Sign in to follow this  
arabpaso

I Now Have Orange Glofish

mmm has started carrying these two colors. First time I've seen the Sunburst orange in person--had to have some!! Now if only they'd get the lime green ones. :exactly I don't want to mail order them because of the expense.

Anyway, all the glofish at mmm looked really healthy so I got a few. Just took them out of qt yesterday and put them in with my pinkies. They are all schooling together very nicely and were even playing--all zipping around through the plants and the log cave I have in there.

Here's a link to some pix--scroll to bottom--they look yellow but are really more of a yellow-mandarin orange.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/arabpaso/alb...17b2scd&.src=ph

Guest pinktoefunk

- :heart em ... they are so pretty. I have seen them at the lfs, the ones there swim fast and almost at the surface. I've yet to see a green Glofish but bet they are sweet .... congrats -

Wow nice! I wish they were legal here in California but apparently genetically altered animals are illegal here. And for those who don't know, glofish aren't made from injecting die (which is very stressful for the fish) they're made by inserting a genome (or the hereditary genes of something) of things that have vivid colors like coral for red or jellyfish for green.

Very true, Brian. They're genetically modified Danios I believe, and if they breed, their offspring carry the gene too. They've banned them in the UK I think, or are working on it.

They need to establish laws pretty quickly to regulate this sort of stuff, or we'll be seeing glow-in-the-dark rabbits and purple mice for sale soon.

Guest myfourgoldies

I do not want to be rude or offend anyone so please do not take this question as anything beyond curiousity and personal opinion.

When they genetically modify a species, what is the long term effect of doing so? Do these fish have any additional effects other than the color change? Personally I don't think I would want to support this type of breeding and modification because once it starts with one species it certainly can spread and long term effects may be really undesirable. Like I said this is just my personal opinion and i am curious if any other effects have been noted in the species that have been altered.

Wow nice! I wish they were legal here in California but apparently genetically altered animals are illegal here. And for those who don't know, glofish aren't made from injecting die (which is very stressful for the fish) they're made by inserting a genome (or the hereditary genes of something) of things that have vivid colors like coral for red or jellyfish for green.

They are legal in CA, or at least I know you can find them. I've seen tattooed fish(the owner no longer sells them because I told her how they really get them to be pink polka dot) and glow fish before. If you want glow fish try mum and pop store. ;)

@myfourgoldies- I agree. If they want to genetically alter fish then they should at least test a few generations to make sure nothing bad comes out of the "enhancement". Seems like glowfish popped up on the market faster than they should have.

They are legal in CA, or at least I know you can find them. I've seen tattooed fish(the owner no longer sells them because I told her how they really get them to be pink polka dot) and glow fish before. If you want glow fish try mum and pop store. ;)

@myfourgoldies- I agree. If they want to genetically alter fish then they should at least test a few generations to make sure nothing bad comes out of the "enhancement". Seems like glowfish popped up on the market faster than they should have.

Actually, as of January 2007, possession, breeding, and selling of glofish is illegal in California. This is because there's a regulation that restricts all genetically modified fish. This was made before glofish because of increasing biotech salmon. The Fish and Game Commission declined to make glofish an exception purely from ethical grounds. They changed their mind later but they wanted the company that marketed glofish to perform an expensive and long study to which the company has declined so it's still illegal here. The first glofish was made in 1999. I got this info off wikipedia so go there if you want more lol.

I do not want to be rude or offend anyone so please do not take this question as anything beyond curiousity and personal opinion.

When they genetically modify a species, what is the long term effect of doing so? Do these fish have any additional effects other than the color change? Personally I don't think I would want to support this type of breeding and modification because once it starts with one species it certainly can spread and long term effects may be really undesirable. Like I said this is just my personal opinion and i am curious if any other effects have been noted in the species that have been altered.

Let me assuage some of your fears then.

The genetic alteration performed to create the Glofish was done a very long time ago. it involved taking out the chromosomes of fertilized danio eggs (not actual fish), and manipulating them through costly and time-consuming enzymatic nano-biotechnological processes (read Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park to see a bigger explanation of the process of how they created the dinosaurs in the story)... in a nutshell, the biotechnologists knocked out one or two specific links in the chromosome strands and patched the gaps with the color-carrying genes from corals. Nothing else in the fish's overall metabolic and physiological makeup is affected.

