New Beautiful Pink Betta

sweetshannon

I finally gave in and bought a betta, after thinking about it for months. He is extremely active and flaring in his 5.5 gallon tank. I think he is happy to be in a bigger tank. He was in a ten gallon at the store in one of those those tiny little sections attatched to the glass. He barely had enough room to turn around in there.

I have a sponge filter in there hooked up to a tiny air pump. Should he be OK with the bubbles in one corner of the tank form the sponge? He seems to not even notice, he is so busy swimming all over. He has a heater set to 79 degrees and I also put a few rocks in from my goldie tank to get the bacteria started on the sponge. He has lots of plants to explore and hide in. He is eating his Hikari Betta food, and he will get a few bloodworms tomorrow. Any other tips from experienced betta keepers to keep him happy?

And on a side note.....the plants I bought him came with a hitch hiking guppy fry. It is smaller than a grain of rice. Should I worry about it starving? If it can live in there, and will be OK...than I am fine with it. Any tips or ideas on that little teeny tiny thing? :idea:

Edited by sweetshannon

If you have any goldfish flakes handy, just grind them up real fine and the baby should be good :) That's what I fed my guys when they were teeny. I just put a pinch in my palm, and rubbed my finger into it. Pulverized it in no time.

That sounds like a great set up for him. Sounds like he is happy too. We can't wait to see pics. You might want to move the guppy baby depending on how big he is . Since you have a male betta he may become territorial and kill it or eat it. Some males do well with the babies but I would not take chances. If you plan on keeping the fry I would move him to his own fry tank.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sandie66

Is he really pink? I've been looking, but haven't found one. Closest I've come to one is my little guy Pinky, who is kinda pink/peachy with blue fins.

yup each betta is different. Kinda got to play it by ear. Some like only flakes, some only pellets some only frozen stuff. My male only likes pellets and the my new red female will only eat frozen brine shrimp. Go figure she thinks she is special or something :rofl

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would remove the guppy fry if I wanted to keep them, but then, both of my males are extremely aggressive and make short work of fish fry if the have them appear in their tank. Congrats on the :newfish though!

Edited by Torbe

Our Noel is sort of a white/pink pearly color. I thought it was funny, since he's male, and pink and all....*giggles* Well...At least at the time it was funny...