Sign in to follow this  
Jack of Hearts

Ryukin Sitting At The Bottom Of The Tank

I just found this thread and have read the whole thing. How is Jack doing now? I really hope he can overcome!!

-also, I'm curious to know more about the growth on sasha. How long has it been since you first noticed it? I have a similar type thing with my fish. I have a ryukin/fantail mix who started to get this bump directly on the top of his head...it started out the same color as his flesh, but over time it turned black and grew to the size of about a pencil eraser....now, some of the black is going out of it and it is becoming flesh colored again....he has had this thing for over 2 years now, but it isn't effecting his health or behavior at all.

On the other hand, I have a shubunkin who developed a really nasty tumor on his side...it started out the same way, but it grew rapidly, and it is gross....i can't even describe it other than gross and tumorish. haha.....so....I am kinda curious to see if your fish has something similar to either of mine. For your (and your fishie's) sake, i hope it is really nothing!!

I also want to say that i think you are doing a great job taking care of your little guys! Keep up your determination, and keep us posted on how your little guys are doing!!!

Hi Grain. Thank you for taking the time to read this long thread. Even the extreme optimist that I am, is starting to think that Jack may never be normal again. He doesn't seem to be suffering but it saddens me to watch a fish who was so intelligent and active(he was the only fish I knew that could imitate the movement of another fish) has great difficulties eating food off the gravel.

As for Sash, It seems like this growth has stopped at about 5 scales. It's actually transuluscent, like a jolly rancher candy, that you can see(barely) the scales underneath are intact. He also now has a blood spot on his tail fin, but that could be from a injury as he never stops doing acrobats. Other than that he is a picture of health. Great appetite, good poop, almost non stop activity.

I am really sorry about Jack....I know what you are going through, and I know it's so sad. On the positive side, at least he is hanging in there, and he doesn't seem to be suffering or anything, so that's good. Plus, he has a great owner who is taking the best care of him. He's lucky for that....many others would have given up on him, i'm sure. It's good that Sash's "wierd thing" has stopped growing, hopefully it was just from some injury and won't develop into anything!

Keep us posted on their progress :)

I am sorry that Jack is no better. Take comfort knowing that you have tried everything you could for him, and he isn't suffering. I have heard that some fish get this way for different reasons, and whatever they have isn't life threatening, but they won't be the same. I know it's hard to watch though. You wonder if they see their "swim buddies" swimming around, and wish they were swimming, too. Smokey was so incredibly playful. I hardly ever saw him resting. You can't help but look at them and ask "Why did this have to happen?".

I would like to thank you, by the way. It was your thread that gave me the idea to try hand feeding my Smokey because he couldn't get the food. That worked until this past Wednesday, and he won't eat now. It's almost like he's embarrassed, and he'll put his face in a corner of the tank so I can't get to his mouth. At least he ate a few days last week. I keep trying anyway. I'm hoping he'll just be hungry enough to eat again one of these days.

A different forum suggested that he may have swim bladder disorder, and told me to try giving him an epsom salt bath, but he's been so weak that I can't bring myself to put him through the stress of it. Did you ever try it with Jack? (I'm sorry - it was a long thread and I read it last weekend.. I think it was mentioned but I don't recall if you had done it or not) I heard that it is very stressful on the fish.

It is good that the fish have "friends" to comfort them instead of attack them, although sometimes Dot seems frustrated with him, and will bump him to make him swim. He only scurries from one place to another, and like your fish, will shoot up to the top then swim/fall (it's half and half) back to the bottom occasionally.

It's nice to see that your fish mean so much to you. I was afraid that I was a fanatic about mine, because my husband has told me that we should get rid of the fish because they're too much trouble - even though I tend to the fish myself. When I try talking to him about how worried I am, he tells me "It's just a fish!". He also said that is Smokey doesn't make it, I'd better not get upset because he'll get upset with me. I guess that's why I got hooked on forums, because people here CARE about their fish.

I'm sorry - I started rambling...

Good luck with your fish, and keep up the good work. I'm sure Jack knows that you're doing all you can for him! I agree with grain - please keep us posted. :)

Oh - by the way. Totally off the subject, :rolleyes: but I am originally from North Haven, CT. I've been in Orlando, FL for the past 19 years, but most of my family is still in CT.

Just thought I'd mention it. :)

I am really sorry about Jack....I know what you are going through, and I know it's so sad. On the positive side, at least he is hanging in there, and he doesn't seem to be suffering or anything, so that's good. Plus, he has a great owner who is taking the best care of him. He's lucky for that....many others would have given up on him, i'm sure. It's good that Sash's "wierd thing" has stopped growing, hopefully it was just from some injury and won't develop into anything!

Keep us posted on their progress :)

Good news about Jack. Jack is once again trying to get some "air" time to try to learn how to swim again. :) He stopped doing that for a while, hence my post about Jack taking a step back.

YAAYYY Jack!! I hope he keeps it up! :D

Maybe it's all part of his recovery. Working a bit, and resting a bit. Such good news! Thank you for sharing!

