Sign in to follow this  
Erika

I Broke Down And Got A "real" Filter.

My handmade filter just wasn't cutting it this year.... I've had really, really GREEEEN water and problems with water quality. I've been trying thing after thing and it all just goes back to22 in a handbasket. SOOO..... I found a slightly used Hozelock Cyprio Ecostar filter with a UV clarifier. Haven't hooked it all up yet, I need Jon's help with the hose buying and all that stuff, but we'll do it this weekend. I can't wait to see my fish again! :rolleyes:

Darn, Erika - tossing away a perfectly good filter! :D Seriously though, did you try adding some more filter media to it? That always helps with my filters.

You'll love the UV! It'll clear up your pond in no time. Is it in full sun?

Well, I tried doubling up on the filter floss stuff, but it just didn't do it... I've been battling very, very green murky water since the pond opening. The filter worked wonderfully last year, but I think I needed something a bit more mechanical (and UV-woo) to get it under control.

Do you run UV on yours? I'm a bit excited about it. :rolleyes:

I just got my water cleared up. I don't know why it was so hard this year. I couldn't see the fish until Thursday (and the pond has been opened since the last week in April. I hope you can get your's cleared up fast.

So this means you'll be posting pictures soon then right? RIGHT??? Hello? :rofl I bet your fish will be glad to see you as well. :D

Yes, I need to get my water hyacinth thinned down a bit and my water clear, then I'll snap some pics. :D

Do you run UV on yours? I'm a bit excited about it. :rolleyes:

No, I don't these days. I used to have two running years ago, but I like the green water much better. These days, since my final setup isn't done yet, the ponds are halfway under a roof, and only get sun in the morning. The water isn't really crystal clear, its more of an amber color, but I can see the fish clearly. Its strange around here - sometimes the water is green, then WHAM, overnight I suddenly can see the fish... :unsure:

Sounds good Andrea, at least you were still getting peeks at them! I wasn't at ALL and I got worried about them all. I wanted to see with my own eyes that everyone was thriving. Now the water is CRYSTAL clear and I can affirm it! Haha. I've had to clean the filter sponges out already, they were full of barley straw pieces (don't ever put barley in a pond unless it's in a sac or something, I learned the hard way, EEK!)

Our pond is always clear. and it gets full sun :blink:

Barley straw? What's that do?

Barley straw is a natural way of combatting algae issues. However, it needs to replaced regularly, and like Erika said, falls apart and can get stuck in the filter. It isn't as good as a UV, but it'll do a halfway decent job, if the algae isn't too overwhelming. :)

Our pond is always clear. and it gets full sun :blink:

Barley straw? What's that do?

Barley straw or barley straw extract will inhibit growth of algae in your pond. Although it will not do anything if you already have algae problem. So it is kinda pre emptive measure to control algae problem. For existing problem you would need UV.

Do you have any plants in your pond? I never had algae problem until In put some anachris in there. :-) But with barley extract and a small UV my water is crystal clear.

I have TOO MANY plants, haha. I have a lily, an umbrella palm, and hordes upon hordes of hyacinth. The stuff didn't do this well last year, so I bought about 12 plants in May. I then had 30 some, transferred some into the fry tub and sold some, and I STILL have too many!! The UV cleared everything up very nicely. I finally got a glimpse of my baby (well, not anymore) bluegill, Percy. :blink::D

I'm glad the filter and UV worked out well for you. Sparkling water is so theraputic to look at. :) (is that the right way to spell "theraputic"?, it doesn't look right)

It IS therapeutic (spell check corrected my spelling Annette, LOL!). Now if only I didn't have so many darn plants! Ah well, there's always something!!!

:o So when are we going to see pics? :yeah: