Do Goldies Greive

karla80

Hi, I lost my Butterball today and although I'm very sad, I am really concerned about Casper. They've been tank mates for years(With me for almost 2 years). He liked being around her, sometimes sleeping beside her and once in a while push her like he wants to play. Apparently she was fine this morning but by afternoon she died. They had their water change yesterday and according to the fish sitter(my aunt) both were fine. I've been away since February 17th and everything was fine until today. She never showed signs of illness and prior to leaving I gave them two full treatments of metromed.

I am worried that Casper will be sad. They moved into their 55 gallon around January, and now he's alone. I won't be back for another 2 weeks. The sitters will take good care of him but when he's alone without Butterball or myself I'm just concerned. Is it possible for a goldie to cope? I do not even know if I should get a new mate or leave him alone. I'll be back home for only 2 weeks then I'm back in Ohio for another 3 months. I may try to take him with me. I do not know, do you think he'll be ok until i get back?

thanks,

karla

I had 2 commons that were together for a few months before one died. They both used to be very active but after the one passed away the other one just wanted to hide out behind his plants most the time. I put some platies and cories in with him and he perked up. Now he's in a bigger tank with a goldfish friend and he continue's to be active and healthy. So in my case, yes my gf needed a friend even if it was some little tropicals. He got along great with all of them. And he seems really happy with his little gf buddy, too.

That's very sad, and I am sorry for your loss.

I think all animals have emotions, but that's just me. Some people think animals don't have souls, thus can't go to heaven. If that's the case, I wouldn't be my heaven anyway. I haven't lost a goldfish yet, so I don't have any experience in this, but I would say they probably do grieve.

hi, thanks for your replies. I've checked in on Casper and i've been told that he is still swimming, even though i do not know if he's trying to find Butterball and he's eating. I plan on getting him a new buddy asap. I am trying to find a way to get back home early but i do not think people understand how hard it is to lose a goldie or how hard it is for a goldie to lose his/her tank mate. I've asked the sitters to try spending more time with him. The one thing they did for me was give Butterball a proper burial than throwing her away.

karla

I don't think that they grieve since I see many goldfish eating their brothers if they happen to die in a tank. I visited a cousin once and saw a gruesome sight in his fishtank.......the eyes of one fish had been eaten out and only a skeleton was left...... And the Bible doesn't say anything about going to heaven...but that's a whole other topic.

I'm sorry for your loss. I do think they notice if a tankmate goes missing especially if they only had the one tankmate. Mine have in the past.

Goldies are sociable, they love fish friends and human friends :)

As you have 55 gals then another tank mate would be perfect! But if I was you Id only get one when you are back home, that way you can quarantine it before adding it to the tank. Unless your sitter is prepared to do alot of waterchanges in the QT tank! I know my sitter would not.

Guest pinktoefunk

I was reading this post and was thinking that my experience losing a fish

certainly concerned a few tankmates and seemingly they needed human

attention to convey their behavior to and wanted to study my human response.

- Just my experience.

I am truly sorry. :cry1

While not an expert by any means, I don't believe they mourn the loss of a fish. While this could be perceived from a change in their activity, it could also be related to the cause of the death of the fish also affecting the other fish, or, as goldfish are social, simply changes in their behavior when alone.

I do move my fish around into other tanks on occasion, and their behavior always changes accordingly on if they are alone, or if they are with a passive, or aggressive goldfish; different ones in different ways.

I've been calling pratically everyday about how Casper is doing and according to the sitters, he's doing pretty good. Eating, swimming, etc. Thanks everyone, maybe the space and meals are keeping him entertained. Cannot wait to see him and keep him company until i find a friend. The sitters visit him when they can just to be sure he's ok.

karla

I had a goldfish that drooped, bottom sat and hid when the other goldfish that I had in the tank died and I had to remove it from my tank. He used to swim under the other fish all the time. The moment he noticed his buddy was gone, I noticed that for a couple of seconds, he just froze and then he began to droop and hide. He'd come out to eat, but didn't swim about as he used to. He kept this up until I added a replacement fish. Then he perked up and started swimming about again. He's perfectly normal now. I won't speculate whether he has emotions, but my older fish may like having company and feels exposed when alone. He doesn't swim under the new fish, but swims independently. Recently, I read that sea horses alone have been known to die if a mate dies. Or not. If there are other seahorses of the opposite gender, they may remate, instead. It's a point well taken, however, that fish eat their buddies, because they do. Also, while most goldfish are pretty placid and get along with one another, Ryukins are known to attack other goldfish, blinding them and even killing them. No mourning there.

Edited by goldenlady

I probably should have said that I won't speculate whether my fish has emotions, but that his behavior seems to indicate that he prefers company. The lack of like fish may mean exposure to enemies.

Edited by goldenlady

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just a quick update :) . I'm home now after nearly 3 months away and I've been observing Casper and he's still pretty active and he gets excited when it's feeding time. His behaviour makes me wonder whether he misses Butterball? He seems lonely in the 55 gallon but at the same time coping well. I want to get him a buddy but I am afraid that this new friend will be aggressive and since he just lost his mate, he may get stressed out. I love goldies but sometimes it is difficult trying to figure out what is best for them.

karla

Early on, when I had tank in the bedroom, there was two Black Moor and Orange Fantail. I was working overnight at nnnnnn and didn't realize how fast the week gone by, because I go to work and it quickly becomes the next day. The Moor wouldn't get the floating food at first, so I thought, take time to get used to it. I've seen him take in one or two flakes. Later, one day, I was sleeping on the bed and I dont know how many times I woke up for a few seconds, and I saw the Moor swimming, then when I woke up completely, I saw the Moor in between the plants, perfectly upright, dead. The orange Fantail looked so sad, sitting there next to it, staring. It was sad. Later, I realized, Moor have poor eyesignt and he probably didnt see the food. It was a beautiful Moor. So sad. Now, I use ProGold and the food sinks to the bottom fast and all of them eat there. So, yes, they do become sad, as I am a witness to one grieving Goldfish.

Thunder