Sign in to follow this  
hurleygurl_7

Black Moor Stuck To Filter Intake

I just woke up and my black moor was stuck to the filter intake.. i thought he was dead because he wasnt moving and so i tried to scoop him out but then he started swimming around. i put him in a bucket and fed him and he seems to be eating a bit, but i dont know why he was stuck to the filter! any help

hi, has your fishie been sick before? Sometimes if they're a bit weak they can get stuck to the filter.

Hi hurleygurl - no, it's not usually a one time thing unfortunately. Fish that are weak can get caught on the intake so the question is why?

The best place to start would be to answer as many of the questions in the white box as possible to see if it may be something in your tank.

Please post back soon :)

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? not sure

Nitrite Level? n/a

Nitrate level? n/a

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 8

Ph Level out of the Tap? 8

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gal, running about 3 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? aquatech 5-15 filter

How often do you change the water and how much? 2-3 times weekly, about 25%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fish (i know thats way too many but i cant do anything about it for now) and they are about 1.5 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners? goldfishlife conditioner

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? tetrafin goldfish flakes, and occassionaly peas

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? some have air bubbles stuck to them??

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? the black moor seems to be weak at times, but they all eat and once i get him to be active, if he is just laying there, he is fine

If you cannot get a test kit to check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, see if you can get a sample of your tank water to the local pet store and ask them to test it for you. Make sure to ask them to test for all three (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates) and have them write down the actual numbers, not just if they are "ok" or "safe" It could definitely be a water quality issue with the amount of fish that you have in there, and this way we can rule it out. Sometimes certain fish react more than others, so even though you only have one sick fish it could still be a water quality issue.

If you can post back with that info we will know where to start. Even if it is not caused by water quality, all illnesses require perfect water for healing.

If you can pick up some Prime or Amquel Plus at the pet store that would be good too. If there are water quality issues these products help detoxify some of the bad things in the water. You still have to do water changes, but it helps in between. You would use one of them instead of the current water conditioner you are using, since you do not want to mix two different ones. Both Prime and Amquel Plus also remove chlorine, chloramines and other harmful toxins.

Good luck to you, if you can get a water test that will help immensely.

Edited by jen626

how's ur fishie doing?

he is much worse today and is just floating around with his belly up, occassionaly moving but not a lot. i know that there is no chlorine in the water or anything like that because we have a well for our water.. i dont really know what to do, i dont think he will make it much longer.

try feeding him peas and you should still use a good water conditioner.

sorry for your loss. it may have something to do with the tank size or maybe he became ill and was not strong enough so he gave in and his time was up.

once again i am so sorry i hate it when some one loses there pet it is so sad :rip: little fishy.

Edited by rock4life

so sorry about little fishie :cry1