Sign in to follow this  
auratus

Swollen Belly In Oranda

Hello all,

I have 4 fish in a 29 gallon tank, one large oranda and 3 medium lionheads. The oranda lately developed some splits in its tail. No fraying or milkiness around the edges, and I thought it could be just mechanical damage. However it wasn't healing so I decided to feed it and its tankmates some medi-gold in case it has some bacterial infection.

Things were OK until this past weekend when I had to leave town for a day. I thought skipping one day of medi-gold should be OK. However when I got back the oranda had a huge belly like I've never seen before. It also sits on the bottom like it is very "heavy". It is still eating but I am quite concerned. The situation has not improved for the past 24 hours.

I looked at your posts and thought of the following scenarios:

(1) Some kind of internal parasitic infection

(2) Bacterial infection - although I have been feeding medi-gold for the past 10 days

(3) Egg impaction - can it develop in 24- 48 hours?

(4) Constipation - although no food was fed during the 24 hours when the situation developed

(5) Swallowed some gravel?

I really don't have a good idea what to do next. I can discontinue the medi-gold treatment and feed some peas for constipation, but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do. Perhaps some anti-parasitic treatment is in order? I'd appreciate any advice.

- Auratus

BTW, the tanks runs on a Fluval 204. It has been running for more than 2 years now. Ammonia and nitrite are zero. Nitrate around 40 ppm. pH is 7.4. Water change of 30% is performed weekly.

New water is conditioned with Prime and allowed to get to tank temperature before adding. Salt is maintained at 0.1%.

In case you are wondering, the oranda has no raised scales.

Thank you for any advice.

- Auratus

I will help as best I can.

To answer a few of your questions....

Yes impaction can develop very quickly.

While Medigold is a wonderful food, sometimes bacterial infections are too strong for it and need injectable meds. Such as septicimia.

I highly doubt that swallowing gravel is a factor. I use to be so afraid of this long ago but so many experts say it doesn't happen, that they spit it out or it gets stuck but it doesn't pass into the digestive tract.

Some thoughts I have are the high nitrates. At 40 some fish react negatively, so I would lower it to around 20 and keep it there for a few weeks. See if that doesn't improve the fish somewhat.

I would also do a good fast when completed with the med. food. Maybe 2-3 days. Folllowed by feeding peas a few days. Give the fish a good cleaning out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks LaurieP.

I changed 30% water yesterday and repeated again today. That should bring down the nitrates.

Overall my fish is swollen just about the same today, but I noticed its eyes are a little bulging or "puffy" around the eyeballs.

Is that a sign of fluid build-up and dropsy to come?

I hope that's not the case.

BTW, my fish behaved exactly like that of Fondoo, whose posts are in the same emergency forum.

You can view his YouTube video (first video where fish is swimming on tank bottom) to understand how my fish is doing.

Thanks again for your help

Auratus

LaurieP,

Would epsom salt help in this case? I read somewhere that epsom salt can help with either dropsy and eggbound fish.

I think at the least I can draw some fluid out from its body and help with the eyes.

Is 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons the right dosage? Can I use it in the main tank just like regular aquarium salt?

Thanks.

Auratus

That's the right dosage and I would include the epsom asap - as long as you don't have salt in the tank :)

ur tank is too small for 4 goldfish, u need 10 gallons per fish. I sure hope that ur little guy does not get dropsy. U should defianently try the salt to see if it helps at all. And u should probably try the peas too.

An update on my ailing oranda-

Last night I noticed one of his eyes was a little bulging. I could see some white around the eyeball.

Based on that and the fact that his body was swollen (not pine-coned), I started feeding MetroMeds in case of dropsy. I also changed 30% water and added epsom salt to the tank at 1/8 teaspoons per 5 gallon concentration.

This evening after work I noticed his belly is less swollen- in fact his body is two-thirds back to normal.

However both of his eyes are now bulging, not very bad but definitely not normal.

I plan on keeping up the epsom salt treatment together with feeding MetroMeds. Hopefully that can heal my beloved oranda. I know the percentages are not in my favor but I'll keep trying. He was my first fish when I started my tank more than 2 years ago, and has grown from 2 inches to more than 6 now. Both my wife and I consider him part of our family.

Other treatment considerations-

tank temperature? (currently at 74F)

additional medication??

Any suggestions are welcome. Many thanks.

I sure hope ur little(or should I say big) guy makes it. Im not sure about this but maybe u should raise the temperature a bit.

I sure hope ur little(or should I say big) guy makes it. Im not sure about this but maybe u should raise the temperature a bit.

Maybe it's time you stopped giving advice! I have just replied to you in diagnosis for the same reason.

You are Not experienced and potentially becoming a liability. People come here because they have serious health problems to solve. Your uninformed 'advice' could actually harm someones fish.

If you want to make friends and chat - go to the other sections or the chat rooms.

Auratus, your temp should be ok. And the treatment sounds good as well.

I would continue on, a full 14 days of Metromeds and if all clear by then I would stop. If it hasn't cleared up totally then I would do another week.

Keep us posted.

Another update.

I have been observing my oranda for a while and I am quite sure he is not defecating.

Perhaps constipation is causing him to bloat, or some other underlying problem is causing the bloating and also blocks the bowel movements.

I have tried feeding green peas and spirulina flakes to no avail. This morning, a pea with epsom salt crystal didn't work either.

After reading up on many of your posts, I tried an Epsom bath (thanks to JenW) to the tune of 1 tsp per gallon for 15 minutes. With that I still didn't seen any poop coming out.

My oranda is still eating, which is a good sign, but I am afraid to feed too much since much in and nothing out probably means more bloating. I plan on keeping with a pea in the morning, and metromed (2 - 3 pellets) in the evening to fight any infections. I will also continue with the Epsom salt baths. The tank is also salted with Epsom at 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons. Hopefully I will see a miracle here - fingers and toes crossed.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.

I'm sad to say my fish didn't make it through last night.

He stopped eating last evening, and was breathing more heavily. I knew that was not a good sign.

My family was able to say our final goodbyes. We were all very sad. We'll miss our big fish.

What a shame. I'm really sorry. It's surprising how upsetting it is to loose a fish and how much you miss them.

:sorry::

I am sorry to hear he didn't make it.