Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Nitrite At 5.0

cheeky's 30 gallon has started to cycle finally. i tested the water today and got a nitrite reading of 5.0 and nitrate 3.0 i did a 50% change how often should i do and how much water changes until i can get that nitrite down to 0? cheeky is in the tank and seems to be doing well. i thought the tank was cycled already but i guess its not? the tank was set up with some cycled water and bio media that was seasoned. its been up for about 3 weeks. all my other tanks read 0 nitrite, 0.5 nitrate there all doing well. :)

That number cannot be right - Cheeky would not be alive! Are your test kits still good? If that's right, you have to do get that number down as soon as possible - probably several large water changes one after another.

What are your params now? :blink:

the test kit is new and i tested it on my other tanks and the reading on them was normal. ill recheck now that i did a 50%change.. its reading 3.0 now. this is a master kit by mardel the nitrite level goes to 10.0 being the highest. my nitrate is reading 20 which is good. both have gone down since the water change.

Edited by jewels

Then I would change another 65% to make it 1.0.

all these water changes will it mess up the cycle? its a bare bottom tank :)

Your fish is more important than your cycle. I agree with Fred, I would do another water change, a large one. Anything above 0.25 can be damaging to your fish, so 3 is very very high.

Your fish is more important than your cycle. I agree with Fred, I would do another water change, a large one. Anything above 0.25 can be damaging to your fish, so 3 is very very high.

i will do the water changes but im alittle worried about the tank going through another cycle and the nitrites spiking up like that again :krazy:

ok done the water changes and im reading at a 0.5 nitrite :) i ended up moving cheeky into a well cycled tank until his does its thing. i also added some gravel from a heathly tank to cheeky's tank and covered the bottom with gravel so i can get some more bacteria to grow in there. now, how often to check water and when will it be safe to put cheeky back in?

Unless you're doing a fishless cycle, Cheeky's tank won't cycle now you've moved him out, so you'll likely have to go through the cycle again anyway when you put him back in.

Test NH and NO2 twice a day while cycling (morning and evening) and do water changes to keep NO2 from getting above 2 if you can. I'd also recommend adding aquarium salt to stop any NO2 damaging Cheeky's gills. Any NO2 levels at all during cycling may not seem to visibly harm him, but it may permanently damage his gills enough to affect his ability to uptake oxygen and stunt his future growth.

You can use a de-nitriter like Prime to chemically detoxify NO2, but it only works as long as the Prime is in the water, which isn't long after you add it. Salt doesn't chemically detoxify the NO2, but it does render it harmless on the fish's gills, and stays in the water permanently so it's always working as insurance in case there's a NO2 spike overnight for instance.

Unless you're doing a fishless cycle, Cheeky's tank won't cycle now you've moved him out, so you'll likely have to go through the cycle again anyway when you put him back in.

I agree 100%. The tank has to have a source of ammonia (i.e. fish waste) to finish the cycle.

Edited by Kimma

ok did my last water change got the nitrites to 0 and i added a heathly common to tank. cheeky will go back in after i see that i wont have anymore spikes. i still have some ammonia in tank though even after the water changes but not alot is that normal? i dont over feed and i did a vac wash. i did what fred said and did a big water change. :)

When I cycled my 55 g tank, I changed 50% everyday. :( Sometime I did 50% in the morning b4 I went out in the morning and another 50% by evening. Luckily I use python, otherwise :(

i have added some bacteria to my tank and will continue for 2 weeks. whay didnt i think of this before? :blink: the bacteria is good stuff and it will help to make a bacteria bed in tank. i went out last night at midnight to wolly world and got some gravel. i also put in a pound of seasoned gravel from well cycled tank into the 30gallon. with me adding the bacteria and gravel i hope to get some good bacteria to eat away any unwelcomed nitrites! :exactly