Help! Please Bit Of Topic

Guest haz raver

Guest haz raver
:please i know this is very off topic but a lot of people come here i have fish in spawing time and i added 2 ice cubes at 8pm in the morning will they lay eggs p.s its june and sunny :help :BTT:BTT:BTT:goldfish:

Why do you think that your fish are going to spawn? Are they chasing each other? What kind of goldfish are they? Do any of them look fatter than normal? (Full of eggs.)

If it is just the time of year that makes you suspect that they are going to spawn, they may not. They do not always spawn this time of year.

:) Please give us a little more info and hopefully, we can answer your questions.

Guest haz raver

the males have white spots

shes a bit fatter. bit of chaseing. 2 comet the girl is a comet .2 fantails. my comets are wonderfull hehe. they have bin like this for 1 week

Edited by haz raver

Yeah, it sounds like spawning time. Make sure they have plants for the eggs to stick to. You should also separate the eggs from the parents when they are done spawning. (Another tank, but a bucket/rubbermaid bin may also work for a time.)

Good luck. I doubt I answered all of your questions, so don't hesitate to ask.

From your other posts, I'd say you are very overstocked and I'd be more concerned about getting your current fish an appropriate living space before thinking about wanting more fish. Each single tailed fish, like yours, needs at least 20 gallons of water EACH. Where would you raise the fry? They will die off quickly in a small container - they grow fast and will need more and more space in order to thrive. Each fry that survives will eventually need another 20 gallons of water each.

Sorry to be harsh, but you need to set aside the want of babies and think about the health of the fish you already have.

Guest haz raver

i know i am trying to get rid of the fantails any ideas kind ones and my fish aint pergent i found out shes quite slim how can i help her fatten up coz the males are in spawing time and how can i help with spawing

well hows this ill try to get rid of the fantails sell some stuff on ebay then ill buy a 60liter

You need 20 gallons per comet. If my conversion is correct, 60 liters is only 15 gallons.

I'm not sure if you're even in breeding mode, it might just be aggression from the small space.

how come the males have white spots on thier gills and the first part of there fin

Breeding stars are a result of hormones as a response to season and aquarium setup. I think you should focus less on the fact that they're horny and more on the fact that your current setup may threaten the health of your fish.

In addition, if their aggression gets out of hand, your female may suffer physical injury. Males are not kind when they're actively chasing a target.

Edited by Nenn

yeh there fine or look it same as always

they may look fine now, but probally with in a few weeks they wont be. They will start to die, one after another. they can only take so much abuse.

Haz- sorry but fish will not ever release eggs in a crowded space or when under stress from overcrowding : fact.

As said, you should concentrate on finding a larger tank first :)

• Admin

I will say one thing here.

IF the tank is to small for the fish and you do some how get them to breed in there, were are you going to place the eggs (fry), because if you have read the breeding page you will need another tank just for the babies, and i will tell you from experience that taking care of fry isn't the easiest thing to do.

If your tank is small and they do spawn in there, the waste load in that tank will be so much that you could and might have a water crash. Breeding goldfish can be a big mess. When my Pharoh did it in a 45 gal tank, i had to clean all the filters and do 2 water changes to clean the tank out.....

So yeah its fun, but its a lot of work and can be stressful on the fish if you dont know what your doing. Please read the breeding page on this site....

I totally concur with Koko. One of my goldfish had released eggs one day and my water parameters were ALL OVER the place -- it was insane. I had to clean out everything, including the filters, to get those eggs out. Eggs are pure nutrition and would otherwise be eaten by adults if they do not get fertilized and stick to a safe area (like thick planting).

If you have a power filter, eggs will immediately get sucked into the filter and get caught in the filter media, making it 222 to clean. When you have something that so easily becomes a breeding ground for pathogens, you want to get it out of your tank as quickly as possible.

Edited by Nenn

I am really not sure if you are yet "too bored" again to read all the advice that has been given to you, Haz, but a 15 litre tank is nowhere near enough for fry. Goldfish can lay 100s of eggs, and the fry polute the water faster than you can say "help".

We are just trying to save you from a lot of frustration and sadness when your fry die off, or your adults have problems from overcrowding. Fish will not easily spawn in overcrowded conditions, and you setting yourself up for a lot of heartache. I'd suggest that you take care of your current adults first before you even think about letting them spawn. It is a ton of work, a lot of extra space is needed for the fry, plus all the expenses for fry food, brineshrimp hatchery supplies, airation, filtration, water changes and so for. My husband raises around 1000 koi fry at the moment in 3 160 gl rubbermaids, and it is a ton of work.