Fry Update!

GoinNuts

My babies will be 3 months old tomorrow. I can't believe it. They are still doing great and growing like weeds. I still have the two tinies and they are growing slowly, but seem to be active and healthy despite their itty bitty size.

I do have quite a few 'imperfections' - crimped or deformed tails and some flared gills, but I don't care! I think they're fabulous, faults and all. :heart

They're personalities are really starting to emerge and develop now, too. I have my bold ones, my shy ones, my speedy/spastic ones and the ones that just mosey along. They all get very curious when I have my hand in the tank on cleaning day and it's the cutest thing when they all gather around my gloved arm to check it out. :D

Oh, and they LOVE brocolli, lol. My biggest fry, Freckles, attacks it and shakes it like a dog with a toy, just like Goldie did. And yes, I have risked The Curse and given a few of them names. So far, so good!

Now, on with the pictures. Dial-up beware!

Love the color/markings on this one. I also can see the daddy's Ryukin influence pretty well, too:

Fry_5_11A.jpg

This is Spangles. She/he has a curly thing going on with the tips of her caudal fins:

Fry_5_11B.jpg

Black lipstick!

Fry_5_9_07C.jpg

This is Tangie (short for tangerine):

Fry_5_9_07F.jpg

This is my big guy, Freckles:

Fry_5_9_07H.jpg

And here is why his name is Freckles, lol. Can you see them?

Fry_5_11E.jpg

I like the color on this one, too. It's very pale, almost like peach-colored:

Fry_5_9_07G.jpg

One my greenies:

Fry_5_9_07I.jpg

Oops, it appears I have reached my max on images. I have 3 more I'll post in a second. Thanks for letting me share!

Lisa

Another view of Tangie:

Fry_5_9_07J.jpg

Group shot. You can kind of see how Freckles is a tetch larger than his siblings:

Fry_5_9_07A.jpg

Tank shot. If you look in the very upper left corner, right above the suction cup on the bubble wand, you'll see my tiniest one. He's just a speck, you'll probably have to squint to see him, lol!

Fry_5_11D.jpg

Thanks again for looking and letting me get all puffy about my babies!

Lisa

Thanks, Kat! I tell you, if I only had the room I would LOVE to raise more fry. It was hard work and there was a lot of heartbreak when I'd lose one, but it has been soooooo worth it! Simply amazing to watch these guys go from specks to fish, lol.

Lisa

:) Hey Lisa ,the fry are looking great.It always amazes me at just how many turn out to be so different looking from each other.Good job. :D

It always amazes me at just how many turn out to be so different looking from each other.

Isn't it? Having known less than zero about GF genetics, I was totally shocked to get this assortment of calicos and greenies out of a Black Moor and blue/gold Ryukin. It's been a nice suprise! :exactly

I'm still unsure about the eyes, though. If any of them were to be telescopes, it would be obvious by now, wouldn't it? Sometimes, it looks like a few have eyes that are a tiny bit more protruding than the others, but not enough to make the call for sure.

Anyone know how/when to determine if the telescope eye is present or not in fry?

Lisa

Hey Lisa,about the eyes,I'm not sure,we'll have to ask JenW.I know with her one group of fry,there was an obvious looking tele early on,but then after quite a while,2 more started getting the tele eyes,I just don't remember the exact time frame. :krazy: Too many fry stories! :rofl

:thud Lisa I am so impressed! They are just beautiful. You have done so very well with them. I know how hard it is I really do! i didn't know you had raised so many. How many are there now and how many hatched? I'd like to know your die off ratio.

3 months is a wonderful milestone. Congratulations. It's at this age that many fry are sold here in Japan. They are stronger and have passed through the worst fragile times. Not out of the woods in terms of all that can still come along but definitely a huge achievement for each of these little fighters and you too!

Thankyou for sharing these and very, very good job! :clapping::kewlpics:

Oh, your babies are growing up so cute! This is so exciting! I love thier names too, I have a Tangerine also in my pond.

Your pics are great, how big are they in size?

I don't see any imperfections, thier beautiful

Thanks, everyone! Imo, I had no idea this is the average that they get sold in Japan. That's very interesting. Now I really DO feel like I've reached a milestone! :exactly

How many are there now and how many hatched? I'd like to know your die off ratio.

I started out without about 80 and I now have 14. If not for a traumatic siphoning accident a few weeks ago, I would have 15. :(

how big are they in size?

My biggest one, Freckles, is almost 2 1/2" in length, including tail. The rest range from between 1 1/2" to 2" and my tinies are barely 1/2".

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

I am soooo sorry. That is always so sad. He may have simply finally reached the maturity that his genetics would allow - and could go no further. Or, sad to say, he may have finally been "teeny" enough and the others "big" enough that he because a snack.....

:(

What a beautiful assortment of colors you got there, Lisa! :thumb: So sorry about the little guy though - like Daryl said, the tiny ones are often the first ones to go due to their fragile nature. Kind of like the runt in a litter of puppies. There will always be a sickly one - just be proud of yourself that you go thim this far. :heart

Oh, I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your tiny fry! You have done such a great job with them. I'm sure the loss was something that could not be prevented.

• 5 weeks later...