Soaking Pellets

Lyndra

I am soaking my pellets in tank water, but I got to thinking that is there something better to use to add more nutrition and variety? Can you soak them in say, Apple juice or orange juice? Wouldn't that add more vitamins and additional nutrients? Just a thought. Or silly? :yeah:

Not silly. I remember this Q being asked here before but I can't remember the verdict on it. NEway I wouldn't do it, even if the juice was sterile and sugarless, because I would be wary of putting anything acidic in the tank on a regular basis that might interfere with pH balance.

I think if you're using a high quality staple pellet anyway and are varying your fishes diet in the usual ways (live/frozen/freeze dried foods, algea wafers, fresh veggies etc) then their nutritional requiremnets are being met anyway. It's probably not necessary in my opinion, although a good question Lyndra. Does anyone do this already? :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

I wouldn't soak it in things like apple juice, there's not much in the way of nutrients and waaay too much sugar for your goldies, -if you want to add a vitamin punch, especially for some goldies who aren't thriving, you can soak the pellets in dissolvable vitamin (like the effervecent type for humans), -just make up a glass for yourself, like on a saturday/sunday morning when you're recovering from the night before and pour a little bit of your glass onto the pellets! -I wouldn't recommend doing this every day, but once a week/every second week is quite good for them. -My lfs goldfish guru gave me this tip, (-he really spoils the goldfish in the shop, everytime I go there he's preparing something different for them to eat!) I have noticed that my fish seem to respond well to it too. :D

if you want to add a vitamin punch, especially for some goldies who aren't thriving, you can soak the pellets in dissolvable vitamin (like the effervecent type for humans), -just make up a glass for yourself, like on a saturday/sunday morning when you're recovering from the night before and pour a little bit of your glass onto the pellets!

Oh that's an interesting idea, I hadn't heard of that before. Thanks! I might give that a go next time I have a poorly fish :exactly

Just remember that anything you soak them in is also going to wash out of them almost as fast as it went in.... so unless your fish eat the pellets the moment you put them in, they will not be getting the benefits of whatever you soak into them.

My fish like to play with their food - kicking it about the tank and shaking it like puppies. It would not be worth much to attempt to soak something into it. I put the vitamins and such into the gel food, instead.

:)

Sorry to just post here but what do you do w/antibacterial food that float? I've been giving my fish junglelabs antibacterial food b/c i am still waiting for my order of metromed and medigold and i am worried about my goldie having to wait for treatment. Do you drop it in the tank, presoak?

karla

I don't actually soak my pellets at all. In tank water or anything else.

Just thought id mention though that Sera have a product called Fishtamin. Liquid vitamins that you add to their food. I cant find any info on specifically what it contains other than '13 vitamins'

:) I always soak my pellets, but in plain old tank water. I figured with a good quality pellet I did not need to add anything else to it.

Will soaking in tank water put ammonia in your food?

No, because in a cycled tank there shouldn't be any ammonia present in the water anyway (other than trace amounts maybe). In any case, once you've pre-soaked the food you're putting it back into the tank water again anyway when you feed the fish. If you had high levels of ammonia present in the tank water I'd be more concerened about the fish swimming in it in the first place.

The main purpose of pre-soaking in tank water as opposed to tap water is the presence of chlorine/chloramines in tap water, which as we know is harmful to fish. If you feel more comfortable using spring water to pre-soak food I guess that's fine, although tank water does the job :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

I do not feed floating food. I do not presoak any food. I do wet small food for fry - such that it will sink and not float on the surface for any time - but I use slow sinking food - and only use the wetting to break the surface tension.

(Ammendment: I DO have one variety of food that is a floating koi pellet that I really like. That is soaked - in regular RO water, and squeezed so that it is a "sinking food". I do not feed this very often - and usually use the food in gel)

Any food that I have that is "floating" is incorporated into a gel food - so the fish can get the food, but not the air from it. The food is put in the hot pot of water with the blanched vegetables so that it soaks up the water and loses its air. This, too, could leach out any medications from the food. But if you were to use a minimum of water for the food - and use all the water from the soaking in the gel food, any meds that were removed would still be incorporated into the gel....

If you are in need of a medicated food and all you have is a floating food, then go for it. If the problem you are treating is not one that involves floating - then all the better. Goldfish Connection usually can fire you out a container of Medigold/Metromeds soooooo fast that you will have it long before you finish the full round of the other food you are obligated to do once you begin. They are not the same antibiotics - so you must finish the full round of the Jungle Foods before beginning the other - or risk creating resistant nasties.

I use "sinking" pellets because they have less compacted air and soften quicker, even so, I do pre-soak them with a little tank water anyway to make them even softer. I guess I may be lossing a little of the nutritional content this way, but it seems to work OK. I'm particularly careful about preventing swimbladder/constipation problems anyhow because most of my fish are Pearlscales. Everyone will have there own little routine for these things I guess :)

Thanks Daryl, Junglelabs treatment is 5 to 10 days and i'm still waiting for the metromed and medigold meds to arrive. What I've noticed about junglelabs med food is that some pellets float and some sink so i grab the feeding container, collect some aquarium water and put the pellets in the container. The ones that float i remove from the food container and the ones that sink i automatically feed to the fish to prevent a huge loss of essential medication. Some still float but by the time the fish notice, it has been a while and i try to remove them. :)

karla

Well the floating and sinking food may have different meds so I'd use all of it. I feed my fish without soaking the food sometimes and I've never had any problems. I remember when I was a noob I never ever soaked any foods and fed tropical fish food (I didn't know there were different foods) that was 3 years ago lol. I'm surprised I never had any problems though. I wouldn't worry about it now but I'd feed both just to finish the bacteria off since not completing antiobiotic treatments can result in strains of bacteria that are resistant to meds and it may make it so the meds won't be as effective or effective at all next time.

Great advice from everyone. Also as someone mentioned if the pellets are good quality or you feed gel food like daryl and many do, the fish shouldn't need the extra vits. Remember people, animals (and fish I presume)can only take a certain amount of vits at a time- the excess is expelled in poop.