Sign in to follow this  
Jack of Hearts

Ryukin Sitting At The Bottom Of The Tank

What is a viral dermatitis?

Page 79. :yeah: Although, it says to refer to "papillomatous lesions", but I can't find that anywhere.

Edited by Lolafish

It's not the car ride but more the surgery. I saw photos of it in "our" book and I would think it would be quite stressful for a fish.... :unsure:

Your fish doesn't have that problem. He's stuck on the bottom, not floating, of course. The book says (Page 78) that it's probably caused from the air bladder being filled with water instead of air. Of course it also says that bacterial could be the cause, but you have literally attacked that angle from every which way by now, and that doesn't seem to be it.

One thing no one has brought up yet is electrical currents. Do you have all of your tank equip. plugged into a GFI outlet? (ground fault interrupter for the noob's) When I bought my grounding rod for my tank, I was doing a lot of reading up on that, because I think I may have felt an electric current even before I installed my GFI. Although I've yet to install the grounding rod (I bought one too big I think), I think it gives good piece of mind for those worried about stray currents. Is there a possibility that Jack has been shocked?

One thing no one has brought up yet is electrical currents. Do you have all of your tank equip. plugged into a GFI outlet? (ground fault interrupter for the noob's) When I bought my grounding rod for my tank, I was doing a lot of reading up on that, because I think I may have felt an electric current even before I installed my GFI. Although I've yet to install the grounding rod (I bought one too big I think), I think it gives good piece of mind for those worried about stray currents. Is there a possibility that Jack has been shocked?

I don't know if they are GFI. The house was built in 1996 so should I assume that it is? I have never felt any electric current. I sure hope Jack wasn't shocked. :blink:

Dude, I think it's like Herpes. :unsure:

Fish can get that stuff?

I don't think it's the viral dermatitis because according to "our" book, it says it's white and waxy.

I don't know if they are GFI. The house was built in 1996 so should I assume that it is? I have never felt any electric current. I sure hope Jack wasn't shocked. :blink:

The GFI's are mandated to be in locations where there is potential for contact with water, so you'll find them in your bathrooms, maybe kitchen, and/or outside. Most people don't have their fish tanks in those places, so you have to replace your normal electrical outlets with the GFI's (which you can find at any Home Depot/Lowes/nnnnnn, etc...)

All they are, is those plug outlets with the red and black reset buttons, so if they come into contact with water, they'll shut off the electricity to whatever is plugged in at the time, and either reset itself, or have to be reset manually. They are really a must have near fish tanks, with all our wires from filters, air pumps, light fixtures, etc....

If you DON'T have one of these for your fish tank, if water drips down into the electrical outlet, electricity can run back up and into your water, putting stray currents into the water, which of course is a danger to your fish. I don't know if there's a way to tell if a fish has been shocked...although I know I've read about it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it again.

That's a good link Lolafish. That was a fascinating thread. I've had some electrical shock issues in my fry tank when the spray bar was hitting the overhead lights. That was scary. I could actually feel the electric current like a sting when I put my hands in the water. It was like what you can imagine it feels to put your hand in some very acidic liquid :o But I suppose you cannot always feel it.

Where is Bak2it? He was sooo helpful about this technical/electric stuff. I miss his input. I suppose it's a possibility- bottom sitting is a symptom of electrocution - but wouldn't Sash be affected too?

Seeing that pic of Sash could the fleshy raised part be the beginning of a bacterial sore?

The GFI's are mandated to be in locations where there is potential for contact with water, so you'll find them in your bathrooms, maybe kitchen, and/or outside. Most people don't have their fish tanks in those places, so you have to replace your normal electrical outlets with the GFI's (which you can find at any Home Depot/Lowes/nnnnnn, etc...)

All they are, is those plug outlets with the red and black reset buttons, so if they come into contact with water, they'll shut off the electricity to whatever is plugged in at the time, and either reset itself, or have to be reset manually. They are really a must have near fish tanks, with all our wires from filters, air pumps, light fixtures, etc....

I noticed the ones in the bathrooms and one set in the kitchen do have reset buttons. They are not red and black but white like the rest of the outlet. The tank is in the kitchen but is not plugged into one with a reset button. I didn't know about this. I will have to look into getting one with a reset button. I assume it's no biggie to install these things?

Edited by Jack of Hearts

Seeing that pic of Sash could the fleshy raised part be the beginning of a bacterial sore?

He had that when I did the antibac-bath & Medigold as well as the prazi pro.

I assume it's no biggie to install these things?

My husband did it no problem. You just have to match up the wires when you install it (ground wire, and red/black wires). I know the GFI's are a must have for fish tanks, but I am still not sold on the grounding probes. I've read good and bad about them. And there's still no way to know for sure if Jack was shocked. It is possible for one fish to get shocked and not another, since both would have had to be in the same place at the same time, since voltage travels in currents. But even if this is not Jack's problem, it's a good fish-keeping rule to have in place, so glad I could help with something. :)

My husband did it no problem. You just have to match up the wires when you install it (ground wire, and red/black wires).

Sounds easy enough. :)

it's a good fish-keeping rule to have in place, so glad I could help with something. :)

I hope everyone reading this thread follows your advice too. It may save someone's goldie one day. :exactly

I know you are worried about Sash right now, but you'll probably need more symptoms to figure it out. If he's acting normal otherwise, you probably won't be able to figure it out, but at least you know he was already treated when Jack was treated for possible infections/parasites.

