentioned last night that Peanut (my little orange/white common goldfish) had really pale eyes, so pale they were like a blue-ish white. It was just a comment and I didn't think much of it.

But now I'm wondering, could she be blind?

I'll press my face up to the glass and Gizmo (my other goldfish) will bolt off. They're both really small right now and young so shyness is inevitable, but Peanut, will just sit there, completely unmoving. She doesn't even flinch.

I'll move my fingers on the glass in front of her face and she doesn't blink (or do anything for that matter).

Of course she may just not care but is it possible she just can't see me?

She has done well enough finding food so far. And she managed to find food on the surface and if she pushed it while eating it she'd follow it for a moment or two. But maybe she can just smell it.

Both of them usually eat food that has fallen to the ground and don't usually venture to look up top... but as food is falling, Gizmo will dart after it and Peanut seems oblivious.

Am I way over analysizing this?

Does it sound like she may be visually impaired?

I'm grateful that all you guys have been so supportive for someone as ignorant as me. And I'd like to apologise in advance if she's fine and I'm just over-reacting to her lack of interest in the outside world.

Hmmmm, there's seems to be only one way to really tell. Stick your hand in there and move your fingers around in front of her. If you look really close to them, youll see that they actually have a little mobility in their eyes. If you see their eyes flitting here and there, you know their registering at least something.

Post back soon. :D

PAul

Guest Kilope

:)

Hmmmm, there's seems to be only one way to really tell. Stick your hand in there and move your fingers around in front of her. If you look really close to them, youll see that they actually have a little mobility in their eyes. If you see their eyes flitting here and there, you know their registering at least something.

Post back soon. :D

PAul

Thanks!

She seemed to move away when I started wiggling my fingers. I'm not sure that really answers the question, but I'll keep doing that periodically and see if it's consistant or if she moves her eyes etc.

She's not in any danger, so if she can't see it's not like a bird is going to eat her for lunch and she won't ever see it coming. And there's nothing sharp in the tank so for now she's fine, blind or not.

Thank you for the advice though. I feel a bit better now.

Guest Kilope

can u take a pic?

so we can take a look at her eyes :D

Sure, I'll be a little while though because my sister has stolen the camera and so I need to make a video, and I'll pick out the best shot of her eye(s).

One moment please. :)

Guest Kilope

Blah! Sometimes I really don't like technology. For some reason my computer couldn't find my camera.... so I took two really bad pictures with my cellphone.

I do apologise for their quality, but I think you can at least see the colour of her eyes... maybe?

___1peanut.jpg

They're a bit whiter than those pictures show. But with the cell phone camera everything looks darker. Her eyes are basically white, but with the slightest tinge of grey.

This may be normal for goldfish, but I'm not sure. Gizmo isn't like that and for most creatures that eye colour means blindness...

Edited by Kilope

I couldn't help but notice that her fins are clamped. Normally goldfish don't keep their fins clamped so close to their body. Do you ever see any strange swimming patterns such as scratching on the gravel, plants or the walls of the tank? Any rapid fin shaking at all? Is her appetite still strong?

Guest Kilope

toothless, I have to say, I made the mistake of trying to ask about that in another thread here. :(

I'm afraid just recently, I've noticed her appetite decreasing. She's not eating very much anymore but I take a tiny bit of solace in the fact that she's still pooping every now and then.

She certainly has um... different swimming patterns. Which have been making me very concerned lately.

She'll swim around rapidly from time to time, then other times she'll move a bit then go stiff and just sort of drift around. Occasionally I'll find her lying very still on the bottom of the tank.

I don't know if it's rapid fin shaking but she definately seems to have to move her fins more than Gizmo in order to stay in one place. I doubt it's swim bladder infection though, because don't though fish float upside down?

Everyone's telling me it's just a water problem and because I didn't cycle before I started, which may very well be the case... but I can't shake the feeling that the problem is with her and not the water because Gizmo is thriving and although I'm not a fish expert it seems odd to me that something to do with their water would only affect one fish and not the other.

Is she sick? What do I do?

I just recently read somewhere that you shouldn't buy a fish with clamped fins, I can't remember if she was like that when I bought her, but the fact that she's like that now... after reading that... makes me sick to my stomach. :(

I used CYCLE to help my first tank cycle faster but you have to do very frequent water changes and monitor the water quality very often till the tank fully cycles. Not giving advice but sharing what I had to do in the beginning.

Guest Kilope

What's CYCLE?

I'm afraid I think it's more serious though than just an impact of not pre-cycling. Peanut's not eating and that's not mentioned under the possible symptoms caused by not cycling before hand.

Cycle doesn't help your tank and filter mature any faster than if you didn't use it at all. It is the equivalent of snake oil. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help either.

