Goldfish Eating Poo!

Guest pfargo

Guest pfargo

The topic description says it all. It is discusting, but one of my fish eats floating poo. I try to take it out when I see it, but sometimes he gets it before I do. Sometimes he spits it out and other times I don't see it again. YUCK! This is my first tank (10 days in).

Thanks!

They will only get sick if they eat poop from another fish that is already sick, -this is often a way that internal bacterial infections spread between fish in the same tank. However if all your fish are perfectly healthy, then eating poop shouldn't be a problem. -Floating poop often means that your fish is swallowing lots of air, -do you find your fish constantly gulping at the surface, or do you feed them floating food?

As long as we are not dealing with a bacterial problem, which is a probability considering you are new to fish and have newcomers in the tank, the most likely problem is overfeeding.

You are probably feeding way too much food which is passing undigested through the gut of the fish. Then you end up with a piece of floating poo that still contains nutrients...and hence, the fish are going to eat it. If you see floating feces that are pellet colored, stop feeding for one day, and then resume at half the normal feed rate.

Really not much difference from a dog that raids a cats litter box for a treat. Normally the food is so rich in protein it can not be assimilated properly and there is still some "GOOD" stuff left in it.

Cut back on the food and see if that helps with your floating problem.