Chilodiniasis?

Aww Toothy, sorry about the fish. When it happens that fast, is it due to a very virulent bacteria? What a shame.

Thanks for feed back. With the salt, would you do 0.1% or higher? Also, just for future ref. what was the anti-bac bath you mentioned before?

Glad the turtle is home.

Pixie :)

It certainly was something to see a seemingly healthy goldfish go so quickly. I performed a postmortem and the only thing I could find was a mess for ovaries. He, turned out to be a She. I think egg impaction was the cause.....

The turtle, a razorback musk, made her way from the kiddie pool in the back yard all the way to the front of the house, looked and saw a huge, open, hot, dry "outer space" and made a bee-line, apparently, into the garage where it was nice and cool. It took me 12 hours of searching, night and day, through my huge yard full of leaves the exact size and color of her shell. I actually didn't sleep at all the first night. I'm happy I found her though. I've had her for about ten years now. :heart

I would raise it to 0.3%, anything less isn't really much help at all.

The anti-bac bath is a product that Goldfish connection sells that is basically an antibiotic/disinfectant powder that goes into solution for a bath treatment. It's very similar to the triple sulfa dips made for reptiles. Sorry, I forgot to elaborate on that... :)

Keep up the good work and you might have things licked before you know it...... ;)

Well, that must have been a high-stress weekend for sure.

How do you know how to perform a PM? (Very impressed :thud ) Do you work in a lab or is it just through your own interest?

The turtle reminds me of my old, childhood tortoise. He would often escape and disappear, sometimes for a couple of weeks. Usually the man from down the lane, who had a huge vegatable garden, would bring him back - furious to discover he'd eaten half his lettuces!

Thanks for the suggestions, Toothy - you've been really helpful. I'll report the results in due course.

Pixie :D

I am a 3rd generation shrimper so much of my youth was spent on and around shrimpboats and out to sea. Being the son of a fisherman allowed me to dissect MANY fish through the years. Once I started keeping aquatic animals and began seeing diseases, it was only natural for me to investigate disease and unexplained deaths by performing autopsies and microscopic exams of tissues. I just don't have the money or resources to have culture/sensitivities of infected tissues done. I am by no means formally schooled, nor an expert but I HAVE learned a bit over the years..... ;)

Well, that is very impressive - and as for formal schooling, it certainly cannot make up for the benefit of experience.

Sorry to bore you with one last question but.....

today again, I noticed 2 looooong strands of thin, white poop - about 6/7 inches long, not like cotton thread but fine like a strand of spiders web or something. I've fed frozen, live food only for over a week now just incase there was any constipation. Like I said before, Mango is a poop machine but I never see the other two go. Then periodically I'll find these long strands. Is this bacterial? It just doesn't seem normal.

Well no, I can't say I've noticed anything unusual in there behaviour. The only way in which the telescopes are different to the ranchu is that they spend a lot of time trawling the surface as if they're looking for food.

I usually find these long strands when I come down in the morning and turn on their lights - there they are billowing from the filter pipes or the gravel. My impression is that they're not pooping regularly (at least I never see them) and then after days or even a week I'll find these long strands floating in the tank. Yesterday I found an even longer one which actually looked like a length of white cotton - it was about 10 inches long!

It is definitely not my ranchu so it has to be one or both of the telescopes. My small telescope does not appear to be growing whereas the other two are. Especially Mango the ranchu who is a pig.

Is this a bacterial infection do you think? I did loose my other rachu Calypso to dropsy back in Jan.

I was going to try salting Mango in a bucket this weekend as you suggested (work has prevented me until now)

But........... I've just realised I have a bottle of Myxacin (Waterlife) which Sandy has described as a broad range bactericide and fungicide, in the international meds section.

Might this kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Not sure if the long white strands might be bacterial, but just thought I'd run it by you.

Will wait for your opinion.

:rolleyes:

Out of interest, what are the signs of internal parasites?

Amm 0.0

Nit 0.0

N'ate 40 (about to do a w/change)

PH 7.8

Tank temp 75

Another long white thread this morning! Man, what is this?

Sometimes it's like a thread of white cotton and other times it's like thread of spiders web.

I'm guessing the two types belong to each telescope, respectively.

This has been going on for quite some time now and I'm worried that it might be an internal parasite or a bacterial infection. It can't be constipation as I have been feeding a diet of peas and frozen live food only for the past 2 and a half weeks.

Can anyone determine the cause? There don't seem to be any other symptoms and they are acting normally.

Should I be medicating?

I have Myxacin and on tues am being mailed Melafix and Pimafix (just to have on hand)

Any ideas?

Update: well, since adding some vile yellow aqaurium salt to 0.1% yesterday (see my UK thread), Mango's white spots have dramatically lessened and are almost gone.

Now for the poop......

Toothy, where have you gotten to? :peeka

Another long white strand 7" long flowing in the current. This is almost a daily sight now when I turn on the tank lights every morning.

It can't be constipation as they've been on a diet of peas and frozen live food for the past two and a half weeks now.

So what on earth is it? Could it be eggs reabsorbing? Internal worms? Internal bacteria? I just don't know what to make of it.

There are no bubbles in the poop. It is just very thin and white and long.

Help :krazy: