Ryukin Sitting At The Bottom Of The Tank

Just want to wish you good luck, and I hope he gets better soon. It's so sad to see them sitting there, not enjoying life like we think they should. My Oscar is still bottom sitting, but less and less each day. Hoping he eventually gives it up. I'm sure your's will too! :)

Thank you so much Lolafish! I hope both our fishes gets better soon. :)

The funny thing is quite often when I look in the tank, Sash(the healthy fish) is right on top of him. Not actually touching him but floating just a smidgen above him as to protect him or something. I think Jack likes it because on many occasion when Sash moves away, Jack limps along on the gravel so he can be nest to him. I'm glad they get along even in sickness. My friend's fishes always attacked their tankmate that got sick, killing them. :(

Edited by Jack of Hearts

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice for sick fish to have company- sometimes it isn't possible (if you have to isolate them...)

Did you get the medicated food yet? That has to help.

Did you get the medicated food yet? That has to help.

No not yet. Hopefully it will be there when I go home from work today. I bought some carbon-less filters to use during the antibac-bath treatment. The tank is now salted to .3% also.

The only time Jack eats is if the food falls almost directly into his mouth. If it falls very very close to his mouth and he really doesn't have to move, he will grab it and eat it. He will not eat otherwise if the food falls on the gravel. Should I manually feed him when I get the fresh Medi-gold? If so, what is the best way?

Edited by Jack of Hearts

The only time Jack eats is if the food falls almost directly into his mouth. If it falls very very close to his mouth and he really doesn't have to move, he will grab it and eat it. He will not eat otherwise if the food falls on the gravel. Should I manually feed him when I get the fresh Medi-gold? If so, what is the best way?

When Oscar was in the hospital tank recovering from HITH, for the first week of Metro-Med treatment, I took him out of the tank, put him into a small mixing bowl, and hand fed him twice a day. By the second week, I could drop the food into the hospital tank, and he would snatch it right up. I always soaked the pellets first though, to make it easier on him.

That is just what worked for me. I knew exactly what and how much he was eating, so it worked out great.

Edited by Lolafish

When Oscar was in the hospital tank recovering from HITH, for the first week of Metro-Med treatment, I took him out of the tank, put him into a small mixing bowl, and hand fed him twice a day. By the second week, I could drop the food into the hospital tank, and he would snatch it right up. I always soaked the pellets first though, to make it easier on him.

That is just what worked for me. I knew exactly what and how much he was eating, so it worked out great.

So you took him out of the tank and into the mixing bowl every time you fed him? Sounds like a pretty good idea actually. Did Oscar get stressed from being scooped up 4 times a day or did he take it well?

Edited by Jack of Hearts

So you took him out of the tank and into the mixing bowl every time you fed him? Sounds like a pretty good idea actually. Did Oscar get stressed from being scooped up 4 times a day or did he take it well?

He's actually very friendly, so he didn't mind the attention. I think he misses it now. :rofl When they're not feeling well, I'd like to think that they know we're just trying to get them better. Now that Oscar is back in the main tank, when he sees me in the room, he immediately comes to the front to beg for food. I noticed today that his bottom sitting may have even stopped! The first day I took him out of the hospital tank and into the main tank, he refused to eat. I think he was mad at me. But now he really looks like he's making a full recovery from his illness. His little attitude is back, and he is fitting right in with everybody now.

I honestly think you should give it a try if he's not eating unless the food is directly in front of him. He needs to build up his energy, and the more he eats, the better.

I honestly think you should give it a try if he's not eating unless the food is directly in front of him. He needs to build up his energy, and the more he eats, the better.

He seems to have a little more energy now. Maybe the .3% salting is working. :)

He shifts around on the gravel a little bit more and he actually picked up a food off the gravel so that's a good sign as before he only ate when I dropped the food into the water and made a bull's eye into his mouth.

I just got the Antibac-bath and the fresh Medi-gold in the mail today! Yipee! :bounce

Since the Medi-gold is for Jack, if he looks like he is not getting enough to eat, I will use your method.

