Baby Green Spinach Okay For Goldfish?

Hello ^^

I just got a small ryukin [Callisto] and i've been feeding her TetraFin goldfish flakes (soaked first of coarse)

----->

but i heard that it's good to get some greens into my aquatic friend's diet-> i was going to feed her a pea or two but alas....i don't have any v.v

so thennnn i heard that romain lettus (?) is good....but i wasn't sure..

sooooo.

can anyone tell me if baby spinach and/or romain lettus is good for my lovely fishie?

Edited by Callie

Raw spinach or romaine lettuce would be excellent for your goldie. If you have wild dandelion leaves in your yard, those are good as long as there have not been any lawn chemicals used on them. You would want to be sure to rinse it well before feeding. If you zap it in the microwave for a few seconds, it will soften it and make it easier to eat.

I feed my goldies veggies once a week. I will usually skip their morning meal and feed just the veggies for their evening meal.

If you decide to feed frozen veggies, which is perfectly acceptable, make sure they have no salt in the ingredients. Really most veggies are fine - some they like better and some not so much. It's just like us, we all have our own likes and dislikes. Try some different things and see what your fish likes. Mine love peas and cucumber, not so crazy about zuchinni or leafy lettuces. They love lemons :) If your fish likes it (mine don't really), carrots are good for vibrant oranges and reds. You have to make them really soft.

Variety is good for your fish - let them try new things :)

I agree with the above but wanted to add one caution....

Dandylion leaves are, indeed, a wonderful treat - and the fish act like I have dropped candy in the tank when I feed them. BUT..... just rinsing a dandylion that has been "treated" in a lawn is not enough. Most weed preventatives or weed killers are systemic - made so that the plant absorbs the poison into its stems/leaves/flowers and then dies when it has too much. That means that the leaves of a dandylion you pick from a lawn may have incorporated poisons in it - ones that you cannot just wash off - they are inside the leaf - part of the plant.

Only feed dandylions (and other outside greens) that you know have not been sprayed or treated in any fashion. I have a small area in my garden, tucked behind the hydranga bush, where I have 3 extremely LARGE, healthy dandylion plants that I use for all the leaves I harvest. I put them, blanched, into the tank on a clip, or I blanch them and add them to my gel food, along with broccoli, spinach, peas, etc....

:)

=D

thanks you guys ^^

...although, callie didn't seem to enjoy the spinach- can't really blame her though.

Im thinking of trying some of the other suggestions [romain, carrots, zuchini, cucumber, dandilions...]

LOVE YOU GUYS =D

and thanks a bunch :D z

---->i'll keep you updated on Callisto's condition and see what she takes to