Marineland Penguin Power Filter

Hi, I want to treat my goldie for possible parasite infection but as w/all meds you have to remove the carbon but w/ the marineland penguin biowheel powerfilter cartridges, i do not see how that is possible w/o removing the entire cartridge. Any suggestions or should i remove the whole cartridge? I still have the canister, fluval 205 w/sponges but it only filters out 180gph. does it matter?

Karla

You do not need to run carbon in your filter unless you are taking meds out of your tank. With the filter cartridges, I slit the top, the blue material, and take the carbon out. Make the slit as close to the top as possible and not the entirely across the top. Then just put the cartridge back in the filter. Do this to all of the cartridges if using more then one.

Actually, I have found that if you slit the bottom or the side of the cartridge, the blue floss will not sag from water/gravity over time. This will give you a lot longer useful life from the cartridge.

While you are at it, why not drop extra media into the space in the cartridge after the carbon is out? It is easy to take back out and add to the next cartridge when and if you change them out!

:)

Once carbon has been sitting in a high-flow area of a tank or filter for two full weeks or more, it is most likely full and will not remove any more impurities from the water. At that point, all carbon is good for is extra space for the beneficial bacterias to grow........ ;)