Sign in to follow this  
Black Moorio

Pakistani Yo-yo Loach

so a couple months ago I had a huge multi-tank epidemic where my fish started to die very fast with little warning.

so i moved those who didn't show signs of the illness (very hard to tell) into a quarantine tank, where all but one fish survived. That fish was a pakistani yo-yo loach.

So its been about two months since the other fish died, and the loach seems perfectly healthy. So a few days ago i decided to add another fish into the tank. I went to mmm and bought a fantail, which is very pretty by the way. So the fish is fine, and they seemed to be getting along until literally ten minutes ago when i noticed the loach chasing the goldfish around, not very fast, but the goldfish seemed to be trying hard to get away. i've seen minimal nipping, but should I be concerned. Help please!

LOACH: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/photo...g/image_preview

oh, and the fish are both the same size, about 2.5 inches

Edited by Black Moorio

ok, I dont think those are compatible with goldfish, they should be seperated right away

ok, I dont think those are compatible with goldfish, they should be seperated right away

Why do you think that yo yo loach is not compatible? Have you got some personal experience with them or done some research about them?

From what I've read, loaches are generally peaceful fish that would go well in community tanks. They are territorial, so that chasing thing that's going on with ur goldfish might be just the loach defending his territory. I'd keep an eye on them and let us know if something happens ;)

are you sure according to this i dont think they are

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/comfish.html

maybe you should research that.

That link is useful, but it's just a very basic guide. Some other fish are compatible (in varying degrees) with goldfish like white clouds, cories, danios, and a few others if you got a pond like koi, various carps, etc.

When in doubt, have a look at some other sources first, and then comment. Other species-goldfish compatibility is a somewhat grey area, and sometimes it's not helpful to the enquirer to just say "not compatible, separate them now". Give your reasons and back them up through research.

I think it is just a territorial problem. The loach only starts chasing when the goldfish swims around what I know refer to as the loach's rock.

The loach is not swimming nearly as fast as I think it could, so I think it isn't trying to really hurt the goldfish, and they aren't really touching either. I think it'll be okay, but I'll keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the help!

how big is the tank maybe it has something to do with the tank not being large enough?

Edited by rock4life

well, I generally wouldn't trust Botia loaches with long-finned fish if I want to preserve their finnage. I had skunk loaches (Botia morleti) before and they were moderately territorial with each other. They also occasionally nipped the fins of the other fish in their tank but didn't inflict serious damage as they were busy engaging with each other. Maybe being a lone loach in the tank has your fish antsy with unexpressed longing for interaction?

Edited by Man Yu

sorry :( i just didnt think they were compatible, and its better to be safe than sorry, thats what i think anyway