One good thing is that Sash is pretty clueless so if I drop all the food right by Jack, Jack has a good chance of getting his share. :D

I will start the Antibac bath tonight.

I finished the cycle of the Antibac-bath. :bath

I did the whole tank because it's a good chance Sash might be infected too. Rick from Goldfish Connection said it was safe for healthy fishes.

The stuff turns the entire tank a shade of flurescent green. :blink:

Anyway, Jack seems to be moving around on the bottom of the tank somewhat more, so that's a good sign. They are on their 3rd day of Medi-gold and I will keep that up. I will also gradually raise the salt back up to .3%.

I hope Jack gets better soon. :)

Edited by Jack of Hearts

Anyway, Jack seems to be moving around on the bottom of the tank somewhat more, so that's a good sign. They are on their 3rd day of Medi-gold and I will keep that up. I will also gradually raise the salt back up to .3%.

I hope Jack gets better soon. :)

Cool! My Oscar took exactly 2 and a half weeks to have a full recovery from his illness, and the medicated food treatment was 2 weeks of that. To look at Oscar now, you never would have known how sick he was, with the exception that his wen is much smaller than it was.

I hope Jack continues to get better! Everything you say sounds good to me. Any imrovement is a good sign. Don't give up on him. :)

Cool! My Oscar took exactly 2 and a half weeks to have a full recovery from his illness, and the medicated food treatment was 2 weeks of that. To look at Oscar now, you never would have known how sick he was, with the exception that his wen is much smaller than it was.

I hope Jack continues to get better! Everything you say sounds good to me. Any imrovement is a good sign. Don't give up on him. :)

Thank you Lolafish! :)

Other than the fact that he is still limping around on the gravel, he actually does not look sick anymore. He has a much healthier look about him.

Why did Oscar's wen get much smaller?

He contracted HITH (Hole in the Head) during his 2 week quarantine. He had a beautiful large wen, that fell completely off!! It was really scary at first.

I think you'll find Jack feeling a lot better when he's been on his medicated food for a while. Please keep us updated!

He contracted HITH (Hole in the Head) during his 2 week quarantine. He had a beautiful large wen, that fell completely off!! It was really scary at first.

I think you'll find Jack feeling a lot better when he's been on his medicated food for a while. Please keep us updated!

That must've given you a big scare!

Did you use Metro-med? I used Metro-med to cure Sash at the early stage of dropsy and I noticed the jar said that it cures HITH also.

Jack will eat the medigold when I drop it into his mouth. Hopefully he will get better soon. He's not getting worse since the Antibac-bath treatment.

Thank you so much for your kindness Lola! :)

just dropping in i hope little jack gets better soon. i think the idea of feeding a sick fish in a mixing bow is a great idea :exactly but i would be afraid that the fish would just freak out from getting taken out of the tank so many times a day. :exactly

just dropping in i hope little jack gets better soon. i think the idea of feeding a sick fish in a mixing bow is a great idea :exactly but i would be afraid that the fish would just freak out from getting taken out of the tank so many times a day. :exactly

Thanks rock4life!

I've been aiming and dropping the food so it falls into Jack's mouth. So far seems to be working. :D

Well, Oscar is only a couple inches long, and while he was sick, he would pretty much welcome any contact - especially when he was able to associate it with food. :D:bingo: Now Lola's another story...she would never have anything to do with that....she's way too frisky.

I've been aiming and dropping the food so it falls into Jack's mouth. So far seems to be working. :D

Awesome! I'm so happy he's eating. I fed the Metro-Med myself, and for the two week treatment, kept thinking he must be getting so tired of the same food every day. Do you have any pics of Jack?

Awesome! I'm so happy he's eating. I fed the Metro-Med myself, and for the two week treatment, kept thinking he must be getting so tired of the same food every day. Do you have any pics of Jack?

