Rip On Tail

:o , I went to check on Casper and there's this reddish, purple-lish bloody spot on his tail. After closer inspection, I discovered this big rip on his tail. It looks like someone grabbed scissors and cut a peice of his tail like paper.No one did of course but that's what it looks like. If you look at your fish swimming and you see the tail go by, the side view of the tail, the rip is located at the top of the side of the tail, if that makes any sense. He hasn't been very active today, which is why i decided to check out this red spot. Yesterday i introduced a new goldfish to his tank and he kind of got scared and swam very quickly to his corner. Could he have injured himself? What should i do? I know the new fish didn't hurt him, the rip is too far up on his tail for any fish to get at and the new fish is a bit smaller

His tank is in ok conditions:

ph 7.0

ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10

55 gallon, with a 300 and 250 penguin biowheel power filters and a fluval 205 canister filter. Filtering 730gph

water changes every 2 weeks, between 50% and 70%

I'm really worried that he's in pain. He did eat. Should i put any treatment in the tank? Will his tail heal?

thanks,

karla

Hi there. :)

Is the rip running horizontally in between the rays of his fin, or is the rip running vertically through the rays of the fin?

Have you seen any rapid fin shaking? Scratching on gravel ornaments or glass? Mouth chattering or the equivalent to coughing while scooting backwards?

Since it seems that you are providing excellent filtration and ample gallonage, I suspect that either your goldfish became stressed out and injured himself OR the new fish brought in some sort of pathogen. If the rip is vertical, then I might suspect that there is some sort of aggressive bacterial infection. If the rip is horizontal in between the rays, then I would be inclined to suspect that it's only a bit of mechanical damage. In that case, no medicating is needed. Just keep the water quality as good as you already are.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress....

Paul

hi, the rip is vertical. no swimming backwards, mouth chattering, etc. but i do not know if he was rubbing himself against the side of the tank or swimming since he only did a flipping movement against the corner of the tank where he likes to rest for a few seconds when he was startled. But he shows no other sign of a problem. He's not as active and he gets startled easily which makes him swim rapidly but I just assumed that he was stressed by his new tank mate since i put the new fish in his tank yesterday afternoon. Could bacteria attack that quickly? Can i just put salt in the tank for now until i get some anti bacterial meds? Even though the rip is vertical, does this have to mean he has a bacteria? i will try to post a pic soon.

thank you

karla

Well, parasites can propagate very quickly. Parasites carry loads of bacteria with them. Both are considered pathogens. However, this doesn't mean that is what your seeing....

I'm still leaning towards mechanical injury at this point.

Try feeding some food or treats and see if Casper still has an appetite. An appetite is perhaps the best sign to see.

Any chance of some pics or at least a paint document with a rendering of the tail and rip?

PAul

hi, been out all day, therefore did not have time to take a picture. :( Well, when i arrived home this evening i found that the piece of tail that was ripped had fallen completely off, however i was told by his sitter that he did eat. i will try to take a pic tomorrow and i'll continue to monitor his behavior. should i leave him alone to heal or do anything for him? Thanks for all your help Paul. :)

karla

Hi, my fishie ripped his tail too recently, but by my fishie it was because of the filter, he's missing quite a bit. Could your fish have gottne his tail sucked into the filter intake tube?

hi, i'm not too sure what happened but today he's a bit more active now that the piece has fallen off. I do not think the filter had anything to do w/it though b/c from where it was ripped it seems almost impossible. plus his tail is too big to fit the intake tube.

Good luck w/your fishie and I hope he gets better soon :) .

karla

If my ethological intuition serves me correctly, I think he was frightened of the way the ripped piece felt dangling from his fin. It probably felt funny flapping around back there. He must have thought he had a hitchhiker or something. Poor guy.... :rolleyes: