Sign in to follow this  
daryl

More Eggs!

My two best Phoenix are at it again.... I dropped in the spawning mat and shall see what I collect.....

I certainly wish it were the blues - but it is the reds....

:)

post-27-1181665897_thumb.jpg

once again, Congrats! weather they're red or blue, they are both very beautiful to me! I could only dream of having such a beautiful fish. what does this raise the fry count to now? :D

Woah! I think only a while back u were complaining that ur fish never got to spawn but now suddenly boom boom boom all I hear is u got more & more eggs! Congrats daryl! Will be looking forward to the updates ;)

:druel Ohh congrats! Those are such beautiful fish! Looking forward to hearing what happened.

I read all the books. I talked to all the breeders. Then I prepped the fish for a year...... I thought they would NEVER get there.

But prep really does work and the fish really do spawn! YIPPPEEEE!!!!

I do not count anymore. There are too many. :rolleyes:

:D

Well, I let the mats go for today. And when I got to them today, they were totally coated with eggs.

I was thinking of dumping them all. The thought of having to set up the brine shrimp factory, again, and go through all that again...... whew. I am going to be traveling quite a bit in the next few weeks - to see my pregnant daughter, etc....... I really do not need fry.

But these were the two BEST red phoenix. The last spawning involved a lessor female with my best male.... and I only have 1 to 2 nicer fry (plus a few dozen less-than fry) from that spawning that I am growing out ..... so I decided I could not pass on these.

So, I have yet ANOTHER tank brewing - with heat, acriflavine and a sponge filter bubbling away. I set it on 2X4 pieces and a board on the dining room floor. Ack. I was just thinking that I might be able to reduce my tank numbers soon.

Here we go again!

:blink::krazy:

yaaaaa more fry!!!

your Phoenix's look awsome

are u going to sell them???

:) Those Reds are very pretty Carol,so I can see why you couldn't pass up the chance. :exactly

You do need to start another pic thread though with pic updates of all the big babies.Between work ,summer,and all the posts,I've lost track of them all.How are those other blue babies doing? :yeah::rofl

I had a "blue expert" over the other day to consult on color. According to him, my blues are developing much along the line they were expected to.

Among the blue-line lionhead/ranchu fry that appeared to be "green", one has turned red. The others are still green. The ones that had that distinct gray/blue color have either remained as such - a few turning darker. It is thought that the darker ones may be black or a very dark blue in adulthood. There are a few (about 10) which have changed to white.- or white with a blue/black cap. Amongst these, there are a few with very nice body conformation. I am told that they may become my best blues in 2 years or so.

My first two spawnings of Phoenix (blue and red) were mixed from lack of space. Among that crew, I have only a smattering of fish that have truly nice backs. All have beautiful tails, though! All still appear to be "green" or "gray-green". So sign of color yet. From what I am told, that is a good thing. I have kept three that have dorsal fins for they are the strongest most amazing fish I have seen. They appear to be dorsaled Phoenix with magnificent tails and a good potential for blue. I do not have the heart to cull them yet - I have never seen such powerful fish as these. I am "studying their color" - an excuse to not cull them yet. ;)

I do not know if this last set of eggs will be viable - there is a lot of fungusy eggs - far more than I like to see. They were due yesterday or today for hatch. I shall have to crawl down to the tank and have a look today in a bit and see if there is anything. It is rather late, and the eggs that were released were most likely "old". I definately will not get 1000s from this one! (that is OK - I do not haveroom!)

In yet another cross of Ryukin broadtail/blues, I have nearly all necreous/calicos. Many appear to hold good promise as broadtails with decent color distribution.

My "VIP" fry, I have in large green water. The younger set is still being transported between the "cull" tank and the "keep, but sell" tank and the "WOW" tank.....

:yeah:

I am terrible at pictures... I will try harder. I am hoping to have a nice set of Phoenix, Ranchu/Lionhead and Ryukin to take to show this fall.

:blink: Good lord Carol,you have been ever so busy. :rofl It certainly sounds pretty exciting for sure,especially watching the fry take shape and lose/gain colors. I've seen your pics,and they are not terrible at all,so get to snapping! :exactly I want to see the blue-line lionhead/ranchu fry. :yeah: Oh heck,I really want to see them all. :D

Guest FishHobbyist1564

wow daryl they never stop coming for you haha :D