Sign in to follow this  
Katalyst

3 New Cories...and They Are Total Punks!

So last night I was in my LFS and I was chatting with one of my favorite people who works in the fish room, really knowledgeable and has great interest in fishkeeping.

So last night I was looking at some Cherry & Blue shrimps and decided to grab a few, that's when it happened. They had Juli Cory's....I was instantly smitten and before I knew what I was doing three of the cute little buggers were in a bag in my hand. The LFS convinced me they'd be fine in one of my snail tanks. This morning I found my snails not very pleased with me and all huddled in a bunch, I felt so bad for them so I took the cories out and they are now upstairs in a 20 gallon with 6 shrimp and haustrums.

Did I react too soon taking them out of the tank? What I noticed about the cories is they constantly zip around and it seems to make a few of my snails nervous and some don't seem to care at all. But there are some that clam right up as soon as one of the cories touches them or zips by. My haustrums don't seem to bothered with them and I'd be scared to put them anywhere near my goldies. I'm glad I got only 3 then the 6 he origionally suggested allthough 2 seem to buddy up while the other swims behind the two as if to say Heyyyy waitttt uppp!

I'm bummed.....

Kat, I do not know much about corys, of any kind, but I know that snails can be spooked by certain fish. I have only been able to keep my snails in with Steven, my betta, or in their own tank with no other fish! I have tried them in my tropical tank and in with some of my goldfish, and neither worked.

I hope someone who knows will come along and help you out! Good Luck with them. Maybe once they are settled in you can go back and get the other three. :rofl

Kat, I do not know much about corys, of any kind, but I know that snails can be spooked by certain fish. I have only been able to keep my snails in with Steven, my betta, or in their own tank with no other fish! I have tried them in my tropical tank and in with some of my goldfish, and neither worked.

I hope someone who knows will come along and help you out! Good Luck with them. Maybe once they are settled in you can go back and get the other three. :rofl

Thanks Lorrie, I think I have it figured out. I got my snails from 2 different people one kept them with cories the other did not. I had them in the tank with the snails that were kept on their own. I just plunked them into the other snail tank and the snails don't seem to bothered. I guess we'll see...

! Good Luck with them. Maybe once they are settled in you can go back and get the other three. :rofl

:rofl I missed that sentence the first time I read this...You are too much! Man I'd be in trouble if I lived anywhere near you, we think too much alike! I had planned on keeping them hidden in the snail tank in the basement so this is not good lol. And was hoping to get 3 more today! :(

I have kept snails and cories together for years without problem. I think the snails will get used to the corys eventually, since cories don't bother snails (other than their activity). Some fish will eat snails and nip off their antennaes, but I have never seen a cory bother my snails in that way.

Cories are great little fish. They are so animated and they have been very hardy for me. My oldest cory lived to be 13 years old :)

I have kept snails and cories together for years without problem. I think the snails will get used to the corys eventually, since cories don't bother snails (other than their activity). Some fish will eat snails and nip off their antennaes, but I have never seen a cory bother my snails in that way.

Cories are great little fish. They are so animated and they have been very hardy for me. My oldest cory lived to be 13 years old :)

I'm hooked, they are the cutest things ever. I have 3 julies but I really think the one little guy needs a buddy so I'm going back to get 1 more julie and a few panda's. They seem fine at the moment and the snails don't seem to care at all. Of course out of all the snails its my Cana's who are having the fit in the other tank meanwhile they are the size of a baseball. Its probally me being a nervous nelly.

Touch of Sky what type of cories do you have? Any photo's...

This from the person who said she'd never have a tropical tank! Ha!

Guest im-trying

there could be a stress issue with it as snails and corries are both technicaly bottom dwellers it could be reaction to other creatures being in their teritory?

my fish usually react like that when anyone new is added so perhaps give it time and they will calm down and be friends. :D

When I first got my albino corys they zipped around the tank almost non stop for a couple of days. Then they sorta mellowed out after they had ben in every square centimeter of the tank. It could be that yours are just checking out their new home and they are happy.

Right now I am keeping bronze and peppered cories. They prefer cooler water than most cories, and can live in unheated, room temperature tanks quite nicely :)

I do have a few pictures. I believe I have a picture of my 13 year old cory taken shortly before he passed away. I will take a look for them :)

I've kept snails and cories together myself,and have never had any sort of problems either way.The snails are usally put off at first,but it doesn't seem to take much time at all for them to adjust. :)

Thanks guys for the reassurance...I love my snails and I wouldn't do anything to harm them. Devs I think I have a Chewy reincarnate from what I read about him or his long lost girlfriend. :rofl

But my corys are funny little fellows I have to come up with nicer names then Punk, Thug & Creetin though. :rofl