As for the issue of passing on altered genes, that's where the concern of hurting the fish to produce more Glofish is refuted. All that is necessary to create another generation of Glofish is to breed two parent Glofish and their young will inherit the color gene, although if outcrossed repeatedly with normally colored danios, the gene will soon be bred out and the succeeding generations will lose the color trait. I don't know however if anyone has tried crossing two different color morphs of Glofish and what happens to resulting young.

As for passing on altered genes to other species through ingestion of Glofish by fish in the wild (should someone irresponsibly release them), that's a pretty absurd notion. You don't acquire the genes of whatever plant or animal you ate for food, digestion makes sure of that. But if you worry about hybridisation of Glofish with native fishes in the wild... well, that is an issue which is addressed by the fishkeeper's responsibility not to release non-native flora and fauna into the wild anyway.

Besides, Glofish stick out too much to be efficient competitors for survival in the wild anyway. A predator will be on it like white on rice. Pretty much the same case as with albino specimens of any creature.

Thanks for helping me out there Man Yu! Here's a pic of what I believe to be a cross between a red glofish and a non altered zebra danio. Mine are all hot pink and don't look like this at all.

Just for the record I can assure anyone from my own experience that these danio glofish do not act any differently than non altered danios. Mine are all very healthy, playful and active. Not to mention beautiful!! How else could I enjoy the colors of corals and jellyfish in a freshwater tank.

These fish weren't made specifically for the aquaruim trade by the way, but for research. Someone thought we might be interested in them however, so they are making them more widely available. Most U.S. states haven't outlawed them because they don't see any danger to native species--we have coldwater fish and danios are tropical so they wouldn't survive here in the wild for long.

post-10353-1178588816_thumb.jpg

Guest Oreo

mmm has started carrying these two colors. First time I've seen the Sunburst orange in person--had to have some!! Now if only they'd get the lime green ones. :exactly I don't want to mail order them because of the expense.

Anyway, all the glofish at mmm looked really healthy so I got a few. Just took them out of qt yesterday and put them in with my pinkies. They are all schooling together very nicely and were even playing--all zipping around through the plants and the log cave I have in there.

Here's a link to some pix--scroll to bottom--they look yellow but are really more of a yellow-mandarin orange.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/arabpaso/alb...17b2scd&.src=ph

Those are really cute glofish you got there, Kristi.

The yellowish-orange ones are gorgeous.

:exactly

Maybe I should snatch them while I have the chance. They get so many interesting fish and some animals which I'm fairly sure are illegal or require permits. I've seen snake heads, pikes and alligator gars which are all illegal. They order them so don't even ask me how fish and games just lets them pass right into the state.

OMG! :druel They had show quality fancy lionheads and ranchus. I almost bought both but I don't have the room right now. I asked them to order blacks and they said they should have them in 2 weeks. I love that pet store so much. :rofl

Maybe I should snatch them while I have the chance. They get so many interesting fish and some animals which I'm fairly sure are illegal or require permits. I've seen snake heads, pikes and alligator gars which are all illegal. They order them so don't even ask me how fish and games just lets them pass right into the state.

OMG! :druel They had show quality fancy lionheads and ranchus. I almost bought both but I don't have the room right now. I asked them to order blacks and they said they should have them in 2 weeks. I love that pet store so much. :rofl

Ahhhhhh....your city always has all the good fish stuff. ;)

They look great Kristi! -what you need now is a black light set up to see them really glow! :) -It'd look great to have a tank with the three colours available! orange, pink and green, all skitting about in a darkened environment. I was suggesting to someone else on the board that they should consider getting some of those guys as they do have a black-light tank, complete with fluoro gravel and plants! ;) How cool, I wanna set up a new tank now.. :(

Wow nice! I wish they were legal here in California but apparently genetically altered animals are illegal here.

I find that ironic, since Genentech is based in California, and they *clone* animals, both as experiments and for whoever has the money to buy one. My sister works there.

the ones behind the outlawing of Glofish were sorely misinformed alarmists anyway... They got the majority vote to ban the fish purely on the grounds that it was "cruel and unnatural", without any documentation to prove it was so.