Omg My Fish Hatched!

jen626

• Supporter

I have fry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are three or four that are free swimming already! I thought it took like 6 days! Crap and I had not moved them yet, so I am scared to but I am working on it leaving the container they are in, and lowering it slowly. I know I am not supposed to move them but they can't live in Tupperware right? And I have not found shrimp eggs yet....what the heck am I supposed to do??????

Durn, durn, durn i am so stupid and unprepared!

Edited by jen626

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

Ok, so now they are in a 10 gallon tank with 5 inches of water and a very slow air bubbler. There are about 8-10 fry that I can see now...I actually saw one hatch out of it's egg!

I left the Tupperware bowl in the tank since they seem to be able to stick to the side of it and I don't have any good silk plants. But they definitely swim around!

Sadly, Craig saw one in the main tank but even though we shut the filters off right away we could not find it afterwards.

But two problems...I still have not found any brine shrimp eggs to hatch bbs with...can I get them at a big pet store chain like vvvv?

Second problem, there are a few fuzzy white eggs stuck in the filter intake (that is what the eggs were stuck to initially-it is not attached to a filter) but I cannot get them off without disturbing all the fry. Do you think it is ok to leave them there until they fall off then suction them out?

Daryl told me to hurry with the bbs and I couldn't find them right away and also I did not think they would be swimming around in only 3 days!

Sorry, i am just a little excited AND way nervous.

Edited by jen626

• Supporter

So here is what the setup looks like...a filter intake screen, in a Tupperware bowl, in a 10 gallon tank. Sponge filter will be added tomorrow.

setup.jpg

And you really can't see them but the two little black lines in the front middle and off to the left are fry stuck to the bowl

blurryfry2.jpg

Let me know if you have any ideas...i am worried about the few fuzzy eggs onthe intake, but I cannot get them off without crushing the fry hanging underneath. A few white fuzzies have fallen off them I suctioned them out, is it safe to wait?

Edited by jen626

You should be able to get the eggs at vvvv - I think I have seen them there. Also, if you can't find those, I think you can use hard boiled egg yolk or hikari first bites/liquidfry if you find either of those. All of them should be in the fish food aisle, even the brine shrimp eggs. Good luck!

• Supporter

Thanks! :-) Also, I wonder if I could scrape green algae from my 20 gallon and put it in the 10 gallon with the fry? Would something like that work? I certainly have tons in there.

Edited by jen626

That would be nice for them to munch on. Here's a list of fry foods: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...?showtopic=8258

How warm is your water? If it is really warm, that could be why they hatched early. Warmer temps boost metabolism, so they would be developing quicker. Looks like you are doing well! :)

• Supporter

Actually the water was just room temp, about 72. I didn't have a heater small enough to work in that Tupperware bowl. They are mostly stuck to the side of the bowl and the filter screen but two have ventured out into the tank, one stuck to the wall and one of the floor.

:D Woo-Hoo!! Congrats Jen!!

My fry all hatched alot faster than what I thought too.I'm pretty sure that my warmer temps did have alot to do with that.

I was buying those 3 pks of San Francisco Bay Brand Brine Shrimp Hatch Mix The warmer it's kept,the faster they hatch,and you'll need an air stone to use with it.

(it comes allready to go with salt in it) and can be found at most Pet Smarts.You can also look into baby frozen brine shrimp until you get some real live shrimp going ,or even the Hikari first Bites is another good one to keep in the house. boiled egg yolk is good too Jen,but realize that something like that can really mess your tank up.

The biggest thing that I realized with the fry though was clean water and exactly how water was added to the fry.The slightest rush of water can break their tiny little backs and fins,so you'll want to do water changes with something like air-line tubing.

My goodness woman,if anything's for sure,it's the fact that we've had a ton of fry stories,so start reading(bet ya allready did) :rofl

Good luck and keep us posted!

Algae's good too BTW. :)

• Supporter

Thanks Devs!

Sadly, in the midst of new life, my betta, Chauncey Huffcat has passed away. Old age I think, although I have only had him a year.

So I guess my other question is what to do about the fuzzy eggs still stuck in there...to move them I risk crushing the live fry. Some fell off and I suctioned them out, is it safe to wait until they fall off?

i have been reading tons of posts, it is definitely breeding season!

Edited by jen626

• Supporter

OK...I read that methylene blue can help with the fungusy eggs. Would that work in my situation? I just don't think I can get the fuzzy eggs out of the filter screen without crushing the live fry under and behind it.

Can I get something like that at vvvv and will it hurt the fish?

I have about 20 live ones for the moment, we will see if any of them make it through the night, I am very skeptical. I feel terrible that i have seen some live ones in the main tank, but I tried fishing them out with a cup and I just can't, they are too small and it is too hard. What blew me away though was 1 day old fry swimming AWAY from the filter current! Strong little buggers.

Have you got a turkey blaster Jen? Invaluable with fry. You can suck up the fuzzy eggs with it. I got a syringe thingy that did the job too :) .Useful later for cleaning up leftover food. Congrats on the hatching.