The ONLY product that can help your tank cycle faster would be Bio-Spira (marineland labs) and is sold at select fish shops everywhere. Call ahead to avoid a wasted drive. Bio-Spira is and always should be kept refrigerated. So, if when you buy it, it isn't nice and cold, don't.

I would venture to say that your goldfish is suffering from either water quality issues and/or parasites. Is the tank fully cycled now?

Try answering all of the questions from the white box above. Please be a clear as you can and try not to omit even the smallest detail. Sometimes even the smallest bit of info leads to the "smoking gun".....

Post back soon. :)

Paul

Guest Kilope

toothless:

My tank is not even a week old (set up on Saturday, added them Sunday) and due to some unforseen circumstances, I had to move my fish to it before it cycled. It is cycling now though.

It is a 40 gallon tank. The water has been treated with Stress Coat. The pH is 7.0-7.2 and according to my ammonia tester the water has a reading of 0.00 or 'safe' however other members have questioned it's accuracy since it is a 4-6 week tester that sits in the water and monitors at all times.

I have two fish both of which are about an inch long. Peanut (the one in the picture) however is the only one exhibiting these symptoms. Gizmo (my other common goldfish) looks healthy and is acting normally.

I feed my fish a small pinch of TetraFin Goldfish Flakes twice a day, once at 7 am and once at 7 pm.

I have not (partially) changed the water in this tank yet but I moved them from a very small tank to the current one on Sunday and the water is from Saturday so I think that qualifies as a water change. I didn't transfer my fish correctly, it wasn't as gradual as it should have been... but I watched them and for 24 hours they seemed fine. They were BOTH eating and both were looking much happier and were swimming around. It wasn't until after 24 hours that small oddities in Peanut's behaviour seemed to worsen and further develop.

I don't know the name of my filter but it's a simple one. However it is powerful enough for my 40 gallon tank, I made sure of that.

Today's 7 pm feeding was very very upsetting because Peanut did not even emerge from her Hide-Away when I put the food in. Last time I fed them she at least swam up to it before darting away without eating.

She has begun to rub herself, I think... on the inside of her hide-away and has developed a few bruise-like spots on her side. They aren't by her gills but it's about halfway between her gills and her tail. Gizmo appears to have somewhat similar markings but they don't look like they're coming from under his scales.

I don't run my filter between the hours of 10pm and 6 am. I know I should but I can't sleep with it on and with my first set of finals tomorrow, now is not the best time to try and get used to it running 24/7. I turn it on first thing in the morning though and wait as long as I can before turning it off at night.

The only other thing I can think to mention is that Peanut seems to 'drift' on a very very slight angle. And her tail will ever so gently flop to one side or another when she stops swimming.

If there's anything else I should mention please let me know.

Oh, and it may not be at all relevant but I've seen Gizmo nip her tail once or twice.

Your going to have to bite the bullet and run that filter FULL time. There's no way around it. Even with large waterchanges each day, your only extending the bad variables detrimental to fish health. So, we need to figure out a way for your filter to be run all the time.

What is the noise that is distracting? Splashing water? If so, fill the tank to the brim so that the water easily courses across the surface of the tankwater. No splashing.

If that isn't possible, then just take some clean gauze or well rinsed towel or t-shirt and cut a square out of it so that the water returning to the tank is muffled as it flows across the towel. Just a large enough piece to do the trick, no more. Secure it well. Just place the towel where the water is returning.

If its a grinding noise then just try wedge little peices of paper in the impeller housing area to tighten the fit.

Finals or no finals, You REALLY have to keep this filter running. Otherwise your sick one/s will definitely get worse. There's no question in my mind. Do not trust those ammonia disks (by jungle labs I assume?

) A full set of test kits is your only hope here. Ammonia. nitrIte, nitrAte and pH are the necessities. They are detrimental to keeping your fish healthy.

These bruise like spots, Are they dark patches that resemble brown or black patches? That would be ammonia burns setting in. A definite sign that your ammonia disk isn't working.

Keep in mind that different fish have different resistances to water chemistry problems and even different resistances to parasites. Just because one fish is doing well in a tank with a fish that isn't doesn't mean that something in the water column isn't causing it.

Post back soon and good luck on your finals! :)

Hi Kilope.

I'm getting frustrated and worried about your fish. We have all been advising you in your thread in 'Dicussion' and you don't seem to be taking in the importance of what we've said. Starting up another thread here on the same subject is just adding to the confusion.

Please listen: The amm. monitor is almost definitely unreliable - the dark markings are almost certainly ammonia burn. As you still don't have a water test kit yet you can't know what your ammonia or nitrite levels actually are. You cannot cycle safely without a water test kit. Tests need to be run daily.

I have not (partially) changed the water in this tank yet but I moved them from a very small tank to the current one on Sunday and the water is from Saturday so I think that qualifies as a water change.

