Stability

I have placed a number of new topics and discussed a particular product that has recieved some responses; as well as the unknown availability in the UK.

Here is the scoop.

The product is called "Stability" - it is a new generation product mad by Seachem, it is made in Madison, Georgia and their website is www. Seachem.com -

It is a new progressive blend of anaerobic, aerobic, and facultative bacteric - non are sulfur fixing. this product allows the immiduate use of a new tank and quickly (as my case) establishes a wet dry filter system and allows upkeep of same. It is safe and and shoiws no sign of danger if slightly overused.

Those of you in the UK- let us know if it is available there.

Punch and Eric

IF Stability does, indeed, contain LIVE beneficial bacteria, then yes, it will indeed help jump start a cycle in a tank. In that case, it does much the same as BioSpira.

For a while, it was believed that BioSpira did not need refrigeration. It has been found that the bacteria that are needed do not survive on a shelf or through shipment unless refrigerated. So much depends on how well the product was cared for before, during and after shipment to the store! It is a delicate product.

There are truckloads of products out on the market that claim to help the cycle, set up for the cycle, or even to contain the beneficial bacteria to start the cycle. In general, I would take these claims with a grain of salt.

I have never had ANY product work, with the exception of BioSpira. I have never heard of anyone truly having one work, with the exception of BioSpira. It is possible that this one may, but I am strongly suspicious of it, being as it is sold off the shelf in a Wal***Mt - sans refrigeration.

There are pitfalls with BioSpira, too. The bacteria that are contained in the product do not fasten to the media instantly. It takes days to weeks for them to successfully colonate the bio-platform supplied in your tank. Until they do, if you change out the water, you are dumping the bacteria down the drain with the waste water. If you do NOT change out the water, you will get ammonia and then nitrite spikes, in a normally stocked tank.

BioSpira is incapable of providing "instant" cycle. If you add enough, it may be able to process the waste in a lightly stocked tropical tank - perhaps even holding ammonia/nitrite at bay long enough to establish a cycle before the fish are too seriously impacted. Goldfish, on the other hand are SO messy, that it is a tossup as to whether the fish will survive long enough for the product to colonate the tank.

Using BioSpira and perhaps Stability could speed up a fishless cycle, however - which is how I have used it, quite successfully, in the past.

The description you have given, Eric, is, word for word, the advertisement from the WallyWorld's web site. Please give them credit.

I tried BioSpira about a year ago with several tropical fish. It still took about 3 weeks for the tank to cycle, so I'm not sure if it really helped at all.

BioSpira may work, but my experience with it has been that it is *extremely* finicky as far as temperature and shelf-life. If it has been through temp changes on the way to the store, it may be dead. It may be old and thus, dead. Mine arrived about the consistency of a 7-11 slushie due to bad shipping. I tried to tell them that it is winter where I am and don't need an ice pack, but it arrived with one anyway... I've heard people have it arrived cooked through with a heat pack.

I can't imagine anything in a bottle on a shelf can really work. I think any success is due to coincidence rather than the product. In the end, there is nothing instant about cycling. Patience and water changes are key.