Has Anyone Used These Filters?

I've been eyeing these for awhile now but can't seem to find more than one review for one and none for the other. They seem to be some kind of mini hob canister filters lol. So........has anyone tried em? Heres the filters I'm talking about. http://cgi.ebay.com/HYDOR-BRAVO-300-Hang-O...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rena-Smart-Filter-55-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

Lol I hope these don't turn out like the tetratec filters.

I haven't seen these myself, but I'd feel skeptical of this tiny filter. Plus I wonder what the replacement filters cost?

But then I am a BIG Aquaclear cheerleader!!

But then I am a BIG Aquaclear cheerleader!!

LOL! You can say that again! (For good reason too lol) I did some research on the replacement filters and they're pretty pricey but I'd probably be able to make my own lol.

i have just got a new tank for my fishes which has come with a tetratec, are these bad ?

No idea, another AQ groupie here. :) But if it came with the tank chances are its not enough filtration for your goldies. How big is the tank? How many gallons per hour does it put out?

Edited by Katalyst

it is a 60 litre tank and the filter runs at 150 - 300 litres an hour. as i have just set up my new tank and transfered my little fantails in i still have my old rena filstar filter in the new tank doing the filtering work. have added prime to the new filter and run it a couple of hours each day to get the bacteria housed.

I think those two may be enough though i'm not too sure with litres. Tetratecs are ok but......I've heard they can clog fast and be really loud with the biological chamber filling and refilling with water and it may be hard to set the chamber to make it run reliably. I'd buy a penguin by marineland or aquaclear and replace the tetratec with it if the tetratec turns out too hard to maintain.

I saw the Rena Smart filter at the store and opened it up to have a look. I was not impressed by the design or the GPH for the price. The replacement cartridges looked a bit over priced and there seemed to be a poor use of media and space. There are huge spaces in each cartridge that could have media in it. I thought it looked neat but that was it.

I have seen the Rena at my LFS chain! I thought it to ba a bit pricey, and the GPH rating is not that great for the price. I was excited when I first saw them as I really like Rena products, but I was not impressed with this filter, at least with what I was able to tell from looking at it. I would love to hear from someone that has actually bought and used this one to see how it performs!