Sign in to follow this  
fondoo

Swollen Stomach, Not Dropsy

i have this large oranda with a swollen stomach. i've lost two oranda with the same symptoms. i feed the oranda hikari frozen blood worms just few days before it was swoll up. it now sits on the bottom of the tank. did i have a bad batch of frozen blood worms? is there any anti-botic med's i should be using? your advice is much appreciated.

could u try to answer the questions at the top of the page? Did u see his poo lately, did it have bubbles in it?

contaminated bloodworm can introduce harmful pathogens into an aquarium. however, most frozen bloodworm bought nowadays from the bigger reputable companies has been gamma-irradiated and is almost sterile. there is a uk based aquarium supplier that has given hikari bloodworm a very bad review. who knows ? any hikari product i have bought have always been top quality. is there any chance that they have been thawed and re frozen ?

i stopped feeding them the fozen blood worms now and going straight back to goldfishconnctions pellets.

what should i treat the fish with? any med's recommedations? metro-med med-gold?

Im not sure, but you could try peas to maybe get it out of their system(I doubt that works but it couldnt hurt to at least try :) )

Have you seen your fishes poop at all as it will give a good indication to what is going on especially if it is bacterial. You may wish to read this link it will give you a good indicator as to if its bacterial or just constipation.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/GoldfishPoop.html

If it is white and stringy and your fish is eating I would use medi-gold first and see how he goes. :)

One other thing comes to mind if your Oranda is a female there may be a possibility she is eggbound. Especially if everything else is fine.

Fondoo,

I just started a post in this section, and my fish has exactly the same symptoms as yours. Your YouTube clip looks eerily familar to me - like I was looking at my fish.

Hope they both will recover fully.

I will let you know if anything works for me.

BTW, my fish was going through a medi-gold regimen when the belly swelled up.

Good luck.

- Auratus

i've been feeding it medi-gold, but i hate it when it clouds the water up. are you having the same issue>?

i decided to fast the fish for 7 days and salt the water.

i have not gotten much answers.

Fondoo,

I don't have the problem of cloudy water with medi-gold. Perhaps it's the amount you're feeding?

I tend to feed less (food-volume-wise) with medi-gold since my goldies would chew on them for so long.

If you have tried my things without much success - try large water changes with the water temperature a few degrees lower. People say if your fish is eggbound (I am still reading up on this), a drop in temperature by a few degrees can induce egg laying.

Good luck.

Auratus

i am sadly to announce my oranda has passed away today when i came back from work. i salted the tank last night and he didnt make it.

oh, Im sorry about ur fishie :cry1