Not Exactly Goldfish

Guest angelsun

Guest angelsun

. . . but I wasn't sure where to put them.

Meet Getrude McFuzz and company. Although they look quite large in the photos, they only measure about 2" from nose to tail and are still somewhat transparent. I had set up three tanks in preparation for their arrival but decided to keep them together until they grow a bit.

They are very fascinating creatures but watching them eat is a little frightening. LOL

Axolotls

• 4 weeks later...

what size tank do they need?

what do they eat?

can you buy them in a petstore?

i think those things are sooo cool i have seen them alot but always in zoos and stuff.

you can buy these in pet stores my brother has one when they are little they do fine in a 10gallon tank but when they get fully grown they should be in a 20 - 40 gallon tank depending how big it is.

you can buy these in pet stores my brother has one when they are little they do fine in a 10gallon tank but when they get fully grown they should be in a 20 - 40 gallon tank depending how big it is. oh yeah and they eat axolotl pellets, goldfish, bloodworms, they eat heaps. if you go on holidays you can put guppies in the tank and they will eat them. the tank water has to be 19 degrees celsius ( 66 degrees fahrenheit ) and they are blind fish so they see with their nostrils and gills

Guest angelsun

For some reason, I'm not receiving replies. Apparently this topic was moved. Sorry to not find this and answer sooner.

I'd advise getting any animal directly from the breeder if at all possible. I have the link up to where I purchased Gertrude and Company here:

Gertrude's Page

It's of primary importance to acquire a healthy animal especially an exotic. All of the axolotls that I received were healthy and active albeit very small. They have thrived and I've never seen animal grow so fast in my life. Am I promoting this breeder? You bet I am!

There's a great deal of misinformation on the Internet about these creatures and their needs. For instance, feeding live fish to them is NOT a good idea. I'd advise reading this website for proper care and housing--

Axolotl.org

Guest angelsun

For some reason, I can't seem to edit my post. I wanted to add that the axolotls are NOT blind. Their sense of smell is more acute than their vision--but they can definitely see things moving (and pounce upon them).

:) They are really cool looking! I loved watching your little video of her swimming. They remind me of the creatures in the water in the last "Harry Potter" movie. And I thought they were cool looking.

Tell us what you mean about watching them eat. What is it they do? What makes it frightening?

Congrats on them, I think they will be a fun addition to your house of critters! :exactly

Guest angelsun

Tell us what you mean about watching them eat. What is it they do? What makes it frightening?

According the informational website that I posted above; they will eat anything that fits into their mouth. They will do the axolotl "pounce" even on their food pellets. Perhaps, it is something best seen--

Gertrude Eats

In the video, Gertrude was a little over 2" long. She's now around 4" and her body is no longer translucent.

Her eating habits haven't improved. I'm afraid that she missed Manners 101. :rofl

:) Well, that explains it!!!! :exactly I would hate to be at a buffet with a group of them. :rofl Thanks for showing the video. I still think they are adorable. :heart

no no no i did not mean they were blind i meant they don't have very good vision comapared to other fish

no no no i did not mean they were blind i meant they don't have very good vision comapared to other fish.

and you can feed them live fish but only little ones

Guest angelsun

They are axolotls. Lots of good information here:

Axolotl.org

It's not a good idea to feed them fish. If the fish are diseased--that can be passed along to the axolotl. Axolotl do not tolerate most medications well.

I think the faces are cute too. :) I would not want to be at a buffet with them either-eek! Probably they would think EVERYTHING including the plates was a menu item. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...