I bought frozen brine shrimp in cubes btw.

Frozen Baby brine shrimp are a fine substitute for live hatched brine shrimp. Since you have so few fry, you will not break the bank feeding them these for the first week or two of life - when they can go on to Daphnia and crushed adult food.

Do not worry about the fuzzy white eggs. They will harm nothing. In the future, if you have eggs, I suggest you add a bit of Methelene blue or straight Acriflavine to the water that the maturing eggs are in. This will keep the fungus from getting out of control. Some eggs that are not fertile will still get a bit fuzzy, but they will not transfer any fungus to unhatched eggs this way. It is too late to worry about it now.

When the fry are about 1 week old (free swimming) you will want to change out the water. At that time, you can remove the intake cover and the fungusy eggs without damaging or injuring any eggs/fry. I try not to disturb my new fry for at least a week - that is why it is so important to start with as fresh a water as possible in the begining. It is easy to change water when there are eggs that are stuck firmly to something. It is another thing altogether when you have delicate little fry.

Your eggs will hatch in about 3 days at 72-74F. Do not try to hatch them warmer - they will not develop properly in too short of a time. Ideal temps are considered 65-68 for commons, 68-70 for standard fancies, 70-72 for longfinned and delicate fancies. Most breeders seem to agree that the average temps of 70F are best for the most breeds - they hatch in about 4 days. This is short enough time that fertile eggs do not succumb to fungus and long enough time that the fry fully develop.

Sharon is sooooooo right - water changes will do in so many of your fry - messing up fins and backs - if you are not VERY careful. Place your waste bucket at almost the same height as your tank. That way, you will get the minimum suction on the tube. I use a very small syphon tube (3/4 inch diameter) with a 1/4 inch hose. The large tube at the front will also weaken the suction of the syphon. I have found that if you stick your hand allllll the way done to the bottom of the tube. Grab the tube with two finger and waggle your fingers around it as you move it slowly over the bottom of the tank. The waggling will make the fry swim away from the syphon tube - so you do not suck them up. Place the syphon outlet tube across the bottom of your waste bucket - so if you do syphon out a fry by accident, they do not fall into the waste water, but are swished gently out into the water. Examine your water carefully when you are done - and pull any fry you may have accidentally syphoned back out with a spoon or cup.

When you return fresh water to the tank, I have found that the best way is to "set" a cup of fresh water on the surface of the tank and turn it in, and pull the cup out from under the fresh water. That way there is no water poured into the tank - no current, etc. Make sure the water is the same in temp and everything but waste as the water in the tank.

I am sorry about Chauncey Huffcat.

• Supporter

Thanks again Daryl and Trinket,

I do have a turkey baster to get crud out, but even that so close to all the fry stuck in that bowl would be too dangerous I think. Since Daryl thinks it is ok now I will leave the fuzzy eggs alone.

I now have about 25 fry that i can see although there is probably more hanging off the back and inside of the filter intake screen. Every once and awhile they swim up to the surface or move somewhere. Most are stuck to the inside of the Tupperware bowl but there are a few out in the tank too.

I have seen a few more in the main tank, but I just can't catch them-if they survive to be a little bigger maybe I can, but that is unlikely with the pig-monsters constantly scrounging for food :-(

I will get some frozen baby brine shrimp today, I think that may be easiest since I don't have many fry and will be lucky if any of them make it to eating stage. I will pick up some Hikari first bites too.

Is there any way to help the cycle along? Could I shove a few seeded ceramic cylinders in the middle of the sponge filter or would that not be enough to make a difference?

Thanks again everyone, I was just a little excited last night!

YOu can drop a bag of seeded cylindars to the bottom of the tank. Or set them under the sponge so that the water flows over them to the sponge. I am kinda scared to stick anything into the sponge filter - the flow is soooo slow with only the air bubbles driving it, but fry still have a way of getting themselves stuck into the nastiest places and dying. I do not even like having the sponge touch the side of the tank - the fry seem to get stuck between the sponge and the glass and die. I have had to release soooo many stuck fry that way - and many that I do not find in time. If you manage to make any "cracks" or openings in the sponge, a fry will find a way of jamming themselves into it.

Frozen baby brine shrimp are really great - when you do not have to use 6 cubes 5 times a day! They are a bit expensive, but chok full of vitamins and good protien for growing fry. I love 'em. Do not get the "Brine Shrimp" - get the "Baby Brine Shrimp". The Brine ones are too big for fry under about 3 weeks of age to eat.

I have a small set of fry that I call my "immaculate fry". They were conceived with the milt laden water as I lifted the female out of a tank. They were hatched (unknown to me at the time) in the bottom of a bare bottom tank with two monster females in the same tank. No plants, no gravel, no nothing but water and fish and a 400gph filter running full blast. Over 12 made it fine. When I was emptying the tank to transfer the female fish to another tank, I spotted them - just barely past the free swimming stage. I had not fed them, either - so they had to have been nibbling adult food - no algae there either! I sucked them up with a turkey baster and dropped them in with some other fry of the same age. They are growing strong and beautiful. They were NOT eaten. I do not know why - but they were not. Perhaps the adults were too big to bother with such little things, I do not know. (Theye ate 1/2 inch cubes of gel food in a bite - and about 6 of them in a meal!) So all is not lost - if you can spot a fry - suck it up in the baster and go for it! You may find more! (Particularly if you have plants, gravel, etc. in the tank. You would be suprised how well those little guys hide! That is how they survive!)

EVery time I think I have about 100 fry, I get about 500. There always seem to be more than you think when they become free swimming and you can acutally see them all at once! I bet you have a nice selection there.

:)

• Supporter

OK, I got frozen baby brine shrimp and some Hikari first bites for later (oops...it is Hikari Tropical First Bites...is that ok? It says good for all newborn fish). Thanks for the good advice...so far I can see about 30 fry but they may be more in or behind the filter intake screen. Some of the fry are swimming around a little but most are still hanging on the sides of the tank/bowl...do I want to wait until they are all free swimming to start feeding them? I think they still have tiny egg sacs but i am not totally sure. Also, would it be a good idea to scrape green algae from my 20 gallon and put it in there?

I also got a sponge filter to set up, but it is HUGE, the only one I could find-it says it can be used for ponds and up to 125 gallon tanks! It is a little bigger than my hand and 3-4 inches thick...should I cut it down somehow? I am worried that will wreck it. I only have like 5-6 inches of water in the tank and this thing is gigantic. It does say it is made especially not to trap baby fish though and mentions that it is good for breeding.

Here are pics:

spongefilter2.jpg

spongefilter.jpg

Thanks for all of the great advice, and if I see anymore fry swimming in the main tank I will use the turkey baster and try and get them out...can't believe I didn't think of that, lol!

Edited by jen626

Oops my mistake. I meant to write frozen baby brine. Anyway daryl has cleared that up -thanks. Also the tropical hikari is exactly what I fed mine after the first week along with the baby brine (feed it very lightly...soaked in tank water and then injected to the bottom with the blaster).

You can try feeding a teeny amount to the free swimming ones. They may bite. May not. Mine were slow and then suddenly wwwoooooo! :D

Edited by Trinket

Any size sponge should work well. That one does not look too big. I have ones that are 4 or 6 inches in diameter - they are cylindars. The sponge filter should have a center area that allows an air bubbler to fit - and the air bubbles will travel up inside the sponge and out the top. This action will gently pull water through the sponge and up the tube with the bubbles as they rise. The action of pulling water gently through the sponge will pull the ammonia/nitrites through the sponge - the platform for the beneficial bacteria. As your fry get bigger and you feed more and more food that is not "live" (frozen baby brine shrimp are equal to "live" in waste and nutrition values), you will get more and more waste that will need to be processed by that sponge.

HAving a large one will allow it to slowly build the community of beneficial bacteria - it colony will grow as the fry grow - processing more and more waste as they produce it. Watch the water quality carefully, though. The fry have a way of outgrowing a sponge quickly - before it can catch up.

You will find that as the fry grow you will need more and more biological filtration to handle their waste. I have small water pumps that fit into the tops of the sponge filter. These I run with a hose to a HOB filter box - no intake used. The water pump will pull the water through the seasoned sponge and pass it through the filter box. I have invented an outflow reducer that prevents waterfall force into the tank - and you can up your gph to about 160gph per pump. I use 2 sponge stacks and 2 pumps feeding an Emperor 400 box on the back of a 30 or 40 gal tank. This keeps they fry well until about 8 weeks of age, for me. I reduce fry numbers then - do about 50-80 fry per 30-40 gallons of water.

So start that sponge going. If you can, place it in the center-ish of the tank to prevent any fry from getting stuck between the sponge and the tank glass. It will work splendidly. :)

• Supporter

The sponge filter was a complete disaster. I probably doomed all the fish setting up...which is why I should've done it in the first place like daryl said. :-(

Does the stem that comes out hte top have to be underwater for the filter to work, or does that matter? I will have to saw it off if so since it sticks up like 7" and my water is only 5" deep. Also, I tried my best but it took forever to get it sit on the bottom of the tank and to make matters worse, even though I washed it a lot, there are pieces of sponge floating in the fry water.

The stress, added debris and everything is probably not going to be good...but I have no one but myself to blame. Darn, darn, darn.

Well, let me know if that stem has to be underwater or not, so I can at least try and get it working if it needs to be under.

Edited by jen626

• Supporter

Here is a pic of my disaster (see above post) with bad paint skills to boot...does that stem need to be underwater?

spongefilter-1.jpg

Edited by jen626

• Supporter

OK, I was stressing hardcore last night if you didn't notice, but all is well now. Sponge filter is up and going with help from daryl and Jen W. I have at least 30 live fry right now and they are starting to swim around a bit and have had their first bbs meal, although I don't think they ate much.

Thanks for listening!

And the latest blurry pic;

AWARD.jpg

Edited by jen626