I think the Medi-gold must tastes as good as the regular Pro-gold judging by the goldies' reaction to it. Metro-med....not so good. :D

Yes I have pics of Jack & Sash. How do I post it? I have a Photobucket account. What do I do after I upload it onto photobucket? :hummm

It has been about a week later since the antibac-bath and the medigold and Jack does look better but he is still sick. He spends most of his time sitting and he does not have enough control to invert himself to eat food off the gravel. He will only eat when I drop the food into his mouth.

This is how he looks now..... :(

You can see his belly is compressed and flattened. Compare that to the photo above when he was healthy. He is shaped like a :heart on its side with a very rounded bottom.

2005_08282007_0602001.jpg

Edited by Jack of Hearts

Sash knows his buddy is sick and will hang with him on occasion almost looking like he is protecting him.

He will put his chin on top of Jack but never actually touching him and gently stay there.

2005_08282007_0602004.jpg

Sash turns around to look around to make sure nobody will harm Jack.....even though they are the only two in the tank. :D

2005_08282007_0602003.jpg

Sash guarding Jack....

2005_08282007_0602005.jpg

Poor Jack. :( You don't think it's a swim bladder issue, do you? Have you tried all those remedies yet? The fasting for a few days, and then nothing but peas for a few days?

Sash is beautiful, and it's very nice for him to be so close to Jack. I'm sure Jack appreciates that.

Thanks for posting the pics! They came out so well!!

Thank you Lolafish!

I am going to go the full 30 days with the Medigold and see how it goes. I may have to take Jack out during feeding as he is not getting his share and Sash is just getting bigger and bigger. Jack used to be bigger than Sash but Sash is now 1 & 1/2 times his size.

I have had them for 3 & 1/2 years now. I think they were 6 month old when I got them. Jack was always the big strong one and Sash was so frail and wimpy looking. Sash has really changed looks wise. He is a very impressive looking fish with amazing fins. His has a huge dorsal fin, his pelvic(ventral) fins are incredibly long, and the tail fins have long silky veils. When he was younger, he was really cute, like a cartoon fish.

Here is a pic of Sash when he was a "kid". He almost looked cartoonish with his cute face and his incredibly large fins for his little scrawny body, especially the dorsal fin. Sorry for the poor quality, it was taken on a cell phone. If you look to the left of his dorsal fin, you can see baby Jack in the background. :)

Picture006.jpg

Here is Jack when he was a little "kid". he hasn't changed much, except for few minor color changes.

Picture008.jpg

Here is the two of them a couple of years ago. Jack has a black(opaque) lens on his right eye. He's a one eyed Jack. His body is shaped like a :heart on it's side, and he used to have a pencil thin mustache. Hence the name Jack of Hearts. :D

If you look closely, you can see how incredibly long Sash's ventral fins are. It is as long as his entire body.

2005_0825Image0048.jpg

They are both full of personality and they really love each other and are always playing with each other. They do a lot of "synchroized" swimming routine which has to be seen to be believed. :clapping:

2005_08282005_1106032.jpg

2005_08282005_1106033.jpg

2005_08282005_1106040.jpg

Jack was so "athletic" that it saddens me to see him to the point he can't even invert himself to pick up food off the gravel. :(

Every so often, he will try to swim up but will get about 6 inches off the ground and then just fall. :(

I hope he gets well soon.

I apoligize to the mods for such a long post in a "sick" thread. It made me feel better thinking of the days when he was well. I'll end it with a shot of Jack yodelling in his happier days. :D

2005_08282005_1120011.jpg

Edited by Jack of Hearts

Would epsom salt help Jack's problems? I still have a box from about a year and a half ago that I bought and used partially when Sash had dropsy. Is it still good? Also, what about the aquarium salt that I already have in there?

If it's been a couple of weeks and you're not seeing a marked improvement in Jack's mobility, I would definately consider other methods...but I can't recommend anything other than what I've used. If it were me though, I'd get a hold of an injectible antibiotic, as that seemed to really jumpstart Oscar's improvement. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go through the same trouble to get the antibiotic.