Fins On Ranchu Disappearing

I got these fish from Dandy Orandas back in January and Ken is very sure they were clean when they arrived. The tank is a 100 gallon and was sterilized and set back up for these fish, who cycled it.

They are and have been the only two inhabitants in it. No ammonia or nitrite, nitrate under 20 ppm. pH is steady at about 7.8 or so. The tank is filtered by two Penguin 330s and a Rena XP3 which was recently taken apart and cleaned.

Puppy, the large ranchu, has had eroding fins for a few months now. It's not like finrot where they disappear overnight. The pearlscale has not bothered him at all. His tail as well as ventral and pectoral fins are very damaged. It has been suggested that it may be a parasitic problem and I have ordered PP which will be here early next week.

I have done a couple peroxide dips but am curious to see if anyone else has any thoughts. I will include some pictures as well. Puppy is definitely not as active as he used to be.

Yeah, Jen, looks that way to me too. Is that just the angle of the picture?

They do look raised but I think they are just thick scales. I freaked out when I looked at him when he first arrived (because I've seen dropsy too many times). But he is a large fish with nacreous scales, and that is how they all look on top, almost spherical. His other scales are perfectly flat.

I also need to edit my post to read that my nitrates are actually 0, too. I keep a lot of algae growing in there and I think it immediately uses all phosphates and nitrates.

Hiya. :)

Do you have access to a scope?

Do you run a UV sterilizer?

With goldies that have pedigrees like theirs, a UV would be a smart investment. It would be guaranteed to greatly reduce the populations of the organism responsible. After you treat with PP, a good UV would be ideal. I sure hope the PP helps.

If you need any help with anything, lemme know....... ;)

Paul

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post an update on Puppy. I did the PP dip and his fins have been slowly coming back over the last month or so. He still isn't too active, but he isn't bottom sitting like before. His wen is very large and seems to be heavy, so I figured between the fin erosion and extra weight on his head, that could account for him always "tipping" in the water.

Do his fins look okay, like normal healing? Do I need to dip again? I don't have a sterilizer. I am not planning on adding any new fish anytime soon so I haven't been in too much of a hurry to get it.

100_5256.jpg

Look at that pudger! :D

It looks to me like his tail fin is growing back nicely. I don't remember a "before" pic but I can plainly see that theres new growth as evident from the fine smoothness of the edge. The scalloped look shows that the rot didn't progress far enough to affect the growth of the fine rays. If his tail is any indication of how his other fins are doing then I would say you were quite successful at fending off infection long enough for him to regain control. ;)

PP is quite remarkable stuff. If used properly, it's probably THE most widely applicable chemical for treating sick goldfish other than salt. Even that's debatable.....

Paul

:) Hey Jen,just saw this,and lemme tell you that puppy is the cutest!!! :heart

How's he doing now? From what I could see,the fins look a lot better. :)

Thanks!! I had wanted a ranchu for so long and couldn't resist his puppy face.

He seems to be doing worse now. :( His tail is eroding again and he has been flashing pretty badly. I am going to re-bathe him tomorrow.

Can you guys tell me, how long is a stock solution of PP good?

Here are pics from tonight:

100_5364.jpg

100_5361.jpg