Everybody Help Now

Guest haz raver

Guest haz raver

i found a koi near my bike on my drive dont know how it got thier ive put it in a big bucket full with water and ive made my brother dig a big hole which im gonna make a pond with i have some pond stuf in my basement the hole is going to be as big as a people carrier for now what else shud i do

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i found a koi near my bike on my drive dont know how it got thier ive put it in a big bucket full with water and ive made my brother dig a big hole which im gonna make a pond with i have some pond stuf in my basement the hole is going to be as big as a people carrier for now what else shud i do

Kois generally need ~200 gallons of water to themselves, they're HUGE fish. (How the heck do you just find one on the ground?)

Ponds are also not just holes in a ground with water, they're bodies of water that have a source of running water. That's why most professional pounds contain a filter that sucks in water and "waterfalls" in back in to simulate the movement of fresh water. It helps keep the water from stagnating.

I'm not sure how quickly you can setup an adequate pond, but I think your best option is to contact a local koi club and to let them know what's happened. I'm sure someone will be able to take it in and give it a good home.

Guest haz raver

ok ive put the baby koi in a 15liter tank with ages water hes got missing scales and a cut come on guys help the holes comeing along quick

ok, im a bit confused. you found a koi on your driveway by your bike? Also, koi need alot of space. they get around 3 feet, and need a bare minimum of 250 gallons each. but, in my opinion, 250 gallons will not be enough for one koi. even though there will be enough water volume, koi like to have lots of swimming space. they like to dart around. its like having one fancy goldfish ina 10 gallon tank. yeah, the tank is big enouh fot the one fish, but full grown, the fish does not have very much swimming space.

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

Guest haz raver

i think a bird might of dropped it theres a river near me its 3inches big what im doing is makeing a hole then putting this matieral which is black and rubbery over it and putting stones on the edges so it doent slip then im putting the koi in and ill make a massive hole next to it and extend it i wanna try keep this oh god im not happy its me and my twin for 5 days by are selfs any help or stuf thanks nenn

thanks fuzzy hes not doing so good hes lagging

Are you going to have any filtration? A pond with out filtration is a big NO. Just like in a fish tank, the water can get very stale rather fast without filtration.

Yeah, you should give it some filtration and a bigger home.

:( Koi are pretty demanding fish when it comes to space.

It might be a good idea (Like nenn said) to give it to someone with a well-established fish pond.

However, It would still be interesting to see pics if you have time! :) (of both the pond in progress and the fish.)

P.S.- What are you going to do about it's injuries? I don't know much about helping sick/injured Koi.

Edited by MyGoldfishIsLumpy

ok im thinking maybe you found some other type of fish, koi dont live in rivers unless you let them go which is against the law to start. im really comfused here but im not saying i dont believe you maybe you did find a koi :blink: anyways, seting up a pond that will work the proper way will take time and money to build. unless you go to a store and get the pre made ponds with filter. do u have a petstore near you? maybe you can take it there and let them tell you what kind of fish this is? what does this fish look like anyway? please let us know soon :) also if this is a koi you are going to need alot of pond rubber for him. i believe koi should have atleast 500 gallons per koi. thats alot of digging and material if this is a koi indeed you should take him to your lfs soon as you can so they can find a home for him.

Edited by jewels

Guest haz raver

its a comet btw way spent ages on the pong i started to help to its made now with stones fountian and a filter the comet like the small pond i would post pics but my camara is broke

its a comet btw way spent ages on the pong i started to help to its made now with stones fountian and a filter the comet like the small pond i would post pics but my camara is broke

Oh, well, then it's not really a koi -- which is good. However, it's better to have the fish indoors so that you can better monitor him and so more birds don't try to eat him.

Edited by Nenn

Guest haz raver

ok ive sent up like a tent thingy over it and you can only get in by a zip theres air holes dont worry what else guys

Hmmm... maybe I'm not reading this right but you're saying that between 9.51 pm last night (UK time) and 7.02 am this morning, you've dug some kind of pond and put a tent over the top? :blink: You've had a busy night!

I think all you really needed to do with this fish is house it in a tempory large plastic tub or something with lot's of clean dechlorinated water at least until you get to a fish store to have it rehoused. Why would a comet (the fish, not the meteor!) fall from the sky into your drive? The chances are that it was taken from a local/neighbours pond or something by a bird - why don't you ask around? They might want him back. Failing that, your LFS may take him.

If you really want to keep him, take your time to make the most suitable environmnet for him possible. He'll need recovery time in any case. :)

Guest haz raver

ye busy night ive asked around and the most evil mean grumpy people have lost it and they hate me and they dont want it back the comet seems quite happy now ive fed him hes so cute what else

Who doesn't want it back haz? Did someone throw the fish over? :blink: We're all a tad confused here.

Any chance of a photo of this set up and your new fish?

Guest haz raver

ive not got a camara at the mo these very evil people across the street they dont want it back its theres they think its mine and i dont wnat it :/ there mean to me to ive invited some freinds to help me extend the pond

ive not got a camara at the mo these very evil people across the street they dont want it back its theres they think its mine and i dont wnat it :/ there mean to me to ive invited some freinds to help me extend the pond

:blink::blink: im in this state now... how do you know its theres? please tell me you have a filter for this pond"? if its just a hole in the ground with water umm thats not going to work very well. please tell us about this pond you made more details please :)

Guest haz raver

they have a pond with fish i have a turbo series7 pond filter ive dug a big hole with liner matieral over it so the water doesnt leek with stones and stuf ok?

What kind of filter is a turbo series 7? I've never heard of it. This may be because I have no experience with ponds.

How large is the pond? A guess would be fine.

What fish are in it? (You just said it has fish.)

ye busy night ive asked around and the most evil mean grumpy people have lost it and they hate me and they dont want it back the comet seems quite happy now ive fed him hes so cute what else

So you've determined it's a comet?

:) I hope this all ends up well.

Pictures would be interesting to see. If you get a chance please post some.

Guest haz raver

there pond is about 1000gal massive comets koi and commons r in there pond thats the name of the filter its quiet old but still works very good i went and bought a waterfall thing now the water will not be stale

Wow! You are one quick learner! Not to mention the expense of what it takes to build a pond, fountain AND a waterfall! I have kept fish for years & IF I got the idea to do this it would take some time to process the idea & make it a reality! :unsure: