When I Get My New Tank What Can I Add

Daniel

okay i should be getting a 55 gallon really soon and want to no what type of fish can i put in with my goldies, (there are 3 orandas going into this tank) i really like the small schooling fish, guppies etc any ideas?

If your goldies are very big they might try to eat any small schooling fish! :D If not then I would probably try rosy red minnows since they like the same water temps as gf and you can get them really cheap as they are feeder fish. I have 3 rosies but they are in with my trops--never tried with my goldies. A lot of people seem to like white cloud mt. minnows too but they are even smaller then rosies.

Whatever you get don't forget to qt first. Esp. the rosy reds cause they are frequently not as well taken care of. Adding some aquarium salt to my qt really helped my rosies. I love them, they have cute personalities so I think they are worth the effort.

Hi rock4life and good luck with your new tank :)

I have been keeping goldfish and a hundred other species for the past 40 years +. My honest answer is to keep goldfish, goldfish and goldfish with goldfish. There are scores of different types of goldfish available nowadays, each with unique features and characteristics.

I believe that most of the members of this forum are of the same opinion. If you prefer a variety of species go for a coolwater community and if you still wish to include goldfish, consider the hardy single-tails.

Good luck!

thanks i have a while to think this over as i am not getting the tank for a while maybe 2 months but i am planning fo the future now so i no what i am going to do. nah they are not very big. but i don't have them yet, my cousin breeds them so i am getting some once the tank has been cycled. but i do like the smaller schooling fish so maybe i should go for some tropicals? i currently have 3 goldies in a 30 gallon tank. not sure what they are where i bought them they were marked as commets but at the aquarium shop near my house they are marked as shubunkins? i have had them for about 2 months so they are not very big

• 2 weeks later...

I have white cloud minnows and long finned zebra danios with my goldies. These fish can tolerate a range of temps hence being found in both tropical and cold water set-ups. I wouldn't put purely tropical fish in a cold water tank though, and guppies are tropical.

Incidentally my goldfish are getting quite big now and are not interested in eating the smaller fish.

If you currently have shubunkins, I'd put them in the bigger tank and put 2 orandas in the 30 gallon.

bw

cupoftea

:) With a 55 gal tank and already three Orandas, which have the potential to get quite large, I would not add anymore fish! Perhaps if you are really set on one, maybe one more goldfish, but I would not go over that! They are producers of so much waste and get so big that your 55 gal tank will soon be overcrowded or will become harder to keep the water quality where its suppose to be.

thanks vmola but i am not sure if am getting orandas anymore maybe 2 ranchu i like them they are cute i am still thinking of whether to turn it into a tropical tank or a goldie tank

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I agree, I have goldfish with Dojos and there great. The really good part is when your goldfish get so big they cant really eat small pieces of food the dojos will clean it up :D

I like the white cloud mountain minnows, they're very cute, I wouldnt add tropicals, shubunkins need big tanks cause they're single tailed and they get big

sadly you can not buy dojo's in australia and i might be getting my cousins 30gallon as well so the 55 would be for my goldies and turn the 30 into a tropical and then i have my 10 which could be home to 2 bettas with a divider

Edited by rock4life