Sign in to follow this  
goldenlady

Brown Algae All Over The Airstone

My airstones are covered with brown algae, although they are still working. Is scrubbing them with a brush the only way to attempt to clean them?

:( Brown Algea, my nemesis! I hate it, but it loves my tanks. I just take my scrubber or sponge and run it over my airstones when I clean. It comes off quite easy, thats the only good thing I can say about it.

I just bury mine under the gravel. And tada!! No algae or ugly blue airstone :D

I try to bury mine under gravel, but if you have small enough gravel, it will seriously impede the air flow, and make the air bubbles all clump up ... which aesthetically, I just dont like.

Bubble wands for the win!

Anyway, I keep a small ultra-soft bristled children's toothbrush just for my aquariums at hand for cleaning things such as airstones, and corners. Usually works better than most

I'm not sure what type of airstones you have, but I have ceramic ones and when they got covered in algea, dirty or clogged up I soak them in a bleach solution, rinse, rinse, rinse, soak and dechlor them and then run air through them for a while before putting them back in the tank. That seems to work very well for me, but I don't think you can do that with all types of airstone materials - that's why I always buy the ceramic ones because they are so hard-wearing and last longer :)