What Do You Call Baby Telescopes?

Sonny

AAAAAAARGH!!! How could I miss this!! SOOOOOOOO cute!! Oh my goodness. Your fry were the same age and you have a PANDA :wub: !! :whatjust:

:nana:panana

They are just beautiful and thanks for the update pics. I must get my 10 month/same birthday fry pics up soon. None are as exquisite as that little panda baby...and the other fry is cute too. the telescope eye is a recessive gene so those flatter eyes are more 'normal' really!

He's a chubber too that one huh! Who would have guessed their color turnout... so many secrets these mysterious fry :D . Planning a second batch inside yet :D ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAAAAAARGH!!! How could I miss this!! SOOOOOOOO cute!! Oh my goodness. Your fry were the same age and you have a PANDA :wub: !! :whatjust:

:nana:panana

They are just beautiful and thanks for the update pics. I must get my 10 month/same birthday fry pics up soon. None are as exquisite as that little panda baby...and the other fry is cute too. the telescope eye is a recessive gene so those flatter eyes are more 'normal' really!

He's a chubber too that one huh! Who would have guessed their color turnout... so many secrets these mysterious fry :D . Planning a second batch inside yet :D ?

Trinket,

I'm not 'planning' another batch. My fish may have other ideas though. It's Spring and they're looking, um, frisky. :exactly

Nice fish!

But Sorry to barge in here, I've had my goldfish fry (Yes from random goldfish, that thought it was time for kids) From I think a pearscale and ryukin. How fast should mine be growing? As I don't have access to brine shrimp until the weekend. They're still you know, pinprick sized and I've only had them for about one day (I don't know how long they've been hatched). I don't have an extra 10 gallon right now... I am keeping them in like a quart measuring cup. I've been feeding them little powdered flakes of goldfish food.

Ok my real question is how fast should they grow? I mean mine are one day old so I shouldn't panic, but they look the same size to me.

Nice fish!

But Sorry to barge in here, I've had my goldfish fry (Yes from random goldfish, that thought it was time for kids) From I think a pearscale and ryukin. How fast should mine be growing? As I don't have access to brine shrimp until the weekend. They're still you know, pinprick sized and I've only had them for about one day (I don't know how long they've been hatched). I don't have an extra 10 gallon right now... I am keeping them in like a quart measuring cup. I've been feeding them little powdered flakes of goldfish food.

Ok my real question is how fast should they grow? I mean mine are one day old so I shouldn't panic, but they look the same size to me.

Trico,

There are some good threads in this section (some are 'stickied') that will help you to know what to expect. Fry hatch with a built-in food supply for a couple of days so you might have a little time. I believe hatching brine shrimp eggs is the best food for growing fry but I'm sure there are other food sources that would work at well. They grow fast if given the proper nutrition and environment. You might consider moving them to a Rubbermaid tub with an air-driven sponge filter. They need more water volume.

Good luck with them!

Sorry for "infiltrating" your thread :unsure: . I'll take a look, but do you know if pet*co has brine shrimp?

Hi Trico, I was able to get brine shrimp eggs and hatcheries at Pet - Co and Pet - Smart. I think they are pretty easy to find in most any local fish store.

The Pet S ma rt has frozen baby brine shrimp (get the baby one - not the brine shrimp for now!) and our local Pet C o has just added a frozen food freezer for these items too. I have also seen tubes of a couple of teaspoons of baby brine shrimp eggs available at the first store.

I get my brine shrimp eggs from brineshrimpdirect.com

:)

If you cannot get frozen or hatch fresh, with CARE, you can cook up an egg yolk and shake it up really hard in a small jar of water until it is yellow water. This infusion of egg yolk can be fed to baby fish for the first week or so. Watch your water parameters, though. The yolk has a way of getting slimey and yucky really fast if it is not fully eaten.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more from today. Individual shots. Their tails aren't as pretty as their parents' but interesting anyway. The panda fish's tail is almost horizontal so I'm amazed s/he can propel itself at all. It would do much better if it swam like a dolphin.

Non-TelescopeTelescopeSide3-9-2008.jpg

Non-TelescopeTelescopeTop3-9-2008.jpg

PandaTelescopeSide3-9-2008.jpg

PandaTelescopeTop3-9-2008.jpg

I take them out of the tank every time I clean it so it gives me a chance to get some pictures.

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys,

Been a while but I was taking some pictures this evening and thought about this thread. Unfortunately I lost one of the babies (years ago) but the other one is still going strong.

I hope all your fish are doing well.

Best,

Sonny

IMG_3889.jpg