Ryukin Sitting At The Bottom Of The Tank

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! :rockon See? He just wanted you to take that gravel out of there. WTG!

Do you think that's what it was? From it scraping the gravel?

I don't know. But I'm sure he's gotta be a happier fish now. He can scoot around on the bottom, no worries now. :heart I wish I could kiss him.

• 1 month later...

Jack has basically been on his side all this time and his gill cover became ragged from all the friction from being scraped on the bottom of the tank. Good thing I went bare bottom because had I still had gravel, Jack's gill cover probably would have been shredded. :(

He has been skimming around the tank on his side for the last couple of month now. All that time he constantly struggled to right himself up to no avail. However the last couple of weeks, I have seen him succeed on a rare occasion where he could sit normally for a moment. The success rate has improved with each passing day, and the last few days, he is actually sitting normally more often than not. Today, I fed them peas(Jack's favorite) and Jack actually jumped few inches and managed to catch a floating pea and when he landed, he landed upright! His gill cover is starting to heal. I am just amazed at Jack's incredible will to fight and his incredible desire to try to return to normal. Back last Spring, Jack sat motionless on the bottom and was so weak that I had to drop his food directly into his mouth. His belly was as flat as the bottom of an iron and even Rick from goldfishconnection told me that there really isn't anything you can for a fish once the belly flattens out that much. Even the quintessential optimist that I am, thought Jack wouldn't make it.

Here almost a year later, after many ups and downs, Jack is making some improvements. He truly is an amazing fish. :) And he owes a tremendous debt of gratitude to all you guys who posted on this thread. :thanks He would not be where he is now without all your help. :grouphug

It seems that Jack is quite the optimist, too. :) He knew he could get better, he never gave up, and now he has gotten better - with a lot of TLC from his fish Daddy. :exactly

What wonderful news, JoH. :heart Thank you for sharing his progress with all of us! He is truly an inspiration! :happydance

Debbie

It seems that Jack is quite the optimist, too. :) He knew he could get better, he never gave up, and now he has gotten better - with a lot of TLC from his fish Daddy. :exactly

What wonderful news, JoH. :heart Thank you for sharing his progress with all of us! He is truly an inspiration! :happydance

Debbie

Thank you so much Debbie!!! :D