So this is the same water since saturday? and it is now thurdsay! It doesn't count as a water change. You need to be testing and changing water on a daily basis during the cycling period. Your fish may or may not have parasites as well, but unless you can get on top of the water you won't be helping in the correct diagnosis of symptoms. Turning off the filter at night will escalate the toxicity of the water.

Please don't take this badly - I know you are under pressure with your exams - but I can see what you're doing wrong and am anxious for you to help your fish properly. I think you are ignoring the obvious and looking for some other explaination.

Stop questioning the state of your fish and just change some water as soon as you get this post.

Good luck with your exams and post back soon.

Guest Kilope

Pixiefish: Um, more as a side note than anything really... I created this topic before my one in discussion. However after posting a picture that someone commented on, this became much like that topic.

I apologise if I'm frustrating you.

I however, could not have gotten another ammonia tester between Tuesday and today... and although it was the source of great annoyance amongst the people here... I have in fact, now corrected that. I now have API ammonia drop test kits and my ammonia level is actually at a little under .25. I appreciate your concern for my fish, and I'm sure they do too.

It's taken a while for it to finally sink in that it is just cycling because it seemed like my fish were developing more and more new symptoms everyday and it's taken forever for the reality of the situation to sink through my thick head. Ever since I was a child, I was always instantly assuming the worst in a situation rather than looking for a less dramatic explanation.

Don't worry though, I'm beginning a water change as I type this.

Thank you for your concern once again. And I'm sorry to be such a pain in the butt.

toothless: It's the motor that bothers me. I've tried wrapping it in a sock to block the noise but it essentially did nothing. It was supposed to be 'silent' but I doubt it could be further from that. I'll be able to run the filter tonight (because I have one final tomorrow and I'm not presenting then... just did it today) and so I don't need to be well rested then, nor over the weekend. And perhaps by then I will have gotten used to the noise.

I know I can be stubborn but I promise all of you, I'm really trying to correct this now. I'm taking what's happening for what it is and not looking for some worse reason and I apologise for not just accepting what you had to say to begin with. I know very little about fish and you all know a lot, I suppose my three month study of water didn't really qualify me to think there was nothing wrong with it... after all, I never dealt with goldfish inhabited water.

I'm truly, truly sorry for my ignorance and stubborness and I assure you I'm trying to make up for that now.

:thumbup: You got the API kit - well done. Now things will be much easier. Once you know what the params are, it's easier to assess if the fish might have some other problem or not. Many do have parasites and other things wrong so you are not mistaken to be watchful - it's just that if your water is off it can be very hard to distinguish one problem from another.

Don't worry - you're not a pain in the butt, it takes time to process all the info when you're starting up.

Seriously try the ear plugs - my husbands' snoring could wake the dead and if I didn't have the sillicone plugs I'd probably be serving life by now!

Keep posting

Guest Kilope

Pixie, earplugs have an incredibly short life expectancy when in my possession. ;) I take them out of my ears in my sleep and they disappear into or under my bed and I never see them again.

I'm afraid to admit however, that Peanut is still not well. She's not really eating very much at all and is still gasping but seems to be a little lessed stress. She probably has some parasite but I'm going to keep a very close eye on her for now and keep doing water changes.

Gizmo, is looking better. Before the water change I thought he was healthy and happy... well I think I now know what that's actually like for him. He's such a sweet little fish.

Thank you for sticking around and helping me until I got it though. :)

What's the nitrite looking like? That would intefere with oxygen uptake.

Otherwise, if it seems like parasites the others can advise on measures.

Take a look at the quarantine thread pinned at the top of the section. Most fish do carry some sort of parasite but when they are stressed or weakened (like during cycling) they will become susceptable.

hope your fish get better m8! :) and good luck on your exams... mine are about 347 days away.

a quick tip on quick cycling...bean roots! they have theese nodes on them that contain nitrobacter and nitromonas, the same little buggers that cycle the tank. get the nodes from the roots, crush them and then rub the stuff that comes out into the filter sponge. ive tried that a few times now and its worked, cycling almost any tank in under 1 day.

hope that helps :D

i think the type i use are called green beans(not shure of their english name)... my ganddad sometimes plants them.

i think that most bean plants have theese nodes on their roots thou... maybe even peas(?)

thanks for telling me by the way, ill be shure to post it..

Edited by nabki

Hmmmm, Wow! I did a little research and it seems as though you might have something there. Indeed plants, including some beans, possess nodules in their root systems that are formed by nitrifying bacteria. This looks pretty good thus far....

I hope you can get a comprehensive report together for the tip of the month. Try to include type of bean, amount of roots by weight, length of time til ammonia and nitrIte reach 0ppm, starting ammonia level or stocking/feeding density, etc, etc. This way, it can actually be verifiable when someone tries it.

Thanks!

Paul