Help With Punch -oranda And Big Heads

Please

Ok...Ok.... We all can learn something- no one is an expert until they take the ultimate "plung" in life LOL-

My opinion has changed. Punch- as he goes thru growth spurts - has had a serious growth spurt- in the Wen. His sight has been overly compromised - The Chinese wall has now taken a serious second to thickness.

I need; especially from those people that have recently presented some serious results to the process they took and the updates, current conditions and all, to give serious dialogue on this issue - not is it right or wrong- because I was a definate defender of the natural way- but the logistics- what they encounter when they actually were prepared to cut- etc. any disease problerms - bleeding, etc....

lets pull these facts together- I have to take this road and I would value all those who have gone this road of allowing their Oranda to, again, see the light. Technique, photos as well if you can- thanks

With my luck when I do the dirty deed - my face is the first he will see and will never wish to be touched by me again LOL LOL

Punch and Eric.

Guest jesso

Hey ive been researching that a little myself for a friend, heres a couple links, the first is a ladys experiance doing it, the second is an actual photo doc about a surgery,

i hope they are new and helpful to you, i will pass on any more that i do find!

good luck :)

http://www.koivet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16308

http://thegab.org/Articles/SurgeryWen.html

I'm curious, because the link above with the wen trimming photos, showed that that specific Panda Oranda's wen was growing at an excelled speed (good genetics I suspect)...so,

I wonder how that same wen is doing now, about a year and half later? Is a fast growing wen like that going to have to need an annual trim? That could be a very expensive annual vet bill.

I'm curious, because the link above with the wen trimming photos, showed that that specific Panda Oranda's wen was growing at an excelled speed (good genetics I suspect)...so,

I wonder how that same wen is doing now, about a year and half later? Is a fast growing wen like that going to have to need an annual trim? That could be a very expensive annual vet bill.

yes, the wen does grow back, much like you hair. Its going to need trimming often.

yes, the wen does grow back, much like you hair. Its going to need trimming often.

Of course it grows back, :D . But the story of that Panda Oranda was proving HIS particular wen is a fast grower. I just wondered if anyone knew if that fishes' owner has posted anything since. :)

One of my fish while being transferred to another tank thrashed out of the net fell and hit the floor head first. I was hysterical, his wen broke off in pieces and there was even a piece of his wen on the floor. The large piece that was hanging off he eventually ate. :blink: Needless to say I qt'd him and babied him for about a month and a half. Not only is he fine but his wen has grown back three times the size it origionally was in two months. If you trim it be prepared that it may grow faster and even larger.

One of my fish while being transferred to another tank thrashed out of the net fell and hit the floor head first. I was hysterical, his wen broke off in pieces and there was even a piece of his wen on the floor. The large piece that was hanging off he eventually ate. :blink: Needless to say I qt'd him and babied him for about a month and a half. Not only is he fine but his wen has grown back three times the size it origionally was in two months. If you trim it be prepared that it may grow faster and even larger.

haha, if you need a good head growth, go ahead and trim it. You should get a larger one by this theory. J/K

:rofl

Oh boy. I may be in trouble then. :blink: My red/black got HITH, and lost his wen completely. It was quite big before he lost it, but it hasn't started taking shape yet to know if it's going to be bigger the second time around. The first layer has grown in first, and now it's growing back to front, a little at a time. I'm sure it'll be back to normal within a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm trying to fatten him up a bit to get ready for the possibility of having to lug around a little more than before. :)

One of my fish while being transferred to another tank thrashed out of the net fell and hit the floor head first. I was hysterical, his wen broke off in pieces and there was even a piece of his wen on the floor. The large piece that was hanging off he eventually ate. Needless to say I qt'd him and babied him for about a month and a half. Not only is he fine but his wen has grown back three times the size it origionally was in two months. If you trim it be prepared that it may grow faster and even larger.

Kids, This is always why you should always wear a helmet. They save lives. ;):rofl

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

Thank you all for your responses- yes and he gets growth spirts - his last one just tickened up everything- the links were gantastic and am in the process of looking for the antibioitics trhey are speaking of; and now know the benefits of using hydrogen peroxide when you have a wound like that- and it helps reduce the anticipated stress reaction.

At least I know one thing about Punch- he will gladly go fpr a ride- in fact, as I have mentioned in a previous post- when I use the net to fish things out - he quickly swims into it as if by saying " oh boy, where are we off to now" .... this is a little embarassing when you have people over and they are used to having their fish run away from the net LOL.....