Question About My Elephant Ear Coral!

Guest Triple Skeet

Guest Triple Skeet

I have recently been doing 5 gallon water changes daily to my 95 gallon tank in order to lower the nitrate count. Well I recently got new salt. It seems this salt doesnt dissolve as fast as my last stuff.

Well now when I change the water my elephant ear coral inverts and the middle kind of comes out and looks like spaghetti. After a few hours it goes back to way it looked before but I have to know, is this salt hurting my coral? Should I wait longer to give it a better chance to dissolve? Or just change salt immediately? Is this a defense mechanism from the coral or is it not a big deal?

Help!!!!

What kind of salt are you using? Some brands don't dissolve as quickly as others and if there are still particles remaining, they can burn your corals and other inverts if they land on them.

The elephant ear sounds as if it senses food and is opening its mouths and sending out feeding tentacles. Our brains do it sometimes too.

Guest Triple Skeet

Did you find the source of your nitrates?

No. I cant seem to figure it out. Ive only been doing this daily water change thing for like a week now. Ive gotten about 50 gallons so far and the nitrate doesnt seem to be moving at all. I dont get it. At first I thought maybe I had nitrates in the water I was using to change it but I tested it and there is no nitrates in it. If these nitrates dont start to come down soon I dont know what I can do.

Do you have bio balls or bio bail in your filters, or sump (I don't know which you run)?

What do you feed and how often?

Anything die recently and you haven't seen them, maybe stuck behind a rock?

Edited by Tolbert

Guest Triple Skeet

Do you have bio balls or bio bail in your filters, or sump (I don't know which you run)?

What do you feed and how often?

Anything die recently and you haven't seen them, maybe stuck behind a rock?

Yes I have bio balls.

I feed them twice a day. Flakes in the morning and 3 frozen cubes in late afternoon. And they are always hungry. When I feed them at night its like a frenzy. Gotta realize I have 20 fish, 3 serpent starfish, 3 shrimp, 1 lobster, plus corals, snails a sea hare, a clam, crabs and hermit crabs.

The only thing that has died recently is my firefish but Im pretty sure hes gone by now. Especially with all of my crabs and hermits crabs.

I think I know your problem with the nitrates. We have found that in reef aquariums with lots of live rock (such as yours) that the bio balls actually become a nitrate factory. They make nitrates very quickly and they continue to make them until they are removed. They are really good for fish only systems where the nitrates don't matter. But reefs it makes to much, they get to much air and they don't make the anaerobic bacteria that help consume of the nitrate the way that your rock will. The bio balls are too efficient. I would suggest taking them out a little at a time. Take a handful out each week, if their is too much noise where the water hit you can put more live rock or a sponge to keep the sound down. The feeding sounds ok, a lot more than I feed but it is ok, you do have a lot more inhabitants. Good luck, the sooner the bio balls come out the better. ? can send a pic of my sump if you like, I don't run bio balls and my system has been running for 2.5 years.

JD

Edited by Tolbert

Guest Triple Skeet

First Im gonna try feeding them a little less. But I am gonna talk to my friend at my aquarium store about the bio balls and see what he says. Thanks alot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Triple Skeet

Its not the bio balls. Apparently I was feeding my fish too much and improperly. With the frozen food I would take the cubes, put them in warm water, stir them when they would break apart and dump it in the tank.

I didnt know.

Finally the girl at the store told me to feed them a little at a time so they eat most of the food instead of it sinking to the bottom.

I also was feeding them 2 large meals a day and now feed them 1-2 small meals each day.

Hopefully that combined with some big water changes will finally get my nitrates down.

Edited by Triple Skeet

Guest chris345

use the same salt u always use. switching salts is not always safe 4 ur fish. if u use different salt then wait like 2 weeks b4 puttin it in da tank. i reccomend instant ocean. or real ocean water. they sell the real ocean water at mmm.

Guest Triple Skeet

Ok apparently I was wrong. Even after all of that my nitrates were still high. So I took a sample of my water to the shop to be tested.

There the girl doing the test said they were actually good, only 5ppm, When I told her what my tests had said she informed me that the problem was probably that my test kit had expired and I needed a new one.

I have no idea whats going on but my corals do seem to look better now and my tank looks awesome. Ill post pics up as soon as I can.