Remember you said that Jack can swim a little bit when he wants to? Here's what I found about a collapsed swim bladder:

The swim bladder keeps the fish at the correct depth, so it does not have to waste energy for that purpose. But the drawback is that the balance applies to the depth where the fish is. If the fish swims deeper, or if the pressure in the swim bladder is reduced, the swim bladder contracts and the fish begins to sink. The fish would have to swim to keep himself at the correct depth. Even if the swim bladder totally collapses, the fish can easily swim upwards as it is never much heavier than the water. But it is a much more difficult situation if the pressure in the bladder increases and the fish floats upwards or is suddenly brought up from some depth to the surface. http://www.holar.is/~aquafarmer/node19.html

So now you have to figure out if his swim bladder is collapsed, or filled with water. I wonder if there's a way to tell?

I went deep sea fishing last Spring, and one of the fish I caught (all of the fish were let go because they were too small anyway, so I had less guilt after that for going fishing!!), had my hook through it's swim bladder. I remember the shipmate puncturing the bladder to let the air out of it (it was protruding out of its mouth), because he said it would die if he didn't. Evidently it was supposed to fill back up on its own. I don't know how they do that, but if a person can purposely let the air out of the fish's swim bladder, does it fill up with air because now it has an entrance point at the puncture site? I assume if a goldfish's swim bladder has emptied itself of air somehow, there is no way to fill it back up with air without surgery. Then of course the same goes for the opposite - if it has filled up with water, there is no way to get the water out without surgery.

I still wish there was a vet you could talk to on the phone and get some ideas from.

I know you are worried about Sash right now, but you'll probably need more symptoms to figure it out. If he's acting normal otherwise, you probably won't be able to figure it out, but at least you know he was already treated when Jack was treated for possible infections/parasites.

The growth on Sash's scales is getting bigger. :(

He is a picture of health otherwise. Full robust body, very healthy glow on his scales with good sime coat, very good appetite, poops well, & very active. The growth is definitely a concern however. Anyone know what it is? :unsure:

Edited by Jack of Hearts

How fast is it growing? Is it still clear?

When I first noticed it a couple of month ago, it covered about 2 of his scales. Now it is covering about 4 of his scales. :(

It's not really clear. It is the same color as his wen. His scales are a lighter orange while the growth is a darker orange like the color of his wen. :unsure:

Guest ubik08

HI I've had a similar problem and found a thread on Goldfish connection. Theres a link on Koko site. A simple solution to bottom sitting may be to change the direction of any water current in the tank and turn the current down. This seems a sensible thing to try before adding any medications etc. It seems goldfish dont like strong currents. :yeah:

HI I've had a similar problem and found a thread on Goldfish connection. Theres a link on Koko site. A simple solution to bottom sitting may be to change the direction of any water current in the tank and turn the current down. This seems a sensible thing to try before adding any medications etc. It seems goldfish dont like strong currents. :yeah:

Thank you ubik08. I have tried everything to no avail. :(

How are your fish doing these days?

The growth on Sash is a little larger I think. He is a picture of health otherwise.

I think Jack took a little step back. :(

I found this thread last week. I was hoping to see a positive update on Jack, since your last post said he had taken a little step back.

My Shubunkin goldfish is going through something very similar. I also tried anti-bacterial treatment, anti-parasite food and anti-parasite treatment, and I also hand feed him. There is also similarities with our fish. My other Shubunkin (who is not sick by any means) will also go lie down next to her "buddy". She has tried to get him to play, pushed him to swim, etc.

I hope poor Jack has gotten better since your last post. It's so heart-wrenching to see a once super active fish just lay around so much.

Best of luck with Jack and also with Sash. I hope you have found out what is wrong with him, also.

I just found this thread and have read the whole thing. How is Jack doing now? I really hope he can overcome!!

-also, I'm curious to know more about the growth on sasha. How long has it been since you first noticed it? I have a similar type thing with my fish. I have a ryukin/fantail mix who started to get this bump directly on the top of his head...it started out the same color as his flesh, but over time it turned black and grew to the size of about a pencil eraser....now, some of the black is going out of it and it is becoming flesh colored again....he has had this thing for over 2 years now, but it isn't effecting his health or behavior at all.

On the other hand, I have a shubunkin who developed a really nasty tumor on his side...it started out the same way, but it grew rapidly, and it is gross....i can't even describe it other than gross and tumorish. haha.....so....I am kinda curious to see if your fish has something similar to either of mine. For your (and your fishie's) sake, i hope it is really nothing!!

I also want to say that i think you are doing a great job taking care of your little guys! Keep up your determination, and keep us posted on how your little guys are doing!!!

I found this thread last week. I was hoping to see a positive update on Jack, since your last post said he had taken a little step back.

My Shubunkin goldfish is going through something very similar. I also tried anti-bacterial treatment, anti-parasite food and anti-parasite treatment, and I also hand feed him. There is also similarities with our fish. My other Shubunkin (who is not sick by any means) will also go lie down next to her "buddy". She has tried to get him to play, pushed him to swim, etc.

I hope poor Jack has gotten better since your last post. It's so heart-wrenching to see a once super active fish just lay around so much.

Best of luck with Jack and also with Sash. I hope you have found out what is wrong with him, also.

Thank you so much Fishy Fish. Jack is still the same. I suppose at this point, I don't think he is ever going to be normal again. :(

It's so nice that your fish is nice to her sick buddy too. :) My friend had one goldfish that would attack any goldfish that got sick in the tank...