Sign in to follow this  
Guest gainsb1

Goldfish With Measles?

Guest gainsb1

Hi. New member here.

I have a 6" goldfish that has been in a large tank with 3 other similar sized mates for a number of years. I change water, filter etc regulalrl and add general water treatment when doing so. No problems up until yesterday when this particular fish was seen to be sporting a coat of about 15 little red spots each side all over that appeared overnight. I had part-changed the water about 6 days earlier.

The spots look like human measles and are level surfaced apart from one of two on the head that look like zits. I can't find anything on the web that describes this.

I immediately started a 3 day treatment of eSHa 2000 (Fungus, finrot and bacteria treatment) wide range action and, today, the spots seem to have faded slightly and some have gone. The fish was staring at a bottom corner for the previous couple of days but still kept eating. It is still doing this but seems more lively.

The local shop asked me to bring it in for them to look at but I decided that this might stress the poor thing.

What was it all about?

Over to you guys....

Leigh

It sounds like a water condition problem to me. Firstly, I would do a large water change of about 50% and vacuum the gravel, if you have it.

Also, if you could answer as many of the questions at the top of the page as you can, it would go a long way to help us further diagnose what might be going on with your fish.

Guest gainsb1

Sorry. I've never tested for levels. Tank size 70 litres (14 Imp Gallons); Fluval 2 plus tankside filter; Water change about every 4-6 weeks (30%); JBL Bioptol water conditioner/dechlorinator; general fishfood floating pellets as per last couple of years.

I think what has happened is that over time your fish have outgrown their tank and your set up is having a hard time coping.

At 6" in size, you should have 10 US gallons per fish. If at all possible, you should upgrade to a larger tank.

For the time being, I would suggest doing increased water changes. I would suggest doing 50% water changes three times per week for a couple of weeks, then drop down to 50% water changes at least once per week. Vacuum the gravel once per week and rinse out your filter material weekly. You could also add another filter to the tank, such as a hang on the back type with sponge media.

You could add 1 tsp. of aquarium salt per gallon of water, as well. This will act as a tonic for your fish and aid in healing the spots. I think improved water quality will go a long way to improving your fish's health.

How does your fish look today?

Guest gainsb1

Thanks for the advice. The salt tonic sounds good to me. I've read about this elsewhere.

Today, the spots have almost gone (over 3 days). Someone with outside Koi suggested that the recent hot weather might have been a problem? One of his Koi came out with similar symptons and eventually died of heatstroke. Being in a centrally heated house, the water temp is always in the range for tropical fish (according to the thermometer) and the heatwave might have added to this?

I hope that by tomorrow all will be back to normal. This is the first fright I've had for about eight years, so I must be doing something right. :rolleyes:

Kindest regards, Leigh