Best Housing For 3 Bettas

Kissy

So I am leaving for college in a couple months, and I am only taking bettas with me. I have one male and one female currently, but I may be taking my friend's female while she goes to Japan for a year on foreign exchange. Her "Cordelia" is blue like my "Stormy", but she's huge!!!! I saw her for the first time on saturday. She had some clamped fins, but otherwise looks healthy and should live until Julyish when I take over.

So what would the best housing arrangement be for these guys? Right now, Leaf and Stormy have their own 3 gallon kritter keepers next to eachother and one little hob filter. Originally I wanted to get a 2.5 minibow for each because I really liked the way they looked, but if I have three bettas, it might be more space effective for a three way divided 10 gallon since I'm sharing a dorm. I know 2 bettas will be no problem to take care of, but I'm not entirely sure about the care of three because I'm not sure how busy I will be.

The 10 gallon would have glass dividers...I do not trust mesh ones! Once they are cemented in place with aquarium sealant, how stable will the walls be? Can I go filterless and do a 100% waterchange on one of the compartments without worried about weakening the dividers? Filters are nice, but since you can't do large waterchanges on a filtered container that small, I've always thought that the filterless ones looked cleaner since you can easilly drain and scrub without worry.

I dunno, help :)

I think the ten gallon tank with glass dividers would be great but you will have to be more frequent and diligent on water changes. I personally have the 2.5 gallon minibows and they do not take up that much room. If you are going to divided a 10 gallon into three sections you could put an inexpensive hob filter like the ones they have at wally world for 2-3 gallons tanks and then you would not have to change the water as often and since your fishies are used to filtration they might like that better

Well I do have one red sea nano hob so I'll probably try that out, but since I'm doing glass dividers, I'd need 2 more if all the bettas were going to get filtration, right?

I've got two bettas in a 7.7 gallon tank with a clear and opaque plexiglass divider with holes in the middle. I have two sponge filters (one in each side) and the setup works great! Can't see why you can't do two dividers with three sponge filters. I change 50 % of their water once a week and they're healthy as horses! :D

Did you buy the dividers pre-drilled, or did you drill the holes yourself?

She took the tank to a local glass shop and them made, we then proceeded to harass the local LFS people and then went on to drink gin and tonics with our lunch. :rofl :alc :nana

Come to think of it, we need to do that again.

Minus the glass shop. :rofl

Edited by Katalyst

I'd just seed a couple of sponge filters now, get a diffuser, and hook em all up to a pump. Otherwise, I'd just leave them unfiltered and put some plants in em. I keep most of my bettas in one gallon containers including a jar that cost 2 bucks from the w store and as long as I have plants in em, I find I can get by with waterchanges every 1-2 weeks.

She took the tank to a local glass shop and them made, we then proceeded to harass the local LFS people and then went on to drink gin and tonics with our lunch.

Well, that's sort of how the story went! :blink: We did go to the plexiglass place and had the dividers cut to size, but I drilled the holes myself. Methinks Kat had a few to many gin and tonics at lunch to remember that detail :linedrink :rofl:P

Come to think of it, we need to do that again.

Hey I keep inviting you to the old bags bar!!! When ya gonna finally come???? Or do I have to physically pick you up and force you to go? :bat:

Hey I keep inviting you to the old bags bar!!! When ya gonna finally come???? Or do I have to physically pick you up and force you to go? :bat:

Be nice to me or I'll tell a certian koi store owner you like him...Then you'll be sorry! :rofl

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sandie66

A 10 would probaby take up just as much space if not more than 3 2.5. If you set the 3 2.5 side by side you can check it out. I also think the 2.5s would be easier to keep up with water changes, etc. Not to mention if they are separated and one gets sick, at least all of them won't get sick. Just my 2 cents.

For those that have 2.5 cycled tanks....do you have trouble vacuuming with a syphon? Right now I use a combination of air tubing and a cup to do waterchanges on my cycled 3 gallon, but it is barebottom. I can't really use the tubing on anything with gravel (which I want). So I'm thinking of buying the smallest size gravel cleaner, but it seems like getting it to start would be stressful to the betta and messy in such a small tank.

Right now I'm thinking of getting two 2.5's and just keeping my friend's girl in the 1.5 (I think) gallon she comes with. It would be so much easier and relaxed with a 5 gallon but I don't have room for more than one :\ I guess I'm kinda holding off on buying the new tanks incase something happens to one of the bettas. It seems unlikely though, since mine are still pretty active and healthy despite cataracts from old age (I've had them for about a year now)

I'd go with three different tanks personally, they are easier to move around if you are short on space and you might find the bettas get stressed living so close to each other with the dividers. I found that if they were in seperate tanks but next to each other it was ok, but when they were in the same tank but divided the littlest got really stressed and ended up blowing out his fins.

I found that if they were in seperate tanks but next to each other it was ok, but when they were in the same tank but divided the littlest got really stressed and ended up blowing out his fins.

Really? I wonder what the difference is to them?