It's nice to see that your fish mean so much to you. I was afraid that I was a fanatic about mine, because my husband has told me that we should get rid of the fish because they're too much trouble - even though I tend to the fish myself. When I try talking to him about how worried I am, he tells me "It's just a fish!". He also said that is Smokey doesn't make it, I'd better not get upset because he'll get upset with me. I guess that's why I got hooked on forums, because people here CARE about their fish.

I'm sorry - I started rambling...

Good luck with your fish, and keep up the good work. I'm sure Jack knows that you're doing all you can for him! I agree with grain - please keep us posted. :)

One of my very best friend told me this once and it is so true. He said that the great thing about the internet is, no matter what your interest is, regardles of how obscue, you will find friends in forums that are just as passionate about it as you are. :exactly

And you're right Fishy Fish, it's not "just a fish". It is our beloved pet. :)

Oh - by the way. Totally off the subject, :rolleyes: but I am originally from North Haven, CT. I've been in Orlando, FL for the past 19 years, but most of my family is still in CT.

Just thought I'd mention it. :)

North Haven is not that far from me. Probably just under an hour drive. :)

Jack is now able to get some food off the gravel by purposely laying on his side and picking up some food that way. He then has difficulty righting himself up and it takes a while but he eventually gets himself back on his belly. I really don't know if he's actual condition is improving but he is trying so hard to re-learn movements that he once was capable of. He is a fighter. :)

Hey JOH,

I have just found this thread and have been reading thru it. You have had quite a time! I am so sorry about Jack and Sash, but it seems like you have a fighter on your hands and he is not ready to throw the towel in yet!

I can understand what Fishy Fish was saying in an earlier post. It seems that there are not many men who can understand that fish are pets, just like cats and dogs. My hubby TRIES to understand, but I really don't think he "gets it". It is so nice having you in this forum! Not because you are a MAN, but because you are nice, very helpful to everyone, and someone who "gets it". I sure hope Jack keeps improving! My fingers are crossed!!!!

Hey JOH,

I have just found this thread and have been reading thru it. You have had quite a time! I am so sorry about Jack and Sash, but it seems like you have a fighter on your hands and he is not ready to throw the towel in yet!

I can understand what Fishy Fish was saying in an earlier post. It seems that there are not many men who can understand that fish are pets, just like cats and dogs. My hubby TRIES to understand, but I really don't think he "gets it". It is so nice having you in this forum! Not because you are a MAN, but because you are nice, very helpful to everyone, and someone who "gets it". I sure hope Jack keeps improving! My fingers are crossed!!!!

Thank you so much for your kind words Nickie! :)

It seems that there are not many men who can understand that fish are pets, just like cats and dogs. My hubby TRIES to understand, but I really don't think he "gets it". It is so nice having you in this forum! Not because you are a MAN, but because you are nice, very helpful to everyone, and someone who "gets it".

Thank you so much for your kind words Nickie! :)

Luckily, my DH has taken a keen interest in my fish, and has even learned how to care for them properly. I told him should something happen to me, I need him to be able to take care of them.

I agree with you Nickie - Jack is VERY nice. Cute too! :heart

I agree with you Nickie - Jack is VERY nice. Cute too! :heart

Hmmm, have not seen a pic yet... Will have to check that out!!! LOL! :teehee

Jack,

How are the fish today???

Sash is very healthy. He just has that weird growth on his scales that nobody knows what it is. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit.

Jack is trying very hard to learn how to swim again. He will probably never be normal again but he sure is trying. :) He seems happy otherwise and I am pretty sure he is not in pain or suffering.

Jack,

How are the fish today???

Sash is very healthy. He just has that weird growth on his scales that nobody knows what it is. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit.

Jack is trying very hard to learn how to swim again. He will probably never be normal again but he sure is trying. :) He seems happy otherwise and I am pretty sure he is not in pain or suffering.

That is great news, and you never know, he may just surprise you yet!!! He sure is a fighter and he has a great "human" to care for him!

The donut shaped growth on Jack's anal region has gotten so big that he is not able to sit flat any longer. He is constantly flipped over to his side and after struggling for a couple of minutes, he is able to right himself up. When I originally posted about the donut/bagel shaped growth, nobody knew what it was. It has been progressively been getting bigger and bigger. It literally looks like a compressed donut and is about an inch and a half in diameter now. I have never seen anythng like this before. I am posting again in hope that someone that may know what this is will see it and help us.

Is he able to rest on the glass now, off of the gravel? Would probably make feeding him much, much easier too.

Poor little guy. He has been sick for a long time.

that sounds just awful :(

any chance of pics of it?

Hi grain! :)

My computer got taken over by some virus and it cannot connect to the internet now. I am using an ancient Mac computer that my boss gave me which currently does not have the capability to hook up to my digital camera. I will not be getting a new computer until after the Holidays so I cannot post any pics now.

Actually I just thought of a way to be able to maybe post a pic. Let me try it.

Is he able to rest on the glass now, off of the gravel? Would probably make feeding him much, much easier too.

Poor little guy. He has been sick for a long time.

95% of the gravel is gone now. The smooth surface of the glass seems to be a double edged sword for Jack. It's easier on his bottom as he crawls along the bottom but it also makes it harder for him to sit straight as there is no extra support on the sides from the gravel.

aww, i feel so bad for jack :( i really wish it were easier to fix a